follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #57
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moniz View Post
Actually you DON'T want a dealer style rust proofing as it's usually crap.

A proper rust proof job will NOT be dripless. Dripping is a sign that they've done a good job getting at damn near every weld and seam which is what you really want covered. I've used Krown for years and trust their technique implicitly. Plus it's an annual application, but worth it if you plan to keep this car for a long time. My 14 year Acura is still rust free.

The dripping only lasts a day or two, and you can wash the car after no problem to remove any excess that will seep after and if your especially anal, you will want to detail the engine bay as it will see some spraying, but the whole point of rustproofing is to displace any moisture from getting at and corroding any weak spots, hence why oil spray will always be best to protect your car, and why it will drip.
Mis-information dude...

The dealership has the BEST rust proofing you can get. They have metal rod nozzles that slip inside the door shells to spray in there. The best thing to buy when gettng your frs is to get the dealer optional rust proofing package. It also comes with a 10 year corrosion free garantee.

I will still continue with oil spraying every year before winter even though I got the rust proofing package.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #58
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
does everyone really feel it necessary to rust proof INSIDE the panels?

I've always just rust proofed the suspension components (as those are the first to rust)

I've never really seen many cars rust from the inside of the panels out (except for mazdas and older american cars)
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #59
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
FYI don't get the oil based rust proof on the clear bra it'll damage it.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #60
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Anyone recommend a corrosion free dealer besides canadian tire in toronto? OR a Canadian tire that has a good rust proofer?
congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #61
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Don't go to crappy tire, they hire high schoolers for everything.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kazuya For This Useful Post:
Rakshaa (02-05-2014)
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #62
Snowball

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I personally went to Robinson Automotive in Mississauga (Dixie & Britannia) They did the Corrosion free application in about one hour. No dripping, and i can see where they applied the gel in the wheel wells/trunk/door jams/etc. staff was polite, and it was a good experience overall

Alternatively, you can also check out:http://www.finedetails.ca/rustproofing.php I've heard a lot of good things with their "Non-Drip rust inhibitor" which i believe is similar to the corrosion free stuff. Just give them a call first, since only certain locations do the rust-proofing.
Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #63
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipPoopers View Post
How frequently do they want you to renew the dealer rustproofing?

I bought my car used and I'm not 100% sure when the rustproof was done, presumably when the car was bought, but I still get my hands covered in oil every time I open up the hood so it appears to still be doing its job in the engine bay.

Presumably they go to the same effort of coating the trouble points of the car?

My underside has bottomed out a few times and is chewed up in a couple of spots, just waiting for the rust to come.
It's a one time procedure with the dealer optional rust proofing. Best to have it done when you are purchasing your car. I think the package was an extra $800 at regular price but I got them to cut me a deal for it when I purchased my FRS.

I think they rubberize a few spots on the car too. At least that's what my buddy told me who oil spray's my car.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #64
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Made an appointment with fine details in markham next week for full body rust proofing. They have a promo of $80 for the whole car. Anyone have experience with them? Should I stay away??

November 13 EDIT:

Got my car rust proofed at fine details in markham. Process took about an hour for a full body coverage. Shop was really busy with only 2 service guys working. Probably saw atleast 10 cars coming in and out within that one hour I was there. Had to come back an hour after my scheduled appointment since they were that busy. Probably should have booked an earlier appointment.

They have a promotion of $80 for a full car service however, I felt like they only gave me a half car service. All parts listed in the corrosion free list were covered BUT, they were half sprayed. For example, the trunk was sprayed but only half the seams were sprayed. Engine compartment was fully sprayed BUT some areas that were easily accessible underneath the engine were not sprayed. I'm hoping that the half spray is for the gel to "drip" down over time.

They also oversprayed in some areas like the battery or door locks... Looked like someone took a load on my battery. Left a weird residue and oil smell. Didn't bother going back since it was only $80 and most of the major parts were sprayed.

EDI: Nov 13.

Turns out, fine details DOES NOT use corrosion free anymore. However, they use a similar rust proofing, gel like substance. Also, every 18 months. So weird considering the markham location has corrosion free advertisements everywhere.

Last edited by congee; 11-13-2013 at 08:24 PM.
congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #65
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Mis-information dude...

The dealership has the BEST rust proofing you can get. They have metal rod nozzles that slip inside the door shells to spray in there. The best thing to buy when gettng your frs is to get the dealer optional rust proofing package. It also comes with a 10 year corrosion free garantee.

I will still continue with oil spraying every year before winter even though I got the rust proofing package.
What I was referring to was those stupid electronic rust proofing things they offer. A waste of money. I don't know of a single dealer anywhere around me that doesn't ONLY offer the electronic rust proof crap. Not one offers spraying. And dealers are not the only ones that have those long rod nozzles that get into the panels. That's what Krown uses as well. That's also considered oil spraying as well, what you are referring to. The dripping is the price of protection. Short term pain for long term gain.
Past-'89 Civic Si ('93-'99)-'94 Civic Si ('99-'07)-'07 GTI(Lease)('07-'10)'98 Acura EL ('03-'13)Current-'12 Honda Fit Sport'10 Mazda5 ('10- Family car)No FR-S for me Kids in car seats still and just wouldn't work in an FR-S especially in winter.
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote