follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
alluringreality

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Probably need something more practical

After reading way too much about the FR-S/BRZ, I went and looked at the FR-S at KC dealers yesterday. I considered my 1997 Camaro just barely practical enough to own as an only car, since it's possible to squeeze in four 6 foot people for short trips, and there's about enough space for two on long trips. I found the FR-S comfortably big enough for two people, but after having tried the back seats of the Genesis Coupe and current Mustang, I didn't even bother trying the even less-useful back seats in the FR-S. I guessed the back seats in the FR-S might be as useless as the Mini Cooper, and that's probably the case.

Compared to the previous-generation Camaro I generally liked the FR-S on a couple short test drives. I thought the weight of the FR-S steering was similar to the old Camaro, which is a clear step up from the overly-light steering in my 2012 Impreza. I considered the FR-S steering wheel to be really nice, the manual was a step above the Impeza, I didn't have any objections to the automatic, and I never thought the FR-S suspension felt harsh. I didn't really notice feeling close to the ground in the FR-S that I remembered from the Camaro, but the driving position is clearly an improvement compared to the Impreza and most other cars. Overall the only areas where my Impreza has anything on the FR-S during driving is with far better sight lines to the sides, more vertical steering wheel adjustment, and it doesn't sound so much like a tin can in rain.

For a two-seat car the FR-S would be almost exactly what I'd want, but ideally I'd prefer to own an actual 4 seat car. From sitting in and driving the Genesis Coupe, current Mustang, and latest Camaro I cannot see myself buying any of those cars for various reasons. Basically I thought the FR-S/BRZ might offer some of what I miss about my previous Camaro at a similar inflation-adjusted price, and after driving the manual I was kicking around the idea of trading for the FR-S. I wanted to see if I could do any better on my trade, so I went and drove an automatic. The salesman at the second dealer went into hard sales mode and tried to get me to put down a deposit right then, even though I told him I wanted to look at some other cars in the segment before buying. When he asked what he could do to get me to buy the car right now, I told him he could make the back seat bigger. I really liked the first dealer, and people trying to do pressure sales generally piss me off, and I consider it unprofessional. After that came out of my mouth I'm thinking it's probably where I actually stand, and this car is likely not practical enough for me to own as an only vehicle.
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, you do what you have to do. That's just life and maturity. If the car doesn't work as an only vehicle then it just doesn't. I understand completely. If we didn't have the Camry as a baby mover, there's no way I'd be considering this car at all.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Try a new VW GTI if you need some realistic practicality. I LOVE the seats/wheel/driving position better than even more expensive cars.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
For what it's worth, I don't even consider my RSX a 2+2(or 3), because of how far back I like to have my front seats...visibility would be severely impaired by having just one occupant behind me or the front passenger due to needing to move the seat forward.

The FR-S/BRZ should under no circumstances be considered a 2+2 for anything other than a toddler as a rear seat passenger. I believe some people have theorized the decision to have back seats in the first place might just be an insurance thing.

View this as a CRX or Miata with back seats.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I consider the FRS a 3 seater with the guy behind the passenger's seat a bit slouched heh.
Just get the passenger to skooch up a bit!
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
For what it's worth, I don't even consider my RSX a 2+2(or 3), because of how far back I like to have my front seats...visibility would be severely impaired by having just one occupant behind me or the front passenger due to needing to move the seat forward.

The FR-S/BRZ should under no circumstances be considered a 2+2 for anything other than a toddler as a rear seat passenger. I believe some people have theorized the decision to have back seats in the first place might just be an insurance thing.

View this as a CRX or Miata with back seats.
The RSX have more rear headroom and legroom than a FRS.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
The RSX have more rear headroom and legroom than a FRS.
Of course it does, which further enforces my point.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Drives: 2013 Firestorm GT86 A/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
After reading way too much about the FR-S/BRZ, I went and looked at the FR-S at KC dealers yesterday. I considered my 1997 Camaro just barely practical enough to own as an only car, since it's possible to squeeze in four 6 foot people for short trips, and there's about enough space for two on long trips. I found the FR-S comfortably big enough for two people, but after having tried the back seats of the Genesis Coupe and current Mustang, I didn't even bother trying the even less-useful back seats in the FR-S. I guessed the back seats in the FR-S might be as useless as the Mini Cooper, and that's probably the case.

Compared to the previous-generation Camaro I generally liked the FR-S on a couple short test drives. I thought the weight of the FR-S steering was similar to the old Camaro, which is a clear step up from the overly-light steering in my 2012 Impreza. I considered the FR-S steering wheel to be really nice, the manual was a step above the Impeza, I didn't have any objections to the automatic, and I never thought the FR-S suspension felt harsh. I didn't really notice feeling close to the ground in the FR-S that I remembered from the Camaro, but the driving position is clearly an improvement compared to the Impreza and most other cars. Overall the only areas where my Impreza has anything on the FR-S during driving is with far better sight lines to the sides, more vertical steering wheel adjustment, and it doesn't sound so much like a tin can in rain.

For a two-seat car the FR-S would be almost exactly what I'd want, but ideally I'd prefer to own an actual 4 seat car. From sitting in and driving the Genesis Coupe, current Mustang, and latest Camaro I cannot see myself buying any of those cars for various reasons. Basically I thought the FR-S/BRZ might offer some of what I miss about my previous Camaro at a similar inflation-adjusted price, and after driving the manual I was kicking around the idea of trading for the FR-S. I wanted to see if I could do any better on my trade, so I went and drove an automatic. The salesman at the second dealer went into hard sales mode and tried to get me to put down a deposit right then, even though I told him I wanted to look at some other cars in the segment before buying. When he asked what he could do to get me to buy the car right now, I told him he could make the back seat bigger. I really liked the first dealer, and people trying to do pressure sales generally piss me off, and I consider it unprofessional. After that came out of my mouth I'm thinking it's probably where I actually stand, and this car is likely not practical enough for me to own as an only vehicle.
I hear you loud an clear. If it weren't for my 1st car being a 2011 Sonata. I'd not have even considered this car. But that's life indeed. You plan it according to your tastes and practicality.

I bought Sonata in 2010 when I got married. An amazing car which has served me well till now and shall serve me just fine when I have kids. Toyota86 shall be my 2nd car so that right there was my plan from the get go. Invest in a nice family car first to make room for an enthusiast ride as seconds. Life is rich with pleasure and I'm loving every moment of it.

God bless us all.

UAE - Lightning Red Mid-Spec - Delivered 25th July'12 > IT'S HERE <
Imti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
I own both a current generation Mustang GT and a Mini Cooper, and spent some time inside a FRS and the back seat of a friend's Camaro, I really didn't feel a large amount of difference between the back seat room of any of the four cars. The Mini Cooper and Mustang back seat room is about the same. We've taken 5-6+ hour trips with my two kids in the back of each, and there is no appreciable difference in available room in either car. Very adequate for my kids (ages 8-9) and should be for a few more years, and ok for an adult or two in back for short distances. If you're needing to fit four 6' adults in a car comfortably for any length of time, you need to be looking at a mid-sized sedan at the minimum.
Miniata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
Try a new VW GTI if you need some realistic practicality. I LOVE the seats/wheel/driving position better than even more expensive cars.
This^ Also the Focus ST, MS3, previous gen Civic Si sedan.
That's what these cars are made for. They maintain a level of affordable sportiness and fun, while having the ability to lug people and things around.

There is no point going the square pegs and round holes route. If it doesn't fit your current lifestyle, it doesn't fit.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniata View Post
I own both a current generation Mustang GT and a Mini Cooper, and spent some time inside a FRS and the back seat of a friend's Camaro, I really didn't feel a large amount of difference between the back seat room of any of the four cars. The Mini Cooper and Mustang back seat room is about the same. We've taken 5-6+ hour trips with my two kids in the back of each, and there is no appreciable difference in available room in either car. Very adequate for my kids (ages 8-9) and should be for a few more years, and ok for an adult or two in back for short distances. If you're needing to fit four 6' adults in a car comfortably for any length of time, you need to be looking at a mid-sized sedan at the minimum.
I think it depends a lot on driving position too. I tend to have a more upright, closer to the wheel seating position so I can rest my wrist on the top of the steering wheel while my shoulders touch the seat. Most of the people I know have their seats way farther back than I like unless they're really short.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
I think it depends a lot on driving position too. I tend to have a more upright, closer to the wheel seating position so I can rest my wrist on the top of the steering wheel while my shoulders touch the seat. Most of the people I know have their seats way farther back than I like unless they're really short.
Definitely depends on driving position, as well as the length of the driver's legs, of course, and the tolerance of the driver (and how accomodating they are of the back seat passengers). A lot of people jump in cars like these, shove the front seat all the way back, and say "look, no room in the back seat!".

For autocross or spirited street driving I have my seat up pretty close to the steering wheel. For normal street driving by myself I move the seat farther back, usually all the way back in the Mustang and a few clicks from all the way back in the Mini (I'm 6'1" tall with 33" inseam), but if I have back seat passengers I move the seat up closer to the wheel, sometimes almost up to where my knees almost hit the dash. Not ideal, but not terribly uncomfortable for a few hours, as I'm willing to make concessions for people in the back seat.
Miniata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
R8
Spinning Triangles

Drives: RX-8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
For a two-seat car the FR-S would be almost exactly what I'd want, but ideally I'd prefer to own an actual 4 seat car...
Exactly the thought that gave birth to the (now gone) RX-8...
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
thats most of our stories. the FRS as the only car is good if you're single, no kids, no wife.... no strollers, or extended family members. i think most of us know that and so we have other vehicles that do that job...

all that means is, its not time for you yet....

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote