follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2020, 12:47 AM   #57
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Just to clarify, you had the JDM pink springs, first on Showa, then on Sachs; they matched fine with Showa and too stiff with Sachs.
And 2017+ tS versions are softer than JDM pinks?

Ya. Showa + PSS & I thought i was almost driving my camry... it was really comfy & that setup had tons of grip on bad roads too.

JDM pinks doesn't match with Sachs like Showa did. I pretty much feel most of the cracks on the road... it gets tiring if I'm driving for extend period of time to be honest. it's definitely very sporty but I'm not floaty at all. It's basically at the point that I want to have some adjustment.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 01:40 AM   #58
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So now that I've finished setting up the new 2018 ts springs and dampers on my '13 (previously has '17 PP), I've got some notes:

Ride is noticeably more busy over the small stuff, but only slightly more impactful over the big stuff. I prefer the P. Pack for commuting, but the ts is totally adequate for daily driving.

I noticed that after installing them, the front dropped slightly and the rear was raised slightly. While before, the P.P. suspension was dead even front/rear from the subframe pinch welds, now it's got a 5mm forward rake with the ts setup.

I've been frequenting my local canyons roads to try and get a proper feel for them, and I got to say that I think the P.P is better for canyons. The ts feels almost too nimble and darty...the rear really is quite eager to step out. You have to be suuuuper smooth with the inputs, but on a really tight, undulating road, it still becomes unsettled quite easily, and that's even after increasing the rear neg. camber by another half a degree! I believe part of the it is the increased rake pushing the weight balance forward and taking weight off the rear. Not very confidence inspiring for driving quite fast, especially under hard downhill braking. However, it is very engaging and exciting!

That said, I took it out for back-to-back auto-x events this month, and it is clearly the superior setup for a closed course. That eagerness to rotate pays off in spades and makes it all the more satisfying to drive.

Granted, I'm using a lot more than the non-existent camber the cars came with.
BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueWhelan For This Useful Post:
Espi (08-30-2020)
Old 07-31-2022, 06:54 PM   #59
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Bump because there doesn’t seem to be a clear answer.

I just picked up a used set of BRZ ts struts with pink springs with the sti branding on them.

Do these offer any lowering of the car compared to stock GTS suspension from an 86, or is the difference purely in the stiffer performance? These aren’t US spec if that makes a difference.

Ideally I’m looking for a 10-15mm drop

Last edited by Sam86; 07-31-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #60
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Bump because there doesn’t seem to be a clear answer.

I just picked up a used set of BRZ ts struts with pink springs with the sti branding on them.

Do these offer any lowering of the car compared to stock GTS suspension from an 86, or is the difference purely in the stiffer performance? These aren’t US spec if that makes a difference.

Ideally I’m looking for a 10-15mm drop

What color is the sticker/part number?

Here are some codes you can compare to confirm which strut/country they are from

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=139971&page=7

To really get the most of out them you'd also have to install the supporting STI/ts parts that go along with stiffening the chassis.

You'll feel a slightly sporty/mildly stiffer setup, but it won't drop the car enough to notice. It will still feel mostly stock.
Espi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Espi For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #61
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post

Here are some codes you can compare to confirm which strut/country they are from

To really get the most of out them you'd also have to install the supporting STI/ts parts that go along with stiffening the chassis.

You'll feel a slightly sporty/mildly stiffer setup, but it won't drop the car enough to notice. It will still feel mostly stock.
Thanks,
From memory I think it has a blue and yellow marking so going off that it looks like a 10mm drop.

I picked up the whole assembly for under $200 so if the performance isn’t the exact same as the OEM ts with the other sti components then I can’t really complain.

Last edited by Sam86; 08-01-2022 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:42 PM   #62
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post

Do you know if those height drops relate to the rear aswel? As there’s no height listed next to the rear spring code. Or does it mean only the front springs are 10mm lower.

I know the stock suspension for my 86 has the rear sitting higher than the front, not sure if these springs are going to make that front to rear bias even worse or if the Ts springs on saach suspension level out the front and rear ride height.

I have blue and yellow marked front springs which as supposedly a 10mm drop, and yellow and purple rear springs which have no drop listed
Old 08-09-2022, 12:20 PM   #63
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Blue and yellow is US spec ts springs that came on the ts Sachs dampers. Those are B/Y front and P/Y rears. For height changes, see my previous post. This is the set I took straight off a 2020 ts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:10 PM   #64
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I'm the OP of the complete list. I can confirm that JDM STi aftermarket pink springs lower 15 mm both the front and the rear.
I can't confirm that tS/STi Sport OEM springs lower 10 mm the back too.
In my opinion, looking at photos, no...
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (08-09-2022)
Old 04-11-2023, 02:30 PM   #65
blues15dp

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just wanna say thanks to everyone who’s input on this thread over the past FIVE YEARS. This week I’ve just mounted a USDM spec tS suspension onto my 2013 BRZ with 130,000 miles and this thread helped wonderfully.

For anyone who’s curious, after taking out dampers with 130,000 miles on them, the ride improved despite the increased stiffness and decreased ride height of the tS pink/ Sachs damper combo. Guess it really was past time

Hoping to continue my conversion to tS spec. Already have some of the bushings in my possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blues15dp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blues15dp For This Useful Post:
Espi (04-20-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 11:51 AM   #66
Koba

Drives: 2020 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what the stock spring rates are on 2017-2020 base model?... couldn't find anything online.
Koba is offline   Reply With Quote