follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #99
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I however do. Robots may torque bolts but most of the assembly is still done by people. They are not always highly trained or even skilled. The people that make the parts are usually even less skilled and trained. People like to play with the urban legend that Japanese cars are built better than all the rest. That has not been accurate in the last 30 years.
Robots do not torque bolts. Nutrunners torque bolts. Robots install valves and springs and retainers. It would be nearly impossible to build cylinder heads fast enough with the finesse needed to install retainers.

Most people don't understand the Japanese way of training and assume it's like going to work at your local fast food joint. I can personally tell you that you spend hours upon hours training to learn every aspect of any job before you are allowed to do it alone. I've done it for 20 years. I'm sure we have others that can tell you the same thing.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #100
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
Robots do not torque bolts. Nutrunners torque bolts. Robots install valves and springs and retainers. It would be nearly impossible to build cylinder heads fast enough with the finesse needed to install retainers.

Most people don't understand the Japanese way of training and assume it's like going to work at your local fast food joint. I can personally tell you that you spend hours upon hours training to learn every aspect of any job before you are allowed to do it alone. I've done it for 20 years. I'm sure we have others that can tell you the same thing.
AH SHIT I have to run out to the plant and tell them we are using the robots wrong!!!! Absolutely amazing that they manage to build the ZF trannies mostly by hand and keep up with demand.

I have been doing this for 30 years and have spent more hours in different manufacturers plants (including both Subaru and Toyota) than I care to remember. The training given to them is no different that in the Ford or Chrysler plants these days. The day of the "bullet proof" Japanese car passed a while ago.
Dadhawk (01-15-2019), gravitylover (01-16-2019)