follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #617
cruizin01

Drives: 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
15 sessions of aggressive autox doesn't quiet them. 20min sessions at MidO doesnt quiet them. Not sure what else there is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #618
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin01 View Post
15 sessions of aggressive autox doesn't quiet them. 20min sessions at MidO doesnt quiet them. Not sure what else there is.

Sell them, it's the only solution I found for that... Otherwise, live with it, because racecar
The Following User Says Thank You to Cartman For This Useful Post:
cruizin01 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #619
cruizin01

Ugh. I shouldn't have cheaped out on the AP's...#ifail

Old 09-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #620
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ugh. I shouldn't have cheaped out on the AP's...#ifail
If your car is not being driven in a race, then take the racecar pads off of it.

Street pads man. Problem solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (09-19-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #621
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
If your car is not being driven in a race, then take the racecar pads off of it.

Street pads man. Problem solved.
As I mentioned, Ive had Porterfield R4-S pads on it and BP20's. The R4S pads Ive used on 3 other cars with a total of 5 brake setups and they never made noise. They are terribly noisy with this Wilwood setup. The same with the BP20's I have 2 friends with them on small wilwood setups and they are fine.

I believe its something with the calipers not having any dampening springs to hold the pad from vibrating. They screech like a Pterodactyl whether they are cold, warm or smoking hot.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #622
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
As I mentioned, Ive had Porterfield R4-S pads on it and BP20's. The R4S pads Ive used on 3 other cars with a total of 5 brake setups and they never made noise. They are terribly noisy with this Wilwood setup. The same with the BP20's I have 2 friends with them on small wilwood setups and they are fine.

I believe its something with the calipers not having any dampening springs to hold the pad from vibrating. They screech like a Pterodactyl whether they are cold, warm or smoking hot.
Different brake kits most likely require need different configurations. So why spend thousands on calipers but gripe about putting street hardware in while driving on the street? A set of street pads costs less than a single tire. Would you think it kind of silly if someone was complaining about their 200TW tires not being quiet and comfortable on the street? Get the right pads for your driving conditions.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #623
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:

I've got the stage 2 kit with BP20 pads. I don't think this combination will ever be 100% silent on the street, but after a good bedding (track weekend), it definitely quiets down. Under light braking, it's silent. In moderate braking or once the brakes get some heat, it will still screech a fair amount.

Once the rotors lose that transfer layer, it's usually back to screeching full time. I don't mind since my car is driven mostly on track, but friends/family who ride in my car usually ask whether I need to change my pads lol.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #624
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
@cruizin01 Unfortunately I think you're right.... with this BBK using the super-light Wilwood calipers, they just reverberate alot of pad noise. The BP10s that came with my performance kit sequel pretty bad, tried some hawk hps and they actually after breaking in turned out to be even louder....

I even tried using that orange brake noise grease on the back of the pads, that helped for about a day. Maybe there are some magical shims that would help these out, but not sure.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #625
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The only way I managed to quiet down my kit was running EBC greenstuff with their anti squeal tape and placing the wilwood shims on top of the tape. and it wasn't 100% quiet.

I've ended up returning to OEM calipers, which surprisingly improved my lap times by 1.7 seconds.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 AM   #626
maregt

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have stage 2 front caliper with Ferodo DS2500 and blank dba 4000 rotors. Brakes are silent when cold (i mean, dead cold) and they start to squeal when they get warm after 3-4 stops.

Inviato dal mio LG-M320 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #627
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Different brake kits most likely require need different configurations. So why spend thousands on calipers but gripe about putting street hardware in while driving on the street? A set of street pads costs less than a single tire. Would you think it kind of silly if someone was complaining about their 200TW tires not being quiet and comfortable on the street? Get the right pads for your driving conditions.
I dont follow your logic. Having a setup thats capable of withstanding more heat shouldn't automatically force you into a setup thats miserable on the street. Hence why I attempted a couple different sets of street pads for street use. Ive had setups on cars with significantly larger calipers than these wilwoods with zero issues using the same pads. So its nothing to do with how much I spent or these calipers being too "racecar".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I've got the stage 2 kit with BP20 pads. I don't think this combination will ever be 100% silent on the street, but after a good bedding (track weekend), it definitely quiets down. Under light braking, it's silent. In moderate braking or once the brakes get some heat, it will still screech a fair amount.

Once the rotors lose that transfer layer, it's usually back to screeching full time. I don't mind since my car is driven mostly on track, but friends/family who ride in my car usually ask whether I need to change my pads lol.
I understand. Sometimes that seems to work and other times it doesn't. Last autoX event coming home they were even more noisy than when I left the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
@cruizin01 Unfortunately I think you're right.... with this BBK using the super-light Wilwood calipers, they just reverberate alot of pad noise. The BP10s that came with my performance kit sequel pretty bad, tried some hawk hps and they actually after breaking in turned out to be even louder....

I even tried using that orange brake noise grease on the back of the pads, that helped for about a day. Maybe there are some magical shims that would help these out, but not sure.
Yeah Ive tried the orange goo. Ive tried chamfering the pads. Ive tried the magic sauce that you soak into the pads to quiet them down. Ive tried a seperate set of rotors. It all is very temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
The only way I managed to quiet down my kit was running EBC greenstuff with their anti squeal tape and placing the wilwood shims on top of the tape. and it wasn't 100% quiet.

I've ended up returning to OEM calipers, which surprisingly improved my lap times by 1.7 seconds.
Im definitely considering that. At this point Im only doing 1-2 track days a year and several autox events. Beyond that its just a weekend/fun street car. The stock setup would be fine with the right pad setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maregt View Post
I have stage 2 front caliper with Ferodo DS2500 and blank dba 4000 rotors. Brakes are silent when cold (i mean, dead cold) and they start to squeal when they get warm after 3-4 stops.

Inviato dal mio LG-M320 utilizzando Tapatalk
Yeah, same here. They are quiet until warmed up.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #628
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't tried many setups with my sport kit but the only pads I've found so far completely silent were EBC Yellowstuff. Don't need to run any grease or shims or anything. BP10s were mostly quiet with just the occasional squeak. Winmax W5 are quiet when dead cold but make terrible noise within about 3 or 4 stops.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #629
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
I dont follow your logic. Having a setup thats capable of withstanding more heat shouldn't automatically force you into a setup thats miserable on the street. Hence why I attempted a couple different sets of street pads for street use. Ive had setups on cars with significantly larger calipers than these wilwoods with zero issues using the same pads. So its nothing to do with how much I spent or these calipers being too "racecar".
With brakes, more heat capacity almost always means more noise when cold.

The problem you're running into is that you expect a cougar to behave like a Scottish fold without understanding the effort it might take to figure out what will make it more civilized.

Different materials, design and construction create different harmonics under different pressures and temperatures. Brake calipers, pistons, pads, shims, fluid etc are designed as a system to operate with degrees of performance (heat capacity, noise, vibration, longevity, etc.) given a specific performance and comfort goals. An OEM brake system is designed to produce street driving condition performance and comfort. Most aftermarket Big Brake Kits are not designed to produce those same results but can get you close to that with some pad tuning effort.

Undoubtedly some additional research on pads was needed for this kit if you intend it for a street car . Note that most of the marketing materials on the kit don't mention it being for that purpose. Managing expectations matters. Put racecar stuff on your street car and watch as it magically stops acting like a street car. Or, continue working to find out which pads might be totally silent on this kit. I think @Lynxis posted just above that EBC Yellowstuff seems to do the trick. Try them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (09-22-2017), strat61caster (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #630
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
@DAEMANO alludes to this but one of the major factors here is that Wilwood and other dedicated racing calipers don't have any harmonic dampening built in whereas any street focused caliper will. For reference, several people reported the Winmax W5s as being civilised enough for street use on an OEM caliper but in the RR SP kit, they are far too obnoxious for that.

So far, Yellowstuff is the only pad I've found that stands up to track abuse and is still quiet on the street in my SP kit. I do have complaints about them in that they don't last very long and they don't have the type of bite I'd like from a track pad but they are certainly serviceable for their purpose as a dual duty pad. I'm going to try the bluestuff down the road but not until after I've been through the other pads I've got.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-23-2017)

Closed Thread

Tags
big brake kit, competition, track