follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #1
ihavefat

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Understanding the alignment specs

Recently got an alignment done and wanted to see if others could assist in helping me better understand the alignment results:

https://imgur.com/a/QHsgLDc

-How can you tell if the toe is IN or OUT? Wasn’t sure if “IN” represented inches or Toe In
-Is .01 basically 0 toe?
-Is .08 variance in camber significant delta ? I understand some shops will spend as long as possible to get the numbers dialed in exactly
-Do I need to be “concerned” about the caster spec? I’m just genuinely curious if this is something I really need to worry about in general.

Last edited by ihavefat; 01-25-2023 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added the link to the picture
ihavefat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:10 PM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Do you have a printout?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:29 PM   #3
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
That's what you get not going to GTE.

Rear should be toe in so it looks like front is toe in as well. If the toe is out in the rear, you would discover it really quick going through a turn.

I would not worry about the variance in camber, too small to matter.

That caster is most likely cross caster, it is fine.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:13 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_(automotive)

+ = toe in
- = toe out

Alignment looks good assuming it wasn't super expensive, better then I'd expect from like a $60-$80 chain store, but if you got charged over say $120-$150 you might be getting ripped off.

That is assuming there aren't parts limitations and instructions that conflict - if you told them maximum camber up front and they did max it out - that's on you, less then a tenth of a degree difference in camber - you're fine. Depending on parts you have in the rear there may not be much to adjust to improve it, but again less then 0.1 degree is negligible in my experience.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:07 PM   #5
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You can't get an alignment anywhere for less than $150 these days from what i've seen. Alignment looks good! Bit of toe in for stability on the highway is never a bad thing.

0.08 degrees cross camber is NOTHING. Stock, these cars have sometimes ten times that... you're good!
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 01:11 AM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Slight & even rear toe-in helps also with stability in lacking grip situations, eg. in winter on snow/ice.
Camber variance is no big issue, imho it should go to >0.5deg for butt dyno to feel differences in right vs left turns. But it's not so with toe, +/-0.1deg toe right to left can change handling noticeably.
Imho even less one can notice caster variances.
From overall camber amount, car suspension seems not 100% stock, i don't think one can get as high negative camber on stock suspension without camberbolts/camberplates. Rear also seems to have extra camber, maybe due LCAs, maybe due lowering.
Overall seems reasonable light-track/street hybrid alignment with less understeer (and less variances) then stock alignment. I'd wish 0 toe in front, and a touch more rear toe-in, but that's nitpicking.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:49 AM   #7
ihavefat

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Do you have a printout?

- Andrew
Sorry, for some reason the image didn't upload initially so I had to add it after posting it. The link should be there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
That's what you get not going to GTE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_(automotive)

+ = toe in
- = toe out

Alignment looks good assuming it wasn't super expensive, better then I'd expect from like a $60-$80 chain store, but if you got charged over say $120-$150 you might be getting ripped off.

That is assuming there aren't parts limitations and instructions that conflict - if you told them maximum camber up front and they did max it out - that's on you, less then a tenth of a degree difference in camber - you're fine. Depending on parts you have in the rear there may not be much to adjust to improve it, but again less then 0.1 degree is negligible in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
You can't get an alignment anywhere for less than $150 these days from what i've seen. Alignment looks good! Bit of toe in for stability on the highway is never a bad thing.

0.08 degrees cross camber is NOTHING. Stock, these cars have sometimes ten times that... you're good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Slight & even rear toe-in helps also with stability in lacking grip situations, eg. in winter on snow/ice.
Camber variance is no big issue, imho it should go to >0.5deg for butt dyno to feel differences in right vs left turns. But it's not so with toe, +/-0.1deg toe right to left can change handling noticeably.
Imho even less one can notice caster variances.
From overall camber amount, car suspension seems not 100% stock, i don't think one can get as high negative camber on stock suspension without camberbolts/camberplates. Rear also seems to have extra camber, maybe due LCAs, maybe due lowering.
Overall seems reasonable light-track/street hybrid alignment with less understeer (and less variances) then stock alignment. I'd wish 0 toe in front, and a touch more rear toe-in, but that's nitpicking.
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I wasn't sure how to interpret the spec sheet.
ihavefat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ihavefat For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (01-26-2023)