follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2023, 11:04 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
I doubt that one, the Yaris GR was sold -almost- exclusively in Europe.
I was referring to the GR86. They only got a handful of them for 2022. The Yaris is a different story entirely.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:12 AM   #16
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
lol not sure what carvibz is all about, but I'd take that article with a huge grain of salt. A shortened IS platform FR hybrid running the G16 (especially automatic) would be a neat thing, but it wouldn't be a GR86 successor. Certainly not price-wise.

Like I said, I don't expect the end of EU market for ZN8 to affect plans for the rest of the world. I can't see how that would be a smart thing to do when the demand is still solid, and probably will be for at least a few more years. The only other reason I could imagine would be Subaru kicking them out of Gunma to make space for more profitable stuff there.

Exactly, all news articles unless there is an official statement from whatever drove the article should always be taken with a grain of salt. Until we see an official statement from either Toyota or Subaru announcing the departure of the GR/BRZ, everything else is pure speculation.

Like someone else said, salespersons are not always car enthusiasts or really interested on development news. So saying "Oh, better get this car because is the last one!" is possibly a sales tactic.

I read the first post which I found odd and decided to look into it and those articles quoted came out. I would stand with my initial statement about the salesperson misinterpreting an article with possibly trying to seal a sale.
brandonblt2 (01-19-2023), soundman98 (01-12-2023), Tcoat (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 11:59 AM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Exactly, all news articles unless there is an official statement from whatever drove the article should always be taken with a grain of salt. Until we see an official statement from either Toyota or Subaru announcing the departure of the GR/BRZ, everything else is pure speculation.

Like someone else said, salespersons are not always car enthusiasts or really interested on development news. So saying "Oh, better get this car because is the last one!" is possibly a sales tactic.

I read the first post which I found odd and decided to look into it and those articles quoted came out. I would stand with my initial statement about the salesperson misinterpreting an article with possibly trying to seal a sale.
There were several "reports" that came out about this time last year that stated "The GR 86 is done". They were spurred by the simple misunderstanding that arose when they closed orders for the model year by using the terminology "production has ended for the 22s". What was meant was "orders are closed for the 22 MY production run".

I doubt that the salesman said it to make a sale. More likely just a carry over of that misunderstanding.

Over the years I have had salesmen tell me:
"The BRZ is AWD turbo and the FRS is not" - Subaru
"The BRZ is AWD and much slower than the FRS" - Toyota
"There will be a convertible BRZ out next year (2017) I have seen it in person" - Subaru dealership owner
"This is the last year for these cars" - Several times by both
"The 2017 facelift will be hybrid" - Toyota
"The second gen of both will be hybrid" - Both
"The second gen 86 will have a Toyota engine" - Toyota

And my very favourite:
"Who did you have paint the car green and do the custom interior on your 86? Hakone edition? Never heard of it." - Sales manager and 2 salesmen Toyota.

Salespeople as a whole don't know nor care about the back stories about what they sell. Why should they really? Does everybody really think that they know everything going on in the background of their jobs?
brandonblt2 (01-19-2023), flippy (01-24-2023), g e (01-15-2023), OkieSnuffBox (01-12-2023), soundman98 (01-12-2023), spcmafia (01-12-2023), Sport-Tech (01-13-2023), Teseo (01-13-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:27 PM   #18
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There were several "reports" that came out about this time last year that stated "The GR 86 is done". They were spurred by the simple misunderstanding that arose when they closed orders for the model year by using the terminology "production has ended for the 22s". What was meant was "orders are closed for the 22 MY production run".

I doubt that the salesman said it to make a sale. More likely just a carry over of that misunderstanding.

Over the years I have had salesmen tell me:
"The BRZ is AWD turbo and the FRS is not" - Subaru
"The BRZ is AWD and much slower than the FRS" - Toyota
"There will be a convertible BRZ out next year (2017) I have seen it in person" - Subaru dealership owner
"This is the last year for these cars" - Several times by both
"The 2017 facelift will be hybrid" - Toyota
"The second gen of both will be hybrid" - Both
"The second gen 86 will have a Toyota engine" - Toyota

And my very favourite:
"Who did you have paint the car green and do the custom interior on your 86? Hakone edition? Never heard of it." - Sales manager and 2 salesmen Toyota.

Salespeople as a whole don't know nor care about the back stories about what they sell. Why should they really? Does everybody really think that they know everything going on in the background of their jobs?

For the last part, I think, personally, that knowing about the moving parts of your job helps to build better relationships with customers and will probably bring in more because of word-of-mouth reviews.

I absolutely sucked at selling the additional insurance at Enterprise. But I sure knew about how to meet the specific needs of a customer that was looking for a vacation rental, or was looking for one to test drive without having to deal with a dealer. It became also helpful when helping those who had their car totaled and were wondering on what car to buy. I always had returning customers or people that came as a referral.

Same thing with my detailing business, some people appreciated my input on how to further keep their car cleaned, DIY, or the why I choose certain products.

I understand that some folks are just trying to make a sale, earn a paycheck, etc. So why would they have to care or even mention about things like, say, reliability issues. As long as it sells and I can deposit my check, hey, all is fair.

But, personally, I would've never in good conscience, no matter how much I needed the money, persuaded a customer to buy something like a Chrysler 200. I would send them to the Toyota dealer across the street and told them about how much better another car could be. Wouldn't had lasted more than a week.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:36 PM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
For the last part, I think, personally, that knowing about the moving parts of your job helps to build better relationships with customers and will probably bring in more because of word-of-mouth reviews.

I absolutely sucked at selling the additional insurance at Enterprise. But I sure knew about how to meet the specific needs of a customer that was looking for a vacation rental, or was looking for one to test drive without having to deal with a dealer. It became also helpful when helping those who had their car totaled and were wondering on what car to buy. I always had returning customers or people that came as a referral.

Same thing with my detailing business, some people appreciated my input on how to further keep their car cleaned, DIY, or the why I choose certain products.

I understand that some folks are just trying to make a sale, earn a paycheck, etc. So why would they have to care or even mention about things like, say, reliability issues. As long as it sells and I can deposit my check, hey, all is fair.

But, personally, I would've never in good conscience, no matter how much I needed the money, persuaded a customer to buy something like a Chrysler 200. I would send them to the Toyota dealer across the street and told them about how much better another car could be. Wouldn't had lasted more than a week.
I meant that salespeople do not have the enthusiasts level of background knowledge of what they are selling. Like if there was a rental car insurance enthusiast that could tell you that the reason it costs this much was because of the 1962 Smith vs Hertz case that determined the base amount that rental companies can charge. Telling them what cars you recommended is an enthusiast level thing not a car rental guy one.
Your detailing business is also not a good example. It is a passion for you not just a job. If you hired some random guy off the street to dry the cars they would not have near the knowledge (if any) of the products. You only know because they are part of your passion. Most people do NOT have a passion for things they sell and only know enough to answer some very basic questions.
brandonblt2 (01-19-2023), OkieSnuffBox (01-12-2023), soundman98 (01-12-2023), spcmafia (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #20
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Subaru isn't going to stop at this point. Parts contracts are usually for 4 years with a minimum of 3. Other than under very special conditions (i.e.COVID shut downs) the assembly plants are obligated to pay for the parts planned whether they use them or not.
I couldn't imagine the contract requirements for a car manufacturers vendors

Even our little small company I have stuff where I am stuck buying up to 4 years of items like custom circuit boards, custom motors, ect.
soundman98 (01-12-2023), Tcoat (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 01:31 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I couldn't imagine the contract requirements for a car manufacturers vendors

Even our little small company I have stuff where I am stuck buying up to 4 years of items like custom circuit boards, custom motors, ect.
It is a convoluted and very, very, very, rigidly enforced system. Back before the 2008 recession the car manufacturers had the parts suppliers over a barrel most of the time and could do whatever they wanted. After it was all over most of the smaller suppliers had either closed up or been bought by the larger companies. This gave the parts suppliers a bit more power to enforce contract requirements so the car companies couldn't just do as they please. On the other hand the suppliers had bloody well better supply or they will pay for it!

The tricky part that most don't understand is the whole "just in time" supply system. People picture an Amazon type setup with big warehouses ready to send parts to the assembly plants. That would be a great way for a company to go broke fast. The contract says that they want X number of parts to be delivered to the lines just as they are needed. The parts companies make and ship those parts based upon schedules made months in advance. Any hiccup in the assembly plant will cause a trickle down of issues that goes right back to the mining of the raw materials. We see on this (and any car forum) people that think that the cars are somehow made on the fly with the companies having the ability to increase or decrease volume at a whim. This is a very wrong picture of how it works. There are literally thousands of companies involved in making the parts that go into a car and they can not all be turned on and off like a switch.
brandonblt2 (01-19-2023), Dadhawk (01-12-2023), JBezugs (01-19-2023), NoHaveMSG (01-12-2023), OkieSnuffBox (01-12-2023), Red-86 (01-20-2023), soundman98 (01-12-2023), Ultramaroon (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 01:41 PM   #22
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
This rumor is so stupid it's not even worth wasting effort with a Google search. The twins aren't going anywhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (01-19-2023), DriveDriftDogfight86 (02-09-2023), soundman98 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 01:49 PM   #23
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It is a convoluted and very, very, very, rigidly enforced system. Back before the 2008 recession the car manufacturers had the parts suppliers over a barrel most of the time and could do whatever they wanted. After it was all over most of the smaller suppliers had either closed up or been bought by the larger companies. This gave the parts suppliers a bit more power to enforce contract requirements so the car companies couldn't just do as they please. On the other hand the suppliers had bloody well better supply or they will pay for it!

The tricky part that most don't understand is the whole "just in time" supply system. People picture an Amazon type setup with big warehouses ready to send parts to the assembly plants. That would be a great way for a company to go broke fast. The contract says that they want X number of parts to be delivered to the lines just as they are needed. The parts companies make and ship those parts based upon schedules made months in advance. Any hiccup in the assembly plant will cause a trickle down of issues that goes right back to the mining of the raw materials. We see on this (and any car forum) people that think that the cars are somehow made on the fly with the companies having the ability to increase or decrease volume at a whim. This is a very wrong picture of how it works. There are literally thousands of companies involved in making the parts that go into a car and they can not all be turned on and off like a switch.
That whole "just in time" supply and production is crazy.
soundman98 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 02:40 PM   #24
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
I was told the 86 platform is done, there will be no 2024's. The 86 cars end this year. Local Toyota dealer salesperson/friend told us last night.

Please tell me they're wrong?
I'd trust a facebook group to have more accurate information about the future of a product than the fucking dealer.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 03:32 PM   #25
spcmafia

Quote:
I meant that salespeople do not have the enthusiasts level of background knowledge of what they are selling. Like if there was a rental car insurance enthusiast that could tell you that the reason it costs this much was because of the 1962 Smith vs Hertz case that determined the base amount that rental companies can charge. Telling them what cars you recommended is an enthusiast level thing not a car rental guy one.
Your detailing business is also not a good example. It is a passion for you not just a job. If you hired some random guy off the street to dry the cars they would not have near the knowledge (if any) of the products. You only know because they are part of your passion. Most people do NOT have a passion for things they sell and only know enough to answer some very basic questions.

I see what you're saying. I was just trying to make a more personal preference on how I do things. For example, if I was a salesperson, I would like to know as much as I can about the product so that I can provide the best possible solution to the customer. Which, as I inferred, I would've been horrible at because I would tell them not to a buy a certain car, if I was to work at a certain dealership. But I completely agree that it not necessary to know, nor it is realistic to expect it.
Tcoat (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 03:57 PM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That whole "just in time" supply and production is crazy.
Our Windsor subassembly plant has just 40 minutes for providing the suspension modules for the minivans. When a minivan hits the assembly line they broadcast the VIN to our plant. The whole suspension assembly is made to that VIN, placed on a rack in sequence with 5 others, put on a truck and delivered to the assembly plant line just as that vehicle hits the point where it is bolted on. There is no way to build ahead or have any ready as they are actually stamped with the VIN as they are made.
The rotors we make in the other plant will come in as raw castings, be machined, coated, delivered and on a vehicle within 36 hours. The only ones that sit for more than a few hours are service parts and even then we get screamed at for having to much money tied up in "inventory". Nothing is sitting around in a warehouse ever.
brandonblt2 (01-19-2023), Dadhawk (01-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (01-12-2023), Overdrive (01-12-2023), soundman98 (01-12-2023), Sport-Tech (01-13-2023), Ultramaroon (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 04:05 PM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
I see what you're saying. I was just trying to make a more personal preference on how I do things. For example, if I was a salesperson, I would like to know as much as I can about the product so that I can provide the best possible solution to the customer. Which, as I inferred, I would've been horrible at because I would tell them not to a buy a certain car, if I was to work at a certain dealership. But I completely agree that it not necessary to know, nor it is realistic to expect it.
You are still thinking like a car guy though. How about if you sold vacuum cleaners? Do you really think you would be well versed on the up and coming sucking tech? Would you get all excited about telling customers about the benefits and drawback of hepa filters? No, you would sell them what they asked for or even try to get them to spend more. Most car salesmen are not car guys so that is what they do. They are selling appliances.
Personally I would hate trying to sell cars to "enthusiasts" as they may be dumb as a stump but think they know all because they read it on Facebook or Instagram. We see it here every day!
brandonblt2 (01-19-2023), Dadhawk (01-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (01-12-2023), soundman98 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 05:26 PM   #28
spcmafia

Quote:
You are still thinking like a car guy though. How about if you sold vacuum cleaners? Do you really think you would be well versed on the up and coming sucking tech? Would you get all excited about telling customers about the benefits and drawback of hepa filters? No, you would sell them what they asked for or even try to get them to spend more. Most car salesmen are not car guys so that is what they do. They are selling appliances.
Personally I would hate trying to sell cars to "enthusiasts" as they may be dumb as a stump but think they know all because they read it on Facebook or Instagram. We see it here every day!
Well… yeah haha. Im just weird like that. No matter what I pick up I must know as much as I can. I even did it with retail selling clothes, didn’t really go about the specifics of how they select their fabrics but I would recommend certain shirts over other ones because of the type of material, durability, and I would go into the different scents used for perfumes/colognes.

Is there something wrong with me, am I another reason for a ban?
brandonblt2 (01-19-2023), Dadhawk (01-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (01-12-2023), Tcoat (01-12-2023), Ultramaroon (01-12-2023)