follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2021, 10:54 PM   #15
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Neither Toyota nor Subaru make transmissions directly themselves. In fact they "make" very very few parts.
The transmissions will still be Aisins I am sure.
But...
Since Aisin is a part of the Toyota group I guess you could sort of say they are "Toyota" transmissions.
Toyota’s WV plant lines off a transmission every 25 seconds.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/in-a-fl...ns-in-seconds/

Funny enough, a fair portion of WV’s production has been various Aisin designed transmissions. But, as you said, Aisin is a Toyota family company.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
alone1i (12-19-2021), JesseG (12-29-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #16
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
As far as i know the only bad CVT's were early use case cars (like first gen mini owned by BMW) and the Nissan Jatko (jesko?) CVT's.

They're not bad transmissions but they're incredibly boring compared to a traditional automatic (yes such a thing is possible)

Toyota CVT are fine (they've also been used forever in Prius), I havent heard of anything bad about Subaru CVT's, and i had a Honda fit with a CVT and it was fine.

Keeping it traditional automatic in the twins was a good idea, i wonder why they didn't go with an 8 speed for the second gen though....
Yes the early Nissan/Jatco CVTs were really bad. And in a sense, the push-belt (yes, it's a belt that pushes) CVT concept itself is really fragile, which is why toyota's latest CVT design incorporate a hard gear for launch and low speed, to take strain out of the push-belt. Toyota hybrid systems do NOT use a CVT in the conventional sense. there are no pullies, belts, chains, toroids or any power transmission device to alter the ratio between input and output. They use the speed difference between two electric motors and one single planetary set to cover the entire speed range and reverse, they're pretty much the simplest transmission in the auto industry, excluding things like pure electric cars with a single (Leaf) or two ratios (Taycan), or cars with no transmission at all like a regera.

Subaru's CVTs are the chain driven type and less fragile than push-belts, but they still rely on microslip and sheer-hardening fluid for engagement, which limits ultimate torque handling capacity (see TFL trying to offroad an outback).

The boring-ness factor of a CVT depends a lot on it's tuning, Like for something built on the same engine platform in similar-sized vehicles, a Chrysler CVT2 in a pre-fiat jeep patriot is an absolute dog compared to a Mitsubishi INVECS-III in an RVR, the Mitsubishi feels easy to rev and feels like it transmits power, the Chrysler just feels like slop, drops the revs too low, too fast, is too reluctant to kick down and when it does you realise accelerating is a chore anyway so why bother.

I think the absolute worst was the first gen Nissan Murano: it was disconcerting to drive and was completely unnatural. It felt like the throttle pedal was linked to the transmission, and you would press it which would result in rpms climbing, but not power, which would gradually increase as it's own pace independent from the revs. A truly awful box on wheels.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:01 PM   #17
LanceLane174

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WRB, MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Agreed that CVT is not ideal for BRZ. But having owned 7 CVT Subarus I see no issues with them. I have heard all of the complaints but for normal driving in my Legacies and Foresters they have been great.

I am very interested to see how they improved on it in the new WRX. They call it something else but it is really a CVT. And it sounds like it does rev matching and they have it tuned to feel more like a double clutch auto. We shall see.
LanceLane174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:41 AM   #18
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Aisin trannys are well known to be pretty good. They use them in everything from Porsches to Dodge Ram trucks.
Like anything else they can and will fail if abused or sometimes you just get a bad one but overall you can't go too far wrong.
I can usually pick out the domestic models but Aisin trannys can be amazing.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #19
LanceLane174

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WRB, MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Neither Toyota nor Subaru make transmissions directly themselves. In fact they "make" very very few parts.
The transmissions will still be Aisins I am sure.
But...
Since Aisin is a part of the Toyota group I guess you could sort of say they are "Toyota" transmissions.
To be fair Toyota is the largest and controlling owner of Aisin. So in effect I would say it is a Toyota transmission.
LanceLane174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #20
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
As far as i know the only bad CVT's were early use case cars (like first gen mini owned by BMW) and the Nissan Jatko (jesko?) CVT's.

They're not bad transmissions but they're incredibly boring compared to a traditional automatic (yes such a thing is possible)

Toyota CVT are fine (they've also been used forever in Prius), I havent heard of anything bad about Subaru CVT's, and i had a Honda fit with a CVT and it was fine.

Keeping it traditional automatic in the twins was a good idea, i wonder why they didn't go with an 8 speed for the second gen though....
The CVT in our 2014 Forester was reliable and made for a very comfortable ride. I liked how I could set the cruise control for 75 or 80 MPH and while crossing the Rocky Mountains, the tranny would dial in whatever ratio was needed to go up or down the grades. No abrupt shifting and jolting when the next lower gear was needed. The whole time, the speedometer never varied more than 1/2 MPH. Our 2019 Ascent is a different animal as when you put your foot into it a bit more, the CVT will select one of eight pre-set ratios and shift like an auto with planetary gears. The eight ratios can also be selected in manual mode via paddle shifters. It took a bit of getting used to that setup, but having a 6-speed auto in my BRZ, the arrangement was familiar. If the Subaru transmission was anything like the Jatco CVT, I would be looking for another car. A friend had a Nissan and that tranny was awful. The Subaru has a chain that pulls. The Jatco has a stack of plates held together with bands that pushes from one pulley to the next. Someone told me that the Jatco was quieter than the Subaru. Maybe so. You know what is quieter still? Your car sitting on the side of the road while you are waiting for the tow truck.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote