follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Subaru dealer damaged my car - What is a fair expectation?

Hi all,

Set foot in my local Subaru dealer for the first time to get my 6k free oil change and ended up going back home in a brand new Accord (mmm so comfy). A very young looking dealer employee drove my car into another parked Subaru and damaged the front bumper and fender.

They are currently working with a repair center to give me a time estimate. They will cover all repair costs and use OEM parts for repairs. They also gave me a brand new rental car. To sum up, they seem to be doing everything to correct their mistake.

On the other hand, the only thing I received in return for this whole trouble and possible diminished resale value is a free oil change coupon and a "Sorry man, that is actually my favourite car". I first offered that they fix some other cosmetic blemishes with the car while they were at it as a goodwill gesture on their part, but the managers just refused. Then I suggested that they provide me a statement in writing confirming that they wouldn't use the current incident to lower my car's trade in value if I decide to trade it in for something else in the future, which they accepted (I haven't received anything yet though).

I am trying not to make a big deal out of it, but wondering what you guys would consider as "fair"? Is it enough that they just fix their mess up and I don't have an "original" car anymore? Should I look for a "diminished value appraisal" when picking the car up?
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OND For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
If it shows up on a history report as an accident, the value will drop regardless of what they give you in writing.
OND (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
OND

Yeah, that whole thing stemmed from me asking them rhetorically "Would you value this car the same as a no accident car if I wanted to trade it in today?" and the lady replied "Yes". That's why I asked for it in writing to see if they can back up their claim or just making stuff up on the phone. I am aware any statement that they give me doesn't mean anything for any other buyer.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If it won't show up on a car fax, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it will, I'd be demanding an even trade for a similar car, lol.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
But seriously, your incident is my nightmare.

I always try to bring my car in on a nice weather day with it freshly detailed just hoping beyond hope that the persons entrusted with its care might notice, and treat 'er accordingly. And so far I've been lucky . . . or my plan works.

It sounds like you're being looked after pretty well.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geezerbrzeezer For This Useful Post:
OND (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Regardless of Carfax - if it involves replacing entire panels (bumper, fender, etc) - you'll lose the OEM VIN tags on those body panels. You _WILL_ have diminished value upon sale or trade in. These VIN tags are common knowledge now and every buyer looking at a car that is more expensive than your random junker Civic is going to check for those. I've seen it over and over (I've owned 20 cars, sold all of them except for 2 at this point). If one of those tags is missing - your car is automatically worth thousands less. Also, you won't be able to tell your prospective buyer that your car has never been in an accident or had paint/body work done - unless you like bad karma.

Tell them about this, tell them that you know it. Tell them that you demand a check from their insurance company for the diminished value differential after they completely fix it to like new condition with OEM parts. They screwed up, they damaged your car. Treat this like any auto accident where you are not at fault.

You have all the power here, take it.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
acetothermus (11-03-2016), g e (11-08-2016), OND (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
acetothermus

Drives: Flying in a Blue Dream
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
But get a look at her first.
Very much this first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
WTF
And hey...fair is fair. They damaged his lady...Them's fighting actions...
acetothermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
As mentioned in previous posts, if you're worried about monetary loss, you'll have to claim diminished value from their insurance (good luck though as its always a fun fight through this process). I'd be hesitant to only deal with their dealership as no loss in trade in (I mean, do you know 100% that your next car is going to be a subaru)? In the end, it's up to you what you think is "right." If you decide you're driving this car to the ground, then it wouldn't really matter in the long run, but if you do decide to switch cars in the next few years, than you'd be taking the financial hit.

As for the car, be weary of the repairs that our done. OEM parts is one thing, but quality of work is what matters first and foremost. Make sure the paint matching is accurate, no corners were cut. Especially since the dealership is doing this at their cost, it's all the more reason for them to get the job done quick and dirty.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
johan (11-04-2016), OND (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Extremely sorry for you that this happened...

My Opinion...

Find out who is the General manager, or better yet, owner of that dealership.

Contact him/her and use this little word in any sentence : Lawyer. Often helps quite a bit...and best used in a written letter from yourself.

In a dealership, believe it or not, the shit flows to the top. Owners/top management often are the ones dealing with real customer complaints. So, screw the chain of command...go to the top immediately.

They owe you , at this point...either a new car now, or a cash payment for diminished value, in addition to them paying for repairing the car to your satisfaction.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 11-03-2016 at 08:14 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
NLS8520 (11-09-2016), OND (11-03-2016), why? (11-12-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
OND

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Regardless of Carfax - if it involves replacing entire panels (bumper, fender, etc) - you'll lose the OEM VIN tags on those body panels. You _WILL_ have diminished value upon sale or trade in. These VIN tags are common knowledge now and every buyer looking at a car that is more expensive than your random junker Civic is going to check for those. I've seen it over and over (I've owned 20 cars, sold all of them except for 2 at this point). If one of those tags is missing - your car is automatically worth thousands less. Also, you won't be able to tell your prospective buyer that your car has never been in an accident or had paint/body work done - unless you like bad karma.

Tell them about this, tell them that you know it. Tell them that you demand a check from their insurance company for the diminished value differential after they completely fix it to like new condition with OEM parts. They screwed up, they damaged your car. Treat this like any auto accident where you are not at fault.

You have all the power here, take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
As mentioned in previous posts, if you're worried about monetary loss, you'll have to claim diminished value from their insurance (good luck though as its always a fun fight through this process). I'd be hesitant to only deal with their dealership as no loss in trade in (I mean, do you know 100% that your next car is going to be a subaru)? In the end, it's up to you what you think is "right." If you decide you're driving this car to the ground, then it wouldn't really matter in the long run, but if you do decide to switch cars in the next few years, than you'd be taking the financial hit.

As for the car, be weary of the repairs that our done. OEM parts is one thing, but quality of work is what matters first and foremost. Make sure the paint matching is accurate, no corners were cut. Especially since the dealership is doing this at their cost, it's all the more reason for them to get the job done quick and dirty.
Thanks for the solid advice guys. Let's see how it turns out. Crystal white pearl should be a tough one to match, I just hope the body shop does an acceptable job. I was really itching to have a nice drive this weekend with the new tires and alignment, but I guess I'll have to wait for a while..
Old 11-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #11
OND

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Extremely sorry for you that this happened...

Find out who is the General manager, or better yet, owner of that dealership.

Contact him/her and use this little word in any sentence : Lawyer. Often helps quite a bit...and best used in a written letter from yourself.

In a dealership, believe it or not, the shit flows to the top. Owners/top management often are the ones dealing with real customer complaints. So, screw the chain of command...go to the top immediately.

They owe you , at this point...either a new car now, or a cash payment for diminished value, in addition to them paying for repairing the car to your satisfaction.
Thanks, I am really not expecting a new car or anything from the dealership, but I will look into the diminished value claim. Waiting to see how the repair turns out first.

Honestly, I would probably say "sh*t happens" and move on if the service manager and the service "liaison" (whatever the f that means) sounded sincere in their apologies and told me that due to this and that reason they couldn't help me further, but their attitude in handling the situation is getting to my nerves.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
life is crappy
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #13
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
"Honestly, I would probably say "sh*t happens" and move on if the service manager and the service "liaison" (whatever the f that means) sounded sincere in their apologies and told me that due to this and that reason they couldn't help me further, but their attitude in handling the situation is getting to my nerves."

Additional thoughts on my part:

As I've stated before, best to deal with General manager of dealership or owner of dealership. A way which often works best...Have a sit down, with this person, privately, office door closed, with no one else within hear shot. This can be accomplished either by appointment, or walk-in by yourself. Call their receptionist, find out just when that management person will be in house. Amazing what happens in a face to face situation in which both parties are calm. Arm yourself with questions written down.

Other option...Call your own insurance company. It's just like someone else hit your car, and they are insured. Your company may be willing to deal with the 'accident' without charge, easier than you paying for a lawyer.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #14
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
That's why I try to avoid dealers/repair shops at all costs and do stuff like oil changes myself. Honestly, I don't think there's ever been a time where I walked out of a shop without other issues created by the service people.
OND (11-03-2016)