follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by villainous_frx View Post
Is it not?
Sort of a combination of a few depending on age.
villainous_frx (11-04-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #44
PenGun
Banned

Drives: Red 2019 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It doesn't need a double clutch. It isn't a 1950 Willys Jeep.
If you want to baby shift, its up to you. I shift that way because it brings the RPM to just the right place, for a seamless and smooth shift.

Forget 50 Willys, my 87 Sammy needs to be shifted that way too.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:34 PM   #45
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsio View Post
So can I just push gearbox a bit harder or should I perform some secret shenanigans after cold startup before jumping into traffic?

Just quoting you so you might actually read this, OP.

The stock gearbox fluid isn't the best. Don't get me wrong - it works and it's what the car came with, but there is better stuff out there. Amsoil, Motul, etc. Even on a 2020 like your profile says, might be worth changing.

With that said, gearboxes don't warm up by sitting. So you're SOL for getting it warm before pulling out. It's not even really shifting that does it, but driving. When you're moving, things are going on in there, heating it up.

Low tech solution, but my neighbors used to put a hot work light on under their oil pan before starting their car on super cold days in the winter. Not saying it's going to make a huge difference, but will probably help. You can actually set it all up the night before and plug it from your garage or through a window the morning of. Kinda like a low-tech engine block heater.

I do feel your pain though. 1-2 is not the best even for me and I store the car inside and only use it in the spring-fall. Rarely sees even 35-40 degrees F. Downshifting when moving to 1st always doesn't feel the best, so that's just a quirk of the car. I try to only upshift to 2nd if I'm going to actually stay in 2nd or up if at all possible. If I'm seeing up ahead I'm going to be slowing down again soon, I'll just hit 3k in 1st and hold it, moving slow, but not doing necessary up and downshifts.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:32 AM   #46
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I have a '15 and I had a '21 model too. Both required a bit of effort when shifting 1-2 in cold, but after ~10 minutes that transmission oil temperature was normal the shifting feel was much better.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #47
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I find it interesting how some bristle at any suggestion of mechanical sympathy. A machine is a machine is a machine. It's possible to operate the derailleur of a bicycle while pedaling with full force but, with the chain scraping and popping across the sprockets, it sure feels awful.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #48
lapsio

Drives: 2020 BRZ Final Edition, 1999 MX5 NB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
The stock gearbox fluid isn't the best. Don't get me wrong - it works and it's what the car came with, but there is better stuff out there. Amsoil, Motul, etc. Even on a 2020 like your profile says, might be worth changing.
It actually kinda frustrates me. I mean lets face it. 2020 BRZ Final Edition in Europe costs 40k euro. It's around 45k usd and that's what I paid for it. Yet they couldn't fill it with high quality fluids ootb. Like... wow. Really? Are you serious? It's already overpriced as hell for what it is yet they didn't even bother doing simple stuff that would improve life quality. I don't even have back up camera nor auto dimming rear mirror because those options were not available for EU spec. In 200hp car for 45k usd. Just wow. It's almost Supra territory price-wise (which I didn't get because I wanted 2+2 seats and manual trans).

My father works at Audi and every time he enters my BRZ he says "jesus I can't balieve this thing had cost this much money". And while I don't really agree with that, sometimes you do really wonder what the hell were they thinking... I mean it's not like you absolutely need it but then again what you paid vs what you got is... questionable. Lets put it that way. It's really hard to see *this* value in *this* car. If it wasn't my poster car for years I would maybe even care. But since it was I'm just coping with fact that my dream has some twists I did not predict and now I have to learn how to live with that
lapsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #49
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsio View Post
It actually kinda frustrates me. I mean lets face it. 2020 BRZ Final Edition in Europe costs 40k euro. It's around 45k usd and that's what I paid for it. Yet they couldn't fill it with high quality fluids ootb. Like... wow. Really? Are you serious? It's already overpriced as hell for what it is yet they didn't even bother doing simple stuff that would improve life quality. I don't even have back up camera nor auto dimming rear mirror because those options were not available for EU spec. In 200hp car for 45k usd. Just wow. It's almost Supra territory price-wise (which I didn't get because I wanted 2+2 seats and manual trans).

My father works at Audi and every time he enters my BRZ he says "jesus I can't balieve this thing had cost this much money". And while I don't really agree with that, sometimes you do really wonder what the hell were they thinking... I mean it's not like you absolutely need it but then again what you paid vs what you got is... questionable. Lets put it that way. It's really hard to see *this* value in *this* car. If it wasn't my poster car for years I would maybe even care. But since it was I'm just coping with fact that my dream has some twists I did not predict and now I have to learn how to live with that
Are you aware that EU adds a 10% tariff to all Japanese imported cars? It is a way to protect their own production and a reason most Japanese companies to own manufacturing plants in Europe. Unfortunately, Subaru is too small to invest on this and thus the slow death in Europe.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #50
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
When temps are down around 0c or colder letting the car warm up a couple minutes before setting off helps with the first few shifts.
Typically I'll toss the lunchbox in the trunk, start it and go back inside to finish up making my coffee.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote