follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
i8ur911

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looking for track pad recommendations

As the title states.....

Car is a 17 Yellow Series with Brembo's. I consider myself to be an advanced driver. I've been using Hawk HT10's, but want to try something different.

I run tracks in the Northeast (Club Motorsport, Palmer Motorsport Park, NHMS, Thompson Speedway and Lime Rock).

I'm not crazy heavy on the brakes, but I also don't have any brake cooling ducts. I like strong initial bite with good modulation. I swap pads at track, so not concerned with dust or noise. Currently running 225 Nitto NT01's. Also use Castrol SRF fluid. Perrin master cylinder brace. I have stainless lines but haven't installed them yet.

Winmax?
CSG Spec pads?
Project Mu?
Hawk DTC's?
PFC?

What are people running and what is your feedback?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23680
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-02-2019), Tristor (08-03-2019), wparsons (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Ferodo DS1-11, love them.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
bhmax (08-03-2019), Tristor (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 01:41 AM   #4
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
As the title states.....

Car is a 17 Yellow Series with Brembo's. I consider myself to be an advanced driver. I've been using Hawk HT10's, but want to try something different.

I run tracks in the Northeast (Club Motorsport, Palmer Motorsport Park, NHMS, Thompson Speedway and Lime Rock).

I'm not crazy heavy on the brakes, but I also don't have any brake cooling ducts. I like strong initial bite with good modulation. I swap pads at track, so not concerned with dust or noise. Currently running 225 Nitto NT01's. Also use Castrol SRF fluid. Perrin master cylinder brace. I have stainless lines but haven't installed them yet.

Winmax?
CSG Spec pads?
Project Mu?
Hawk DTC's?
PFC?

Thanks!

What do you like and don't like out of your brakes? What are you desiring? What is your budget? What goals do you have? I can obviously point to our CSG Spec pads as they are the top of your listings and has been validated to be so, but it comes down to expectations, budget, and goals. Fortunately enough, my team and I have actually tested nearly all the compounds available off the shelf from those manufacturers.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-03-2019), wparsons (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
i8ur911

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
What do you like and don't like out of your brakes? What are you desiring? What is your budget? What goals do you have? I can obviously point to our CSG Spec pads as they are the top of your listings and has been validated to be so, but it comes down to expectations, budget, and goals. Fortunately enough, my team and I have actually tested nearly all the compounds available off the shelf from those manufacturers.
I like the feel of the HT10's when new, but after a couple days they start to lose that initial "feel".....hard to explain. They don't have the bite they initially had. They could be outside their temp range. I've never checked ().

Budget depends on longevity. I don't mind spending money on parts that will last and are good. No one wants to buy an expensive part and either hate it or blow through incredibly quick.

Goals would be to try a new pad that outperforms the HT10. I think the hard part I've found so far, is finding decent compounds for the PP calipers.

What would you recommend for CSG Spec pads? Assuming this is a private label pad, who makes them for you (happy to discuss via PM).

Thanks for the help and discussion!

Old 08-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Because you're swapping pads at the track (good on you), I'd recommend Carbotech XP12 in the front (CT1001-XP12) and XP10 in the rear (CT961-XP10).

They are a fairly high torque pad, have great modulation, they dust like crazy (but who cares, also the dust in non-corrosive and literally washes off with water after the track day). The only negative is they are pricey, but it turns out that you get what you pay for in this world.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
As the title states.....

Winmax?
CSG Spec pads?
Project Mu?
Hawk DTC's?
PFC?

Thanks!

The two bolded statements are mutually exclusive.

If modulation is key, go CSG pads.

If big friction is your thing, go Raybestos, but know your brake pedal will be an on-off switch with NT01.

Are you looking for *bite* or *response*?

What about release? Pad friction stability?
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
i8ur911

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

If modulation is key, go CSG pads.

If big friction is your thing, go Raybestos, but know your brake pedal will be an on-off switch with NT01.

Are you looking for *bite* or *response*?

What about release? Pad friction stability?
Big friction isn't needed. I used to run Pagid RS29's on my old track car. Those were very aggressive and felt very much as what I'd refer to as an on/off switch.

As stated before, I like really good initial bite as it tends to make me feel confident going deep into the brake zone. From there good modulation is important as I tend to trail brake a lot.

Happy to try CSG pads. I'm not familiar with them at all, so interested to hear feedback about them.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I DD a set of CSG spec pads on the stock size brakes. I love them!
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #10
CSG Mike

Quote:
Big friction isn't needed. I used to run Pagid RS29's on my old track car. Those were very aggressive and felt very much as what I'd refer to as an on/off switch.

As stated before, I like really good initial bite as it tends to make me feel confident going deep into the brake zone. From there good modulation is important as I tend to trail brake a lot.

Happy to try CSG pads. I'm not familiar with them at all, so interested to hear feedback about them.

What platform, brake setup, and tires on the car?

Braking systems do need to match the tires for optimal results. Raybestos pads on the factory braking system will be on-off with NT01, but will have great modulation with Hoosiers. Likewise, RS29 on the factory braking system will modulate great with street tires, but will have an extremely long brake pedal with Hoosiers.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #11
i8ur911

Garage
Quote:
What platform, brake setup, and tires on the car?

Braking systems do need to match the tires for optimal results. Raybestos pads on the factory braking system will be on-off with NT01, but will have great modulation with Hoosiers. Likewise, RS29 on the factory braking system will modulate great with street tires, but will have an extremely long brake pedal with Hoosiers.
Pagid's were on my 228i M-Sport w/ track pkg, so also a Brembo brake package similar to the BRZ PP brakes. I ran RE71R's on that car. In my opinion, the pads weren't a good set up for that car with those tires.

The HT10's are good, but not great. I don't have 100% confidence with those. Hoping to find a better set up.

The hard part about racing pads is that it's a lot of money to "try" something.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Quote:
Pagid's were on my 228i M-Sport w/ track pkg, so also a Brembo brake package similar to the BRZ PP brakes. I ran RE71R's on that car. In my opinion, the pads weren't a good set up for that car with those tires.

The HT10's are good, but not great. I don't have 100% confidence with those. Hoping to find a better set up.

The hard part about racing pads is that it's a lot of money to "try" something.

Was this the 340mm or the 370mm?
Old 08-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I like the feel of the HT10's when new, but after a couple days they start to lose that initial "feel".....hard to explain. They don't have the bite they initially had. They could be outside their temp range. I've never checked ().

Budget depends on longevity. I don't mind spending money on parts that will last and are good. No one wants to buy an expensive part and either hate it or blow through incredibly quick.

Goals would be to try a new pad that outperforms the HT10. I think the hard part I've found so far, is finding decent compounds for the PP calipers.

What would you recommend for CSG Spec pads? Assuming this is a private label pad, who makes them for you (happy to discuss via PM).

Thanks for the help and discussion!

CSG C1 pads have been lasting around 15 trackdays for 86CUP drivers on the PP setup with about 60% life left. We have clients who are running on Hoosiers on high energy tracks running on our compounds lasting around that time on stock calipers, discs, and no ducting. Similarly, our competitors would struggle to put down 4-5 days at best on their best compounds.

Also scrolling through the page - since you're experienced in the Pagid RS29, you'll know how screechy those pads are, but they do survive some hard brake applications up about 50% pad life. On top of that, you'll also find the pads to clunk on some M-applications and rightfully so since the pads are slightly undersized. Our CSG C1 pads are available for F-body M brake applications which fit perfectly so there aren't any clunking issues as well. Unlike the PFC competition, these pads don't have the infamous brake noise and will work in cold to hot applications.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #14
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
I consider myself to be an advanced driver...
I'm not crazy heavy on the brakes..., but I also don't have any brake cooling ducts. I like strong initial bite with good modulation. I swap pads at track, so not concerned with dust or noise.
Winmax?
CSG Spec pads?
Project Mu?
Hawk DTC's?
PFC?

I ran Winmax W5s last year per CSG recommendations, I loved them! Except for the noise, holy crap! Very loud even for track pads. Turned heads in the paddock where practically everyone is on track pads...
I also ran Project Mu CRs, not as loud but not as much bite it seemed to me.

Currently running PFC 11s on the Cayman, and they're fine for me as a track pad and drive-to-and-from track, no real complaints on them...

Quote:
IMO, not necessarily...
Different drivers running similar lap times, even in the same car, can place very different demands on brakes! It is possible to be a fast driver and relatively "easy on brakes", it is also possible to be a not-so-fast driver and be overusing the brakes.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-04-2019)