follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #43
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars2 View Post
Isn't it wonderfull how some people can be open minded in this world.
With more of them we could avoid so many nasty thing's.

FRS Matt you are such an open minded smart ass.
I am an open minded smartass. I'm also not a TRD money wasting dumbass either.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
L3P47 (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #44
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I like the idea of TRD stuff, but I have yet to see any dyno stuff. Sucks too because I love the exhaust sound, but if there is no gain at all, or even a torque loss *gasp*, I wanna stay away from it. That intake looks like a cool idea, but gains are probably minimal. Aesthetically it is cool though. I went for the K&N drop in and the Perrin Silicone Hose.

I have scoured this forum for dyno stuff on TRD, and just cant find it. Hopefully something will show up soon so we can all know if it is worth it.
FR-S Matt (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #45
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areddi View Post
I like the idea of TRD stuff, but I have yet to see any dyno stuff. Sucks too because I love the exhaust sound, but if there is no gain at all, or even a torque loss *gasp*, I wanna stay away from it. That intake looks like a cool idea, but gains are probably minimal. Aesthetically it is cool though. I went for the K&N drop in and the Perrin Silicone Hose.

I have scoured this forum for dyno stuff on TRD, and just cant find it. Hopefully something will show up soon so we can all know if it is worth it.
+1
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #46
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
where did you get the "restrictive" from?
If you seriously didn't understand what I was saying with that post, there's no sense in trying to explain it to you.

If you DID understand and were merely being a smartass over comma placement in a sentence... I have nothing to say to you.

Scott
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #47
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
If you seriously didn't understand what I was saying with that post, there's no sense in trying to explain it to you.
Umm yeah.... ok?

I'll stick to my stock box with the stock filter.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #48
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Anybody here get this TRD CAI system yet? I know a few on another thread did, but nobody has done a dyno yet.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #49
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Anybody here get this TRD CAI system yet? I know a few on another thread did, but nobody has done a dyno yet.
If I end up with it, I'll dyno it. I expect someone will get to it before me though.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
Red2Liter

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited, Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
TRD CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3P47 View Post
That thing is atrocious. Just my opinion but, if i'm going to install a Cold Air I want it increase room in the engine bay. Not cluster it back up.
Interesting, different strokes for different folks! Where you see a big eyesore, I see the CAI as cleaning up the looks, the aesthetics of the engine bay, while getting rid of the sound tube. Mine will be installed by weeks end and while I'm not anticipating huge HP gains, I'm hoping to be pleased with the looks and that it won't be terribly loud.
Red2Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red2Liter For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #51
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
When it comes to under good long as its clean I don't care. Realize some do, to me if this was a big bay, big v8 and old school I'd care. But it's not its a 4cylinder with very little any common person can wrench on really. Sure a little more room would be nice I agree but seems so many CAI systems are doing nothing but looks anyhow?
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #52
DSLeach

Drives: None
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
dont quote me on this but what i know running a high octane does not mean you will gain more HP especially without a more aggressive timed tune, actually a lower octane provides a stronger spark hence a stronger bang. The higher the octane the cooler the bang which helps reduce knocking and detention risks especially with boosted motors.

please correct me if I'm wrong ! i don't mind getting educated about this too !
You are sorta kinda correct. Higher octane fuel, all else being equal, will not give you more HP/torque and could actually cause you to lose power if your car is not tuned or set up to use the higher octane fuel effectively.

First thing to understand is that higher octane gasoline generally has slightly lower specific energy (Btu/gal) than does lower octane gasoline. Please note I said slightly lower. The difference is not much.

Second thing to understand is how your car can benefit from higher octane fuel. If your car is originally designed to use 87 octane fuel and the ignition advance (timing) is not limited by the use of 87 octane, higher octane does nothing except lighten your wallet. If you raise the cylinder pressures through FI, higher compression pistons, or use a more aggressive ignition timing, you may need to run higher octane. The additional power you get is due to the FI, higher compression pistons, and/or more aggressive tune. The higher octane fuel is needed to keep detonation at bay (engine knock) while employing FI, higher compression pistons, and/or more aggressive tunes.

Higher octane, that I know of, does not burn "cooler" than lower octane fuel. Higher octane fuel actually does burn "slower" than does lower octane fuel. This is why higher octane is used to prevent detonation with FI and aggressive tunes. The detonation (knocking) that you hear with lower octane fuel is actually the fuel burning too quickly, more like an explosion versus a controlled but quick burn inside the cylinder. Those little explosions in the cylinder from running fuel too low in octane in your high compression engine are what cause the damage to the tops of the pistons.

Hope that helps a little.
DSLeach is offline   Reply With Quote