follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2022, 10:06 PM   #239
PLF69

Drives: 2020 M340i, 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
Agree on the ppf. Just not worth it on a 30k car. The price quotes I can get a new bumper and paint it.
I've done a full ppf on my M2 Wich was too much, only did the front on the M340i wich is worth it to protect from track days and winter salt/grim. Those cars were baught cash

Definitely not doing it on the cheap BRZ that is leased for 36months..

Also no ppf on the leased family hauler (Atlas CrossSport)
PLF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:34 AM   #240
GR8TY6

Drives: '22 GR86 Halo, Prem, Man
Much earlier in the thread I saw someone mention rattling noises around 4500rpm and I came here in search of comfort about this noise for myself.

My car also rattles between 4-5k rpm and after 2200 miles I'm pretty confident its valve or chain noise. If you slowly climb the revs in neutral you can hear it in this range as well as when downshifting (and upshifting for that matter) and the revs fall back down over this rpm range.

It also has a similar valve/chain rattle when accelerating below 2k rpms.

I've adjusted my drive style to keep it above 2k rpms for the low rpm rattle and then turn the radio up for the ~4500rpm rattle. This engine is noisy af.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
GR8TY6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:33 AM   #241
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8TY6 View Post
Much earlier in the thread I saw someone mention rattling noises around 4500rpm and I came here in search of comfort about this noise for myself.

My car also rattles between 4-5k rpm and after 2200 miles I'm pretty confident its valve or chain noise. If you slowly climb the revs in neutral you can hear it in this range as well as when downshifting (and upshifting for that matter) and the revs fall back down over this rpm range.

It also has a similar valve/chain rattle when accelerating below 2k rpms.

I've adjusted my drive style to keep it above 2k rpms for the low rpm rattle and then turn the radio up for the ~4500rpm rattle. This engine is noisy af.

The FA20 did this too, it’s a whole lot worse with an OFT tune. It’s actually not a rattle, it’s a resonance in the intake manifold if OFT performance is to be believed.

It’s generally assumed to be benign since nobody has had problems due to it, even with the OFT tunes.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #242
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One thing that is starting to bother me is the thumping noise (not sure if this is the right description) when opening the trunk. It happens on the first time, but if I close and open again, doesn’t happen again, which makes me believe that is not an mechanical (binding) issue, but something on the rubber.

Engine rattling is bad, and chain noise is weirder than what I recall from gen1. When I open the hood, I hear a very high pitch whining.

Last edited by Stonehorsw; 02-28-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #243
GR8TY6

Drives: '22 GR86 Halo, Prem, Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
One thing that is start to bother me is the thumping noise (not sure if this is the right description) when opening the trunk. It happens on the first time, but if I close and open again, doesn’t happen again, which makes me believe that is not an mechanical (binding) issue, but something on the rubber.

Engine rattling is bad, and chain noise is weirder than what I recall from gen1. When I open the hood, I hear a very high pitch whining.
I know what you're talking about and I'm glad to hear it from someone else lol. That thunk made me think my trunk was out of alignment.

GR8TY6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #244
Xed32

Drives: '22 brz Sport-Tech
Think i'm going to have to officially call Subaru about the turn signal issue. 5 times now i've almost been rear ended or someone thought I was cutting them off since the thing won't come on ( fast flash) for a bit. I am now retrying it multiple times before a lane change and thinking of doing the good old hand out the window signal if I need to take a corner before it starts working.
Xed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #245
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xed32 View Post
Think i'm going to have to officially call Subaru about the turn signal issue. 5 times now i've almost been rear ended or someone thought I was cutting them off since the thing won't come on ( fast flash) for a bit. I am now retrying it multiple times before a lane change and thinking of doing the good old hand out the window signal if I need to take a corner before it starts working.
I really think/am hopeful that this is the subject of the QC hold that is apparently holding up my Neptune Blue GR86 in port right now.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #246
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
For those saying you hear a (timing chain?) rattle, did you own a first gen twin? There was the valve spring recall on early gen 1 cars also.

The first gen cars made all sorts of noises. You could hear the high pressure fuel pump, the transmission, the rear diff. And many other sounds. It was disconcerting at first, but when you think about how light it is (not a ton of sound deadening material), and the wide low stance, it makes sense. I started to appreciate how mechanical the car felt.

From what I’ve read the 2nd gen cars are a little more refined and less noisy. So I’m interested to know what previous first gen owners think. I hope the turn signal issue can be fixed easily. I like the idea of the “BMW” style turn signals. I hate a turn signal stalk that feels like it’s going to break when you use it. (Like the first gen, and my current Corolla hatch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #247
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I got pulled over for this by an unmarked police car. Thankfully I was able to justify what happened with my dashcam to the officer. I let Subaru know - both my dealer and corporate. Dealer checked my car and "could not reproduce the issue."

It's going to be a cat and mouse game for a while.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpectreRT For This Useful Post:
Xed32 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #248
danson

Drives: 22 brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
I got pulled over for this by an unmarked police car. Thankfully I was able to justify what happened with my dashcam to the officer. I let Subaru know - both my dealer and corporate. Dealer checked my car and "could not reproduce the issue."

thats rediculous, isnt it a well-known and widely reported issue now? have there been no bulletins or recalls?
danson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:47 PM   #249
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danson View Post
thats rediculous, isnt it a well-known and widely reported issue now? have there been no bulletins or recalls?
They may be spending time to try to fix it with software when it might be a hardware issue.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #250
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post

The light does blink, but rapidly? Like when I halogen bulb goes out?
Around here that would very rarely get you pulled over. I would say people use turn signals/lane change indicators maybe 50% of the time. And then you have the wonderful people who use lane change indicators on the highway as if they are asking permission to change lanes. No, F you, make a lane change when it’s appropriate/safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #251
Xed32

Drives: '22 brz Sport-Tech
When it is hyperflashing inside. there is no turn signal outside.
Xed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:44 PM   #252
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
ok, i'm just going to say it. how in the hell does a little blinking light prevent this scenario?

sounds like you're blaming something mechanical for your terrible driving skills.

maybe leave extra space and don't switch lanes into faster-moving traffic while going slower?

i've never had this problem in chicago traffic, and 3/4's of the other drivers don't even bother using their signals...