follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #15
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Yeah you hear a lot of negatives but as you start to dig into the community you hear a lot of positives too, pretty much like any enthusiast vehicle. If someone who knew nothing about the BRZ/86 was cruising around the internet and the tech section here was the first place they stumbled on they would think the car is a hoopty out of the factory. MuseChaser's experience is definitely valid and seemingly not uncommon but again, like I said upthread, there's a pretty good chance that after 15 years of regular service an awful lot of the gremlins should have been worked out by now and the level and type of chatter about problems on LR forums and Fb groups kind of shows that. I keep talking to people with 200k+ on theirs and a lot of them say the same thing, it was an adventure for a while there but it got easier after a while because I replaced everything and now it just goes and goes. This one is fairly low mileage so it may still have another round of issues ahead of it but it's spending an awful lot of time in the shop before I bring it home, hopefully they take care of the basics and give me a good baseline to go with.

Reality is I know that at this price it's a throwaway, if I get a year out of it and have to get rid of it I'll be disappointed but not surprised. If I get two years I'll be happy and will reassess whether to keep it and make another round of investments in it's future. It's really surprising how inexpensive some of the parts for it are, things that people have paid thousands for are down to old Dodge truck prices. Even replacement motors that were $15k are a couple grand at most, cheaper than I'm finding for my BRZ. Air susp rebuild parts like shock seal kits are $30 and the airbags are like $100 and with the coastal northeast being one of the N American hotspots for LR's there are a couple of pretty good specialty salvage yards, you never see that for most other brands of vehicles other than a handful. The thing isn't rusty and I'll get under it and clean it up and use that Por15 stuff so maybe it'll stay that way and I can work on it without the rustbucket issues that usually turn me off.

Yeah I'm going into it with rose colored glasses but you kinda have to because that Prince of Darkness dude can't handle positivity For the same money I could get a 4Runner with 250k miles that "needs some light work" and new tires or an Accord with 200k that has a thoroughly worn out drivers seat and still has the original spark plugs or I could get something super nice, with a good service history being prepped by a pro that I've known for 30 years that should be a great road trip rig for me to work out of. It's also fast as shit and sounds fkn mean both things the BRZ doesn't have going for it.
Well, I wish you the best of luck. In the northeast, the guys at Rovers North were always very helpful to me. I know people take their Rovers to the ends of the earth, almost literally, but the ones that do so are generally experienced field mechanics carrying lots of important backup parts for good reason. The articles in the Rovers North newsprint newsletter they send to their customers were great fun to read. Don't know if they still send those out..haven't had a River for a while. Right now, my Rover replacement is a Lexus version of a 100-series Toyota Land Cruiser. With 150k on it right now,it drives, looks, and sounds brand new and hasn't ever given me a hint of an issue. Our Rover was in great condition when we bought it with 50k on the clock. At 130k, it looked awful, rattled like a '56 Willys, and was basically shot; I sold it for $2k. During the time we owned it, I had replaced the heater core, fan, and a bunch of associated electrical stuff in the dash (a hellacious three day job), replaced the entire suspension, and done a bunch of other fairly major repair jobs on TOP of the considerable amount of routine care and feeding these cars require. I am fastidious about maintenance in all my vehicles..oil changes every 3k, filters, diffs (and front swivel housings on the Rover) every 15k, brake fluid every 30k, plugs,wires, caps, etc...whatever was recommended in the service manual, it got done more often and/or earlier. That Rover left us stranded more times than all of the other cars we've owned combined. Maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much.
Like I said, I drive a Land Cruiser now when I'm not driving the FRS.. All of the capabilities of a Rover, except everything always works and they last forever.

I'd still buy a hobby Rover...I DID love it. Still don't know why.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #16
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A cheap Cruiser/4R/GX470/460/LX are triple the price and a good one is 5X what I'm paying for this so if I know that and have a bit set aside for repairs it will probably still cost less than those would. That's the only reason I'm doing it (aside from it will probably be my last sweet sounding V8 before going electric in a few years), I was pretty much set on a GX470 and had started looking at them when this landed in my lap. I love LC's, had a few back in the day, and would definitely have gone that way but the price premium on them now is outrageous. To get one with under 200k that's not a basket case you're looking at $15k for one from the mid or early 1990's, if I was in the position to drop 15+ I'd be looking at something 3 years old off lease with a 7-100 CPO warranty. This is ~11 years younger than those with way lower mileage and will be fully serviced and ready to go for at least a year (I hope). With the GX you can get nice looking ones the same age with 150k for about double what I'm paying so we decided to take that difference and have it available for repairs to this, and who knows what might come up on that ~$8-10k GX without the comprehensive service that would send it over the top. I'm focused on the GX because they're usually the same price or lower than a similar V8 4R and in much better shape as well as being way nicer.

Thanks for the tip on Rovers North, I'll be in that area often enough that it'll be good to have a network of places that understand these things.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #17
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Ours is an '05 LX470. Paid $14,500 w/ 138K on the clock two years ago. Had to repair the Levinson subwoofer surround and fix the CD changer (previous owner's kids had thrown change into it and jammed it. Not fun). Other than that, it was in pretty much perfect condition. Changed all the fluids, including the AHC system, replaced the "T"s in the heater hose lines, and have taken it all over the place. They really are awesome vehicles. We paid $15K for our '93 Rover County LWB w/ 50K miles on it back in the late 90s... and spent at LEAST that much on it in repairs and maintenance in the next 80K miles. I get what you're saying, but really the only way you're going come out ahead with the Rover is if ... well... you just love Rovers. It's going to cost you more money than a Cruiser despite the much lower acquisition cost, and it's going to cost you a lot more time and aggravation.

Post pictures when you get it!!! I'll enjoy it THROUGH you... even better... Still miss "Emma." She was a lot of fun and a beautiful vehicle. Just very high maintenance.
gravitylover (10-12-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #18
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
What everyone is trying to tell you is that the cost for the vehicle is a down payment on a never ending project that you will be sustaining, not just owning. Like owning a plastic pool that has pin hole leaks; the hose is always running and you're just spending money to sustain the water level.

The cost of the pool is where the expense begins.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #19
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Do what makes you happy man.

But please keep us informed.

Not in a mean or sarcastic way. But for research!

Maybe this thread turns into a "Range Rovers are super reliable and fun!"

Or maybe this thread turns into a "what a British POS...they don't understand electronics!"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atropine For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #20
gravitylover

^^ I will for sure! Sometimes I start threads as a repository for my thoughts and questions so I have an easy place to go back to for answers and to get smacked back into reality, this is one of those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
What everyone is trying to tell you is that the cost for the vehicle is a down payment on a never ending project that you will be sustaining, not just owning. Like owning a plastic pool that has pin hole leaks; the hose is always running and you're just spending money to sustain the water level.

The cost of the pool is where the expense begins.
Yup, here and on other forums too it's the same thing. Thankfully there are a few people that have positive experiences to relay and help to balance it out which is nice. Again though it comes down to the initial investment and this LR is so inexpensive and should be so well sorted that a good GX like MuseChaser has would be 4X more expensive to buy and then higher to get to this level of readiness. Just the 4 new tires, fluid change and new pads/rotors all around would put a good, no rust, GX or Landcruiser with~200k close to $20k and in this low income Covid world I'm stuck with at the moment that's just not possible.

@MuseChaser if you have a preferred LR mechanic in central NY I'd love to know who it is, I spend a lot of time in that area and might need it some time
Old 10-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #21
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Range rovers are awesome, supercharged range rovers are not. I would never own or suggest owning a supercharged rover.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #22
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Best wishes for a good times in your Range Rover. My British cars reminded me of an historic English author whose name violates forum rules I guess, ****ens: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

I used to hunt for cars like that, deals unobtainable when new but screaming deals used. Some worked out, some didn't, so the time, energy and resource sucking projects were sold quickly but it's funny, I still recall the positives from those experiences. It's probably denial.

Here's a list of TSB's, Recalls, Campaigns and Advisories for a Sport model '06 that might be like yours, 180 altogether, 5 of those recalls that might still be covered but the TSB's and Advisories are on you. The number, date and title might be helpful to diagnose and repair issues if you're a DIY type or reference for your mechanic.

https://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/68/06682913.html

Good luck, post pics!
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #23
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Quote:
^^ I will for sure! Sometimes I start threads as a repository for my thoughts and questions so I have an easy place to go back to for answers and to get smacked back into reality, this is one of those times.

Yup, here and on other forums too it's the same thing. Thankfully there are a few people that have positive experiences to relay and help to balance it out which is nice. Again though it comes down to the initial investment and this LR is so inexpensive and should be so well sorted that a good GX like MuseChaser has would be 4X more expensive to buy and then higher to get to this level of readiness. Just the 4 new tires, fluid change and new pads/rotors all around would put a good, no rust, GX or Landcruiser with~200k close to $20k and in this low income Covid world I'm stuck with at the moment that's just not possible.

@MuseChaser if you have a preferred LR mechanic in central NY I'd love to know who it is, I spend a lot of time in that area and might need it some time
Jesus 200k LC100 for 20 grand!?! They used to be bargains but I guess folks have "caught on". Last year I nabbed a 97 4runner, 98k miles, no rust, well maintained, for a bit over 8 grand. It's a tank. You can probably keep the rover on the road as long as you are super attentive and don't cut corners with preventative maintenance. Have fun with it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #24
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Jesus 200k LC100 for 20 grand!?! They used to be bargains but I guess folks have "caught on". Last year I nabbed a 97 4runner, 98k miles, no rust, well maintained, for a bit over 8 grand. It's a tank. You can probably keep the rover on the road as long as you are super attentive and don't cut corners with preventative maintenance. Have fun with it!
200k and a whole slew of maintenance before it goes on the road for $20k You can buy them for 12-16 but the lower end of the scale is northeast/midwest rusty so get to that higher end and add the extra prep and there you are at 20. 4R's are similar, maybe a little less but not much and don't even think about an FJ Cruiser. Toyota went premium The XTerra is cheap but those are cheesy. This seller is throwing over $3k into this so I don't get hosed by something they had neglected before so I'm starting in a pretty good place (I hope).
Old 10-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #25
evomike

Quote:
This seller is throwing over $3k into this so I don't get hosed by something they had neglected before so I'm starting in a pretty good place (I hope).
how old is the compressor, distribution and struts? i would plan for a few grand over the next year or two if you plan to drive it and they are original or even if they were replaced some time ago. I would also turn the heat on and check that the blend doors actually work if not its a complete nightmare to change.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #26
gravitylover

That's a good tip on the blend doors, I didn't do that when I saw it the first time. Thanks. Anything else hiding inside the dashboard that might jump out and bite me? Compressor and 2 of the air shocks were replaced but yeah that's definitely one of those things that has to be front and center. I'm sure not married to air suspension, in fact I don't really think I'll ever take full advantage of it other than it rides really nicely so I've already done some looking around and you can replace it with a nice coil setup for $1k and then program out the bullshit associated with it. That eliminates half of all the TSB's ever released for LR's for a total of a few hours and a few beers with a friend in the driveway on a sunny day.

I think I'm gonna need some new tools, the one for programming these is $500. Gonna need to explain that to "she who controls our world"
Old 10-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #27
evomike

Quote:
That's a good tip on the blend doors, I didn't do that when I saw it the first time. Thanks. Anything else hiding inside the dashboard that might jump out and bite me? Compressor and 2 of the air shocks were replaced but yeah that's definitely one of those things that has to be front and center. I'm sure not married to air suspension, in fact I don't really think I'll ever take full advantage of it other than it rides really nicely so I've already done some looking around and you can replace it with a nice coil setup for $1k and then program out the bullshit associated with it. That eliminates half of all the TSB's ever released for LR's for a total of a few hours and a few beers with a friend in the driveway on a sunny day.

I think I'm gonna need some new tools, the one for programming these is $500. Gonna need to explain that to "she who controls our world"
those are the big things distribution blocks and struts. they do make a spring conversion kit that is worth doing the first time you do a strut because they absolutely suck to change out. I would buy a GAP iid tool now if you do not have access to a diagnostic scanner at all times. The AJ motors are great i am not sure what kind timing chain guides this engine has but i would look into that.
The Following User Says Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (10-13-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #28
gravitylover

@evomike What's your preferred solution to badly hazed headlights?