follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Dennett_

Drives: Sprintex Supercharged FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Head unit with gauges

I've been researching and I can't find a good head unit that has gauges integrated. I have an iPhone and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a good head unit that can have digital gauges on it.
Dennett_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Slammillionaire

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure the joying android based head units can do this if you pick up a bluetooth obdII dongle. Pretty cheap too and should still work with the iPhone
Slammillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slammillionaire For This Useful Post:
Dennett_ (10-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennett_ View Post
I've been researching and I can't find a good head unit that has gauges integrated. I have an iPhone and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a good head unit that can have digital gauges on it.
I have the Kenwood DDX-9703S and it supports it if you have iDatalink, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...edia/ddx9703s/
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
YEah, grab one of those Android headunits. Go for one with 2GB of RAM. Then get the Torque app. Then get this OBD2 adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAURDGG..._B357zbS0PS4CV

The key is to get the "Enhanced Version". This version functions as a Bluetooth Serial Port for Android but also works as a Bluetooth LE adapter for iOS compatibility. If you read the description it says you have to get the WiFi version for iOS compatibility. This is not true. For iOS compatibility you need either the WiFi version OR the "Enhanced Version". They need to update their description. I went with the Enhanced Version because I was really only looking for Android compatibility anyways and I figured what the hell it's only $1 more. When I got it I noticed it was advertizing as "OBD" and "OBD iOS". That is when I realized the description left out the fact that it's also a BLE device. Turns out it will work with the Carista, DashCommand and OBD Fusion. OBD Fusion seems to be the most powerful OBD app for iOS.

Here is a video I shot which shows all the channels supported by Fusion:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31F3ulaxaLU"]OBD Fusion connected to a 2013 FR-S - YouTube[/ame]

On Android I am using the Torque app which should do what you want on an Android headunit.

Edit: I just noticed the "Enhanced Version" is no longer $1 more but $1 less. So even better. Hahaha
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Dennett_ (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #5
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
I went the iDatalink - Maestro route also

I went the iDatalink - Maestro route also. No doubt it's vehicle information and gauge screens are limited compared to running an Android base unit and apps but they were not on the top of my priority list of features.
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigVM For This Useful Post:
Dennett_ (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
Dennett_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVM View Post
I went the iDatalink - Maestro route also. No doubt it's vehicle information and gauge screens are limited compared to running an Android base unit and apps but they were not on the top of my priority list of features.
Yeah well I was looking for oil temp coolant temp AFR and boost because I'm supercharged and would like to see how the cars doing. I also would like apple CarPlay if possible but it's not a deal breaker.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah well I was looking for oil temp coolant temp AFR and boost because I'm supercharged and would like to see how the cars doing. I also would like apple CarPlay if possible but it's not a deal breaker.
If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you can get all of those from the OBDII port and will require wiring in more sensors. Even then, getting them to display on your HU doesn't seem likely.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:47 AM   #8
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
I will have to check

Quote:
I will have to check as there is a pretty good list of gauges which you can choose from to have displayed on each of 2 gauge screens. Each screen provides 5 visual gauges so a combined 10 between them. I do remember they included tach, speedometer, air intake and exhaust temp, engine temp, boost, miles to empty, voltage and a good number more. I will get back to you with a complete list as right now I have the battery pulled so to turn in for core value as I buy a new battery.

My HU is a JVC KW-M730BT but I believe the gauges that can be displayed are based on the vehicle when used with the iDatalink / Maestro.
My main interest was the sound customization and Android Auto "and Apple Carplay" when choosing this unit though the gauges and vehicle info is kind of a nice plus which is why I dished out the extra for the iDatalink and Maestro.

Maybe someone who has knowledge with Mirror Link would know if you could use that feature to show the OBD app of your choosing to be displayed on compatible HU units.
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Dennett_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVM View Post
I will have to check as there is a pretty good list of gauges which you can choose from to have displayed on each of 2 gauge screens. Each screen provides 5 visual gauges so a combined 10 between them. I do remember they included tach, speedometer, air intake and exhaust temp, engine temp, boost, miles to empty, voltage and a good number more. I will get back to you with a complete list as right now I have the battery pulled so to turn in for core value as I buy a new battery.

My HU is a JVC KW-M730BT but I believe the gauges that can be displayed are based on the vehicle when used with the iDatalink / Maestro.
My main interest was the sound customization and Android Auto "and Apple Carplay" when choosing this unit though the gauges and vehicle info is kind of a nice plus which is why I dished out the extra for the iDatalink and Maestro.

Maybe someone who has knowledge with Mirror Link would know if you could use that feature to show the OBD app of your choosing to be displayed on compatible HU units.
Sweet thanks for the help! It's a tough decision between the android units and the nicer head units with apple CarPlay and better sound customization. I'm still gonna research and try and make my decision. If anyone could give a list of the gauges that'd be awesome
Old 10-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #10
jslack

Drives: 2017 Red subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the Kenwood DDX9904S with the Idatalink Maestro RR. It connects to the ODBII port and allows me to view around 20 different gauges and can view 2 different pages on the radio. So much better then the odbII readers.
jslack is offline   Reply With Quote