follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2018, 05:49 AM   #1
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
gt86 2017 cluster working on a pre 17 car

Hey guys! just wanted to show you guys what ive been working on.

Recently had a dilemma of buying a brz 2015 vs 2017 limited. but what i loved more on the newer model was the cluster looked a bit more updated. so i looked around and some people claimed it could some said you had to reprogram the cluster ... so i wanted to show you guys my findings as best as i could.

So if you want to do this switch and make it look as stock as possible, you will need to buy the cluster, the new steering wheel, airbag ( slightly different fitment from 13-16 vs 17-today), new clock spring. and any plugs associated to it (re-pining might be needed). so it can get expensive if you want to do this conversation.

Now to the question that alot of people have the issue when replacing a new cluster... If you have a turn key car (not a push start), the instrument cluster is part of the immobilizer system. When you replace a cluster, according to toyota TIS, if you are replacing with a brand new cluster, as long as you have everything else the same (BCM, KEY, ECU) it is pretty easy to program the cluster to the car using techstream. But it did not mention anything about used clusters. But according to some reports, some cars dont start when switching their cluster out on a turn key. Thus i think i can come to a conclusion that regular techstream cant program a used cluster to a different car.
(unless in the future i find out if it we can make the cluster "virgin" by reflashing the eeprom.)

This lead me to my first question if anyone can answer... These new cluster with the LCD on them, are they only in models that have push start? because.. it that is so. The cluster was never "binded" to a car because there is no need to.. would it mean they are still "virgins" in the sense there is no immo code stored into it.

Now for push start cars its almost plug in play. no issues.
brz or gt86 it worked fine.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a***Pq4i5gQ[/ame]

So! Now for the next thing. We have to get the directional pad that's usually in the steering wheel ive worked the resistance on the buttons in order to get something going. If any of you have any suggestions where to put the buttons at let me know. I do have a 3d printer .. so if we have to make custom plastic pieces i dont mind.

So im trying to make it as simple as possible. disconnect the old cluster.. add two extra pins in the back of the connector.. and connect the third cable to ground.

Im also thinking of using tese small 5way directional switches.. but there will be a extra button for the "back button that needs to be there as a second thing.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/504...BoCWH4QAvD_BwE

Name:  10063-01.jpg
Views: 8647
Size:  66.7 KB

Any thoughts guys?

BTW does anyone have a BRZ 2017 cluster that would want to switch with mine? My OCD when turning on/off the car and seeing the 86 logo on a BRZ is weird lol. (or prehaps if i get a brz i could see if the setting for brz/gt86 are just a BIT flip on the eeprom or something.)

EDIT: its is a 2K resistor not 2.2 corrected it.

Last edited by geraldjust; 03-13-2019 at 01:26 AM.
geraldjust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geraldjust For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-31-2018), mabviper (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
geraldjust

sorry for the double post. not sure how to delete it.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,410 Times in 803 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You can't program with techstream without the special security access. I bought the toyota factory access stuff and the option for security access is there, but it requires permission. Something that has to be done by a dealer.

I had plans to just add the buttons and put them in the center console where the heated seat switches go.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hahaha, good stuff man. Are the cluster connectors the same? If so, this swap is ridiculously simple.
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,410 Times in 803 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabviper View Post
Hahaha, good stuff man. Are the cluster connectors the same? If so, this swap is ridiculously simple.
Yes they are. They are plug and play for the most part. If you have a key car, it just needs to be programmed to your car before it will start. Push button ignition cars will work right out of the box minus the Odometer being off. Some dealers should be able to change that. Only other thing that needs done is adding the wires for the screen controls.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
geraldjust

Dam well from what i remembered it would be difficult if all keys are lost but the best info i found on this was this.

TIS - TOYOTA 2017-2019 86 Repair Manual (RM2760U) IMMO reg.pdf

Under procedure "F" its not under the immo stuff its under the body control stuff.

I had one of those amazon techstream compatible cable that come with CD that have "techstream" so il test it out. They dont come with the security features so il give it a shot.

I though of that too but the seat heater switches get in the way under the panel. I was thinking maybe the radio trip panel on the left close to the wiper stock.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@geraldjust.. you a push-star BRZ correct?
I have a 17 and have ben looking at parts to make the swap(if possible).
Found these two for the gauge for the 17 860:
SU003-07448 and SU003-07449
Not sure whats the difference.
For the switch i found this part number:
SU003-07459

With my 17 86, all I would need is to get the gauge programmed and install the new switch?

el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to el-guapin For This Useful Post:
TheBatman (12-24-2019)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
geraldjust

@el-guapin
well 17+ that have atleast radio controls have the new clock spring that have the extra pins for the radio. so you might be ok, all you would need is the switches.

And yes! push start BRZ.
i don't see what is the difference between the two.

Well perhaps just the switch...

But not sure if from the clockspring you can always check the back of your current cluster and see if pins 23 & 26 have cables attached to them. (brown-white stripe & blue-white stripe) See the pictures i attached on my first post. If they are there.. it might be very simple.

And if you got a push start button all you need to get programed is the miles corrected.

if turn key then thats when it gets a lil dicely.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #9
el-guapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
well 17+ that have atleast radio controls have the new clock spring that have the extra pins for the radio. so you might be ok, all you would need is the switches.

And yes! push start BRZ.
i don't see what is the difference between the two.

Well perhaps just the switch...

But not sure if from the clockspring you can always check the back of your current cluster and see if pins 23 & 26 have cables attached to them. (brown-white stripe & blue-white stripe) See the pictures i attached on my first post. If they are there.. it might be very simple.

And if you got a push start button all you need to get programed is the miles corrected.

if turn key then thats when it gets a lil dicely.
Thanks for the info. I, unfortunately, have turn-key ignition. Will have to research more about programming the new cluster.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 AM   #10
geraldjust

@el-guapin

Toyota dealer could prob do it for you. Im looking into the internal of the clusters. Perhaps the immo keys are saved in the eeprom so it could be copied over. Or something similar to that.
TheBatman (12-24-2019)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:53 AM   #11
geraldjust

After much tinkering i figured out how to reset the cluster, So it could probably accept new programing keys for immo. but in order to program it you would still need to go to a dealer. Figured out how to correct the milage too though.

If anyone is interested i can dump the flash chip on the cluster. This is what keeps all the graphics for the screen. Prehaps if i get my hands on the "GR" cluster or STI or BRZ i could dump those too in order to make them interchangeable. or If anyone is willing to help me reverse engineer the flash we could make custom logos or something.

If anyone is interested here are the pictures of these new clusters internals. and the flash chip close up.

Boomerang (08-31-2018), DustinS (08-31-2018), Plumbus (09-30-2020), sly (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #12
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Amazing thread. keep it going.

Subbed
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #13
el-guapin

@geraldjust... Thanks for sharing!. Just a thought, you should get a hacked techstream program(easily available online)and one of those eBay mini VCI cables to see if you can program the cluster. Actually, if you buy the cable the program is included.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:27 PM   #14
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-guapin View Post
@geraldjust... Thanks for sharing!. Just a thought, you should get a hacked techstream program(easily available online)and one of those eBay mini VCI cables to see if you can program the cluster. Actually, if you buy the cable the program is included.

I could try to do that but since i dont have a turn key car i might not see the same options as that car. So for now its up in the air about that.

Does anyone know if any aftermaket face guage overlays for the 2017+ clusters?