follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2022, 07:49 AM   #82909
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,893
Thanks: 59,236
Thanked 101,703 Times in 44,064 Posts
Mentioned: 2417 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Hey. Im just saying, the Army is offering a 50K enlistment bonus. Just saying....
$50,000 would have been just over 6 YEARS total pay when I was in the army.
Or enlistment bonus was a free haircut.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 08:14 AM   #82910
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,892
Thanks: 901
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,162 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
$50,000 would have been just over 6 YEARS total pay when I was in the army.
Or enlistment bonus was a free haircut.

I got a pat in the back and a 10 week vacation to Fort Jackson, NC. Haircuts aren't free, the Army pays you but then takes it back.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spcmafia For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-18-2022), Spuds (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #82911
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 18,055
Thanks: 34,860
Thanked 21,904 Times in 10,071 Posts
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
$50,000 would have been just over 6 YEARS total pay when I was in the army.
Or enlistment bonus was a free haircut.
It's still a couple of years pay in the lower ranks.

Maybe what they should really do to entice folks to join is pay a decent wage.

The military is the one service provided by the Feds I'm happy to contribute to.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-18-2022), Spuds (01-18-2022), Tcoat (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #82912
weederr33
Airborne at your service
 
weederr33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 5,721
Thanks: 4,159
Thanked 4,840 Times in 2,576 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
It's still a couple of years pay in the lower ranks.

Maybe what they should really do to entice folks to join is pay a decent wage.

The military is the one service provided by the Feds I'm happy to contribute to.
I can agree with this. I get soldiers don't have to worry about 'rent' per se, but many could use a raise. I mean, a lot of the guys I talk to don't really make it off well till they are an E4.
__________________
Series.Yellowbird - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122135

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #82913
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,893
Thanks: 59,236
Thanked 101,703 Times in 44,064 Posts
Mentioned: 2417 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
It's still a couple of years pay in the lower ranks.

Maybe what they should really do to entice folks to join is pay a decent wage.

The military is the one service provided by the Feds I'm happy to contribute to.
When you consider inflation it is almost exactly the same!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-18-2022), Ultramaroon (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #82914
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,892
Thanks: 901
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,162 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I can agree with this. I get soldiers don't have to worry about 'rent' per se, but many could use a raise. I mean, a lot of the guys I talk to don't really make it off well till they are an E4.

Lets not forget about those E-1s that marry the first dependa in their sight and sign a contract for that brand new V6 challenger with a 20% APR.

Tell you what, there was nothing better than going to the range with almost an unlimited amount of ammo (thank you taxpayers) so that you can just mess around at the end of quals. All ammo had to be used, and I always was more than willing to practice some battle drills just to spend all the leftover ammo.

Extra ammo for the MK-19/50 Cal. is a blessing.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spcmafia For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-18-2022), soundman98 (01-18-2022), Teseo (01-18-2022), weederr33 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #82915
weederr33
Airborne at your service
 
weederr33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 5,721
Thanks: 4,159
Thanked 4,840 Times in 2,576 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Lets not forget about those E-1s that marry the first dependa in their sight and sign a contract for that brand new V6 challenger with a 20% APR.

Tell you what, there was nothing better than going to the range with almost an unlimited amount of ammo (thank you taxpayers) so that you can just mess around at the end of quals. All ammo had to be used, and I always was more than willing to practice some battle drills just to spend all the leftover ammo.

Extra ammo for the MK-19/50 Cal. is a blessing.
Lmao several people in my Company already bought their fancy cars. A few are engaged, too. All E3 and below.

As for wasting ammo, I always jumped on that!
__________________
Series.Yellowbird - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122135

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-18-2022), spcmafia (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #82916
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,893
Thanks: 59,236
Thanked 101,703 Times in 44,064 Posts
Mentioned: 2417 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Lets not forget about those E-1s that marry the first dependa in their sight and sign a contract for that brand new V6 challenger with a 20% APR.

Tell you what, there was nothing better than going to the range with almost an unlimited amount of ammo (thank you taxpayers) so that you can just mess around at the end of quals. All ammo had to be used, and I always was more than willing to practice some battle drills just to spend all the leftover ammo.

Extra ammo for the MK-19/50 Cal. is a blessing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Lmao several people in my Company already bought their fancy cars. A few are engaged, too. All E3 and below.

As for wasting ammo, I always jumped on that!
Told this story before but think it was probably before SPC was here.
Back in Germany I was a truck driver. Most of the time I refueled aircraft but a couple of times I had to take my turn as one of two Duty Drivers. This usually meant sitting around the transport office waiting to see if anybody needed a driver for some random task. Rarely did you ever have a call though since random tasks were unusual.
One time we got sent to Ordnance to do a "disposal" run. Now this usually meant loading up a bunch of garbage and taking it to the dump. Not this time!
They take us to the dock and there are two SKIDS of M-72 LAWs. Don't remember how may pieces there were but it was at a least 100. Apparently they were "out of use dated" and no longer to be held nor "suitable" for training (or some words along that line) and had to be disposed of.
We receive the very precise instructions to take them to the tank range and "expend" them.

So, we loaded them up and drove off the the tank range. When we got there I am pretty sure we woke the Range Safety Officer up since he was not impressed at all by our presence. He had us sign in and go out and put up all the red flags and then disappeared back into his shack.

So now we have two teenaged Mobile Support Equipment Operators on a, for all intents and purposes, unsupervised range with 100 or so LAWs. Since we were Logistic and not Infantry neither one of use had ever had any training in these things but the instructions were pretty easy to read so we start "expending" them. We fired them at the old tank hulk target, the piles of scrape metal that used to be trucks and made every attempt to get one through the slits in the concrete target bunkers. This was fun for a bit but then we decided to see what happened if you fired them into the air. Well it turns out they go much further than expected and landed in the open field where they immediately started a grass fire. Had to dash over and put that out before the RSO woke up again!

When we were done we reported back to the RSO, gave him the standard declaration of "I have no live rounds or empty casings in my possession sir" and left with a whole truckload of expended LAWs. After we dropped the empties off back at Ordnance and they cleared that we had used them all up we went back to the Transport Ready Room and had a nap.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-18-2022), gen3v8 (01-18-2022), humfrz (01-18-2022), NoHaveMSG (01-18-2022), pope (01-19-2022), soundman98 (01-18-2022), spcmafia (01-18-2022), Spuds (01-18-2022), Ultramaroon (01-18-2022), weederr33 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 12:51 PM   #82917
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,892
Thanks: 901
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,162 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Told this story before but think it was probably before SPC was here.
Back in Germany I was a truck driver. Most of the time I refueled aircraft but a couple of times I had to take my turn as one of two Duty Drivers. This usually meant sitting around the transport office waiting to see if anybody needed a driver for some random task. Rarely did you ever have a call though since random tasks were unusual.
One time we got sent to Ordnance to do a "disposal" run. Now this usually meant loading up a bunch of garbage and taking it to the dump. Not this time!
They take us to the dock and there are two SKIDS of M-72 LAWs. Don't remember how may pieces there were but it was at a least 100. Apparently they were "out of use dated" and no longer to be held nor "suitable" for training (or some words along that line) and had to be disposed of.
We receive the very precise instructions to take them to the tank range and "expend" them.

So, we loaded them up and drove off the the tank range. When we got there I am pretty sure we woke the Range Safety Officer up since he was not impressed at all by our presence. He had us sign in and go out and put up all the red flags and then disappeared back into his shack.

So now we have two teenaged Mobile Support Equipment Operators on a, for all intents and purposes, unsupervised range with 100 or so LAWs. Since we were Logistic and not Infantry neither one of use had ever had any training in these things but the instructions were pretty easy to read so we start "expending" them. We fired them at the old tank hulk target, the piles of scrape metal that used to be trucks and made every attempt to get one through the slits in the concrete target bunkers. This was fun for a bit but then we decided to see what happened if you fired them into the air. Well it turns out they go much further than expected and landed in the open field where they immediately started a grass fire. Had to dash over and put that out before the RSO woke up again!

When we were done we reported back to the RSO, gave him the standard declaration of "I have no live rounds or empty casings in my possession sir" and left with a whole truckload of expended LAWs. After we dropped the empties off back at Ordnance and they cleared that we had used them all up we went back to the Transport Ready Room and had a nap.

That...is awesome.


__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to spcmafia For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #82918
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,893
Thanks: 59,236
Thanked 101,703 Times in 44,064 Posts
Mentioned: 2417 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
That...is awesome.
The same sort of thing happened when they started replacing the old C-1 SMG that drivers and other support personnel carried with the C-7(M-16). All of a sudden there was this massive excess stock of dated 9mm ammo. We spent a few days just pumping rounds through the poor old SMGs until they got so hot they just stopped working. That was done in a much more controlled manner though.

__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.

Last edited by Tcoat; 01-18-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Tcoat is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (01-18-2022), NoHaveMSG (01-18-2022), soundman98 (01-18-2022), spcmafia (01-18-2022), Ultramaroon (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 07:06 PM   #82919
Sapphireho
Kentucky fried slackin
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: Costco boxer briefs
Location: Caldwell, ID
Posts: 11,286
Thanks: 4,728
Thanked 14,539 Times in 7,136 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So, you are making a roast, and have to take it out of the oven. You open a drawer and see this. Which pair do you grab?
Attached Images
 
Sapphireho is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 07:20 PM   #82920
Ultramaroon
not slacking
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 28,814
Thanks: 46,346
Thanked 31,656 Times in 16,682 Posts
Mentioned: 1039 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
So, you are making a roast, and have to take it out of the oven. You open a drawer and see this. Which pair do you grab?
The old one because the new gloves are there for when an old one gets threadbare.
__________________
Ultramaroon is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Sapphireho (01-18-2022), Spuds (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 07:48 PM   #82921
Sapphireho
Kentucky fried slackin
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: Costco boxer briefs
Location: Caldwell, ID
Posts: 11,286
Thanks: 4,728
Thanked 14,539 Times in 7,136 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The old one because the new gloves are there for when an old one gets threadbare.
Most logical answer.

Now, add a woman into the equation.
Sapphireho is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 PM   #82922
Ultramaroon
not slacking
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 28,814
Thanks: 46,346
Thanked 31,656 Times in 16,682 Posts
Mentioned: 1039 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Most logical answer.

Now, add a woman into the equation.
Neither. I use the pair I have hidden so I always know where to find them.
__________________
Ultramaroon is online now  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Sapphireho (01-18-2022), soundman98 (01-18-2022), Spuds (01-18-2022), x808drifter (01-20-2022)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Language Rant Part Deux MuseChaser Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 43 04-23-2017 07:55 PM
Random thoughts thread MrVito Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 37188 02-25-2016 10:00 AM
Random Rubber Part OoLong BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 8 01-28-2014 10:31 AM
Crew Carshow : Part Deux 9/7/13 saiyajinimports Great Lakes 0 08-17-2013 05:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.