follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Honestly, the biggest drawback for me would be load time of the tune file with the OFT. Dyno time is at a premium and it would be hard facing precious tuning time being lost to file writing- even for the smallest changes. That's sorta the debate I'm having with the OFT. I am okay to drop ~$1000 for the Ecutek stuff but their business model stinks and would rather just avoid them entirely. I can't do a standalone EMS because of emissions laws in my region so I'm left with not much else. I guess I will continue to lurk around OFT and see what happens? But for real, OFT and it's monitoring and logging capabilities are worth the $500 alone.

Is there anyway to speed up file write times?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #16
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Honestly, the biggest drawback for me would be load time of the tune file with the OFT. Dyno time is at a premium and it would be hard facing precious tuning time being lost to file writing- even for the smallest changes. That's sorta the debate I'm having with the OFT. I am okay to drop ~$1000 for the Ecutek stuff but their business model stinks and would rather just avoid them entirely. I can't do a standalone EMS because of emissions laws in my region so I'm left with not much else. I guess I will continue to lurk around OFT and see what happens? But for real, OFT and it's monitoring and logging capabilities are worth the $500 alone.

Is there anyway to speed up file write times?
Speeding up writes times is easy. It just involves writing a small portion of the ROM (where the mapping data is located) instead of the whole ROM. This would reduce write times to 30 sec versus 5 minutes.

The problem with this is that it can be risky if the user doesn't know what he is doing. It's would be possible to write a portion of a ROM into a ROM file that isn't compatible. Which would result in a corrupt file and a possibly nonrecoverable ECU. This is not to say that we will never offer partial writing. But it is something that takes a good amount of time to implement correctly with sufficient safeguards for the end user.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (01-23-2015), Julio86 (01-25-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #17
Robert@Openflash

Drives: C6 Z06
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
you should get one and I can set one up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Why don't I have one of these yet!?!?
Robert@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Speeding up writes times is easy. It just involves writing a small portion of the ROM (where the mapping data is located) instead of the whole ROM. This would reduce write times to 30 sec versus 5 minutes.

The problem with this is that it can be risky if the user doesn't know what he is doing. It's would be possible to write a portion of a ROM into a ROM file that isn't compatible. Which would result in a corrupt file and a possibly nonrecoverable ECU. This is not to say that we will never offer partial writing. But it is something that takes a good amount of time to implement correctly with sufficient safeguards for the end user.
Dont like contradicting anyone but taxtrix\ecuflash does complete rom write of 1280k bytes

tactrix\ecuflash does full erase first then writes complete rom its always 80 sec does not matter if your writing a couple of changes to an existing rom or a complely new rom ie different calid like updating from A01G to D00G. that has completly different structure so partial write would not work.in that case.

So its certianly possible to write a full rom in that timeframe.

Agree partial write would be a dangereous practice with all the different rom types structures, patches ect.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
akyp (02-03-2015), Andrew025 (01-24-2015), hmong337 (01-24-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #19
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Dont like contradicting anyone but taxtrix\ecuflash does complete rom write of 1280k bytes

tactrix\ecuflash does full erase first then writes complete rom its always 80 sec does not matter if your writing a couple of changes to an existing rom or a complely new rom ie different calid like updating from A01G to D00G. that has completly different structure so partial write would not work.in that case.

So its certianly possible to write a full rom in that timeframe.

Agree partial write would be a dangereous practice with all the different rom types structures, patches ect.
If they are writing the entire file in 80 seconds, that's great news. We should be able to do that as well as it would just be a matter of reducing the wait time between each CAN command. I'll CAN sniff a write through Taxtrix cable to confirm. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
akyp (02-03-2015), Andrew025 (01-24-2015), hmong337 (01-23-2015), nunonuna (01-24-2015), Sleepless (01-25-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #20
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Seems like this would make using E85 without a flex fuel kit much less stressful. Very nice!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #21
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
You can configure up to 3 different Tuning Alerts. And each Tuning Alert can have up to 4 conditionals that can be set as an OR or AND condition. For available channels, it will be a subset of the up-to-14 channels you configured for data logging/viewing. So if you wanted to create a lean run alert, you would do something like this in one of the 4 Tuning Alert menus:

Throttle > 70%
Engine Speed > 2000rpm
Engine Load > 1.0
AFR > 13.0

AND

With these settings, the alert would trigger if all of those conditions were met. The throttle and engine load conditions would keep the alert from triggering during lean spikes caused by lift throttle or traction control intervention. And the RPM condition would keep it from triggering at very low RPM where AFR can be a bit unstable. The AND setting makes sure that ALL of these conditions must be true for the alert to sound. If you used an OR setting, only one of these conditions would have to be true for the alert to sound.

You must be in the Realtime Data screen for the Tuning Alerts to work. You can be in any one of the 3 viewing options (14 channel, 3 channel or graphic). One the alert triggers, the OFT will beep and the flash the screen. After that the triggered channels will flash. To reset the channel flashing, simply press the RESET button.

To create a good Tuning Alert for low Advance Mult, you can simply set up a second Tuning Alert using just one single conditional.:

Advance Multiplier < 0.5

For a good Tuning Alert for overboost, overheat and knock, you can set up a 3rd conditional like this using an OR setting (so only one single condition needs to be true for the alert to trigger):

Boost > 10psi
Coolant Temp > 240
Knock Correction < -3.0
OR

Pretty awesome, huh?

Cheers,
shiv
My god man, I got a chubber from reading that.