follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
goonz_maroon

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headers question?

Having trouble deciding which headers I would like to combine with Perrin 2.5 inch resonated cat back. I originally wanted the JDL catted UEL but the headers seem to have too much bass. I want to change the headers to correct the torque dip and low range power. I prefer catted because would like to avoid fumes and having to flash always ECU to clear emissions.

Few notes:

I love the the exhaust note of Perrin 2.5 resonated cbe with stock OP and FP and would love carry this exhaust note with the headers.

I am not sure whether I should be going to EL headers to avoid the bass from UEL headers.

I would like to avoid drone and rasp at all costs (mature sound). In terms of volume I would like it to be louder than stock but noticeable at the 4-6k rpm range. Completely lost with OP and FP combo to achieve this exhaust system note.

Eventually planning to slap on a Jackson Racing Supercharger kit.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
goonz_maroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
HKS or Apex'i header/OP/FP setup.

Your only option, and catted headers are no guarantee of "no CEL".. just FYI.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
goonz_maroon (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
goonz_maroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
HKS or Apex'i header/OP/FP setup.

Your only option, and catted headers are no guarantee of "no CEL".. just FYI.

-alex
That's true. I know I'm trying to have it all and I'm going to need the ECU tune for a stage 1 tune and also for the JRSC kit eventually guess I wanted to avoid fumes more so then the hassle of reflashing.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I have a JDL catted UEL, stock front pipe, Perrin 2.5" resonated catback. I'm not a young guy and this is my only car. Didn't want the setup to be too loud and it's not. Actually more quiet than I expected. It passed the wife test, too.

People who hear the car often comment on how good it sounds. Inside the car it sounds nice when you're on it, but it's very reasonable. I'm not sure how adding a supercharger would affect the sound. For reference, I have a Delicious ECUTek tune that was perfectly dialed in for this exhaust combo.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TofuJoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
goonz_maroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
I have a JDL catted UEL, stock front pipe, Perrin 2.5" resonated catback. I'm not a young guy and this is my only car. Didn't want the setup to be too loud and it's not. Actually more quiet than I expected. It passed the wife test, too.

People who hear the car often comment on how good it sounds. Inside the car it sounds nice when you're on it, but it's very reasonable. I'm not sure how adding a supercharger would affect the sound. For reference, I have a Delicious ECUTek tune that was perfectly dialed in for this exhaust combo.
How deep would you say the bass is?

Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am also going the jdl header/ perrin 2.5 route this week.

But like @mav1178 said, if you're worried about passing emissions that much then you should stay stock.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Cervy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
goonz_maroon

Oh man I have been reading about the Ace headers. Pieces of art. Can't find much exhaust notes on YouTube with the perrin at least. I remember reading somewhere on the forum the Ace headers should be really only considered for EL (the performance aspect). Might be wrong. Also not sure iirc but EL tend have more whiney exhaust notes?

Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonz_maroon View Post
Oh man I have been reading about the Ace headers. Pieces of art. Can't find much exhaust notes on YouTube with the perrin at least. I remember reading somewhere on the forum the Ace headers should be really only considered for EL (the performance aspect). Might be wrong. Also not sure iirc but EL tend have more whiney exhaust notes?

It just doesn't burble like an unequal length header does. It'll blend in with the Perrin and sound like one noise, whereas with the JDL or any other uel you'll be able to distinctly hear the header and catback apart from each other.

Can't go wrong with that Ace header though.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #9
goonz_maroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cervy View Post
I am also going the jdl header/ perrin 2.5 route this week.

But like @mav1178 said, if you're worried about passing emissions that much then you should stay stock.
Not worried so much about emission just lazy to deal with it. I am more concerned of the exhaust note that is created by the headers and how they will be affected with changes in the OP and FP

Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonz_maroon View Post
Not worried so much about emission just lazy to deal with it. I am more concerned of the exhaust note that is created by the headers and how they will be affected with changes in the OP and FP

If you want to avoid rasp or other weird noises then the rule is always stay stock. I've heard many people contribute rasp in their exhausts to their aftermarket front pipes. Swapping any exhaust part will create risk for rasp, you just gotta make sure it's fitted correctly.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I should add, I only suggested those two setups because I have no idea how a stock front pipe will sound with header + exhaust and whether there would be unwanted drone or rasp.

The more you mix and match setups, the more variables you introduce. At some point, you just have to ask yourself the questions:

how much increase in exhaust noise do I want to tolerate?
how "legal" do I want to keep this setup?
do I want a catted header or a cat in the front pipe? if so, do I want to keep the stock front pipe or go with a different setup?

Another option to maximize power is to run a catted header of your choice, overpipe of your choice, and perhaps a quiet front pipe like Fujitsubo. Or stock front pipe.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have jdl uel header paired with magnaflow axleback and everything is stock including stock resonator. Its very "bassy" and sometimes drones but doesnt have rasp like fart cannon civics. Still waiting for someone who have uel header and invidia gemini catback who can post a video to hear it and if its worth it.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #13
goonz_maroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I should add, I only suggested those two setups because I have no idea how a stock front pipe will sound with header + exhaust and whether there would be unwanted drone or rasp.

The more you mix and match setups, the more variables you introduce. At some point, you just have to ask yourself the questions:

how much increase in exhaust noise do I want to tolerate?
how "legal" do I want to keep this setup?
do I want a catted header or a cat in the front pipe? if so, do I want to keep the stock front pipe or go with a different setup?

Another option to maximize power is to run a catted header of your choice, overpipe of your choice, and perhaps a quiet front pipe like Fujitsubo. Or stock front pipe.
All very true. What I guess my biggest gripe in all of this is I want to get it right in one shot and I know that's very tough to do. As other mentioned the Ace header sounds very clean so I will start with that at the head of my research.

In terms of the FP I just want to moderate the noise volume and elite rasp and drone. I believe should be looking at a resonated catted FP.

OP I hear doesn't make much of a difference. But you bring up very valuable points. More foreign pieces being introduced more chances for error.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #14
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a JDL UEL Catted Header, Perrin Overpipe, Perrin Catted front pipe, and the 2.5 Res Exhaust. It doesn't drone at all, at least enough to notice. I had a catback on my old G35 and that thing droned pretty bad at low RPM's.

The only time I would call my setup loud is on cold starts, but it settles down after 30 seconds or so