follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #15
Magyarman

Drives: 2016 FR-S series 2.0 , 2002avalon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WOW! Someone else actually used (tried to use) Classic Car wax!-

Back in the day (1970), I had a BRG MGB-GT and thought it was a "classic", so, I purchased the "best" paste wax money could buy (Classic Car Wax). Early one Saturday morning I started applying the wax, late Sunday night I will still trying to get the last of it off!

I kept it for several years, but finally threw it away without ever using it again!

I had a green 66 VW bug and it was the same deal dawn to dusk. My knuckles were sore for a few days. I was a teenager at that time!!

I bought a Nova in 69 and stopped using Classic Car Wax as my hands couldn't take it any more!
Magyarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magyarman For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Waaaaay back in the day, selecting a car wax was easy, there was only one (almost).

The old guys would say "I'm gonna Simonize" my machine.

Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-04-2020), Magyarman (07-25-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:10 AM   #17
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax

If you're using the Turtle Wax line, S&S is more of a beader while the Ice Spray Wax is more of sheeter. I personally prefer sheeting to reduce watermarks & even dust spots the water droplets being left when the car is parked for a long time. Besides, water droplets can hurt your paint too as they act as small magnifying glass when you get that sunny break.

You can use the most durable TW HS Ceramic Spray for seasonal protection then top it with Ice Spray Wax every other wash.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #18
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I really don't get the water beading obsession, as others have said typically it just results in spots all over my car if it's in the rain and I end up having to spray and wipe it down when I get home.

Sometimes I can't be bothered driving my car when it's raining if it's recently washed because I know i'm just going to have to buff it when I get home. Also looks stupid driving, everyone else on the road sheets and looks normal whilst my black car almost looks grey from the 1000s of mini water beads that don't slide off no matter how fast i'm going

Really hope the protection is actually worth the hassle over sheeting
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #19
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
I really don't get the water beading obsession, as others have said typically it just results in spots all over my car if it's in the rain and I end up having to spray and wipe it down when I get home.

Sometimes I can't be bothered driving my car when it's raining if it's recently washed because I know i'm just going to have to buff it when I get home. Also looks stupid driving, everyone else on the road sheets and looks normal whilst my black car almost looks grey from the 1000s of mini water beads that don't slide off no matter how fast i'm going

Really hope the protection is actually worth the hassle over sheeting
They are starting to sell products that protect and sheet. It’s a debate what’s better. The sheeting you are talking about is just people who have no protection on the paint and the water just sits there. Just use your car and drive. Senseless not to because of weather unless you have another vehicle. I did a mountain run in the rain this weekend. It was fun and the PS4s did well in the wet.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #20
justalex

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
I have always been a fan of water and vinegar solution to get rid of rain drops on my car.
justalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #21
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
I really don't get the water beading obsession, as others have said typically it just results in spots all over my car
Its not so much the beading as it is the fact that when the water beads, it sheds faster and more completely when you drive. Its like RainX on your windshield. You hardly need wipers with a fresh RainX because the water beads and flys off. Now, if your car is parked in the rain and you leave it there until the water dries, you might still have less water, if the beading water rolls off more, or maybe not. You're supposed to run out and chamois the car in that case
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #22
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
Its not so much the beading as it is the fact that when the water beads, it sheds faster and more completely when you drive. Its like RainX on your windshield. You hardly need wipers with a fresh RainX because the water beads and flys off. Now, if your car is parked in the rain and you leave it there until the water dries, you might still have less water, if the beading water rolls off more, or maybe not. You're supposed to run out and chamois the car in that case
if you like rainx, you'll love aquapel! seriously. try it.
pallen (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #23
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I still have a can of Vista car wax and buffing compound. I use it on the tractor, cuts through the oxidized surface and lasts for a couple of months.
Current day, there is a product called Nufinish (orange bottle). Clearcoat safe. It claims it will last a year. It really will but it gives the surface a slippery feel. It is produced by a large polymer company as a small side company. I use it on my old cars that see little use.
If you are a weekend waxer, not for you. Try using it on your wife's SUV, you will be delighted as it will last and bugs will come right off.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Magyarman (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #24
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
I used the meguiars ultimate ceramic quick wax and it doesn't shed off at all when I drive. The water beads don't even seem to dry off, as I said they'll just bead, then collect dirt and then turn into water spots whilst the water is still beaded above it. So I typically will have to dry the car off then buff it out which is annoying to do every day it rains
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #25
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
A true ceramic coating done by a professional will get rid of that problem, but expect to pay good money. Not worth it if your paint is still in good condition and swirl free. I did it on my previous car after it was 10 years old.
Huh? The best time to ceramic coat a car is when it’s brand new.
I’ve had my last 3 cars coated with GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra and topped with Exo. My current 86 I had the whole front end Expel PPF’d and then ceramic coated. It’s an absolute game changer.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #26
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Huh? The best time to ceramic coat a car is when it’s brand new.
I’ve had my last 3 cars coated with GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra and topped with Exo. My current 86 I had the whole front end Expel PPF’d and then ceramic coated. It’s an absolute game changer.
You are absolutely right that ceramic coating once the car is brand new is a good idea. However it does cost a good amount of money and won't protect against new scratches and swirls, hence why I decided to wait on my previous car. I prefer to simply wax and polish the car when the paint is still new and almost swirl free and then unload the big guns with ceramic coating once the paint starts to show it's age. My package included a total paint correction. And yes, absolute game changer!
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #27
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Doesn't matter much if the car is new or old when applying a ceramic coating. The car still needs at least a one step polish to properly prep the surface to accept a coating. 80% of the cost on a ceramic is in the prep. Decon wash, physical decontamination, polish, coating.

Applying it when new will give you a good foundation to keep the car clean, but if your wash routine sucks you will still Marr and scratch your paint. It isn't some idiot proof barrier, it makes wash maintenance easier and provides long term protection.

Since my car will get scratches over its life due to being a DD; a DIY coating is perfect for me. 2-3 year protection, and I can do a paint correction when I want to reapply another coating.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #28
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
I used the meguiars ultimate ceramic quick wax and it doesn't shed off at all when I drive. The water beads don't even seem to dry off, as I said they'll just bead, then collect dirt and then turn into water spots whilst the water is still beaded above it. So I typically will have to dry the car off then buff it out which is annoying to do every day it rains
I've never seen that. Beading is generally the result of a hydrophobic condition. The surface is repelling the water, so it gathers up into "beads" instead of spreading out. If it were an attraction, the water would spread thin and hug the surface, like a magnet pulling it down. I cant imagine that beading would cause the water to "stick". The only thing I can think of is that beads might take longer to air dry and hang around longer on a stationary car. When water spreads out thinner, there would be more surface area in contact with air and it would dry faster. Drying will leave behind minerals and contaminants though, where beading and shedding would take them away.

I used to have a water blade thing that was great, but I've manage to lose it. It was ideal to have in the car after a rain if you had a good beading wax. The water blade would wisk the water away leaving the paint almost dry.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pallen For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (08-09-2020)