follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #29
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yay for GM!
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #30
Dustin2JZ
StatusLow

Drives: 2013 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I know this thread has been dead a for a couple weeks but I thought I would shed some light. First, cars with smart key (push to start) will still run with key out of the car. In our case if the car is running and you get out with your key. You can not still lock the car. So it would make it very unsafe to start your car them leave it while it warms up.

Now, to add a remote start to the twins poses a couple problems that differ from most cars. If it has smart key that is (BRZ limited or 10 series FRS). If it has the standard key it a basic remote start install with one exception. On almost all modern cars, an aftermarket remote start requires an immobilizer or transponder bypass. The two most common are FlashLogics FLCAN and Xpresskits DBALL. DBALL does not support the twins. The FLCAN does but, what's different about our cars is that it requires one module for door lock bypass and another for remote start.

However they don't currently offer a flash for smart key models. What I had to do, was use one FLCAN for door lock control (the standard key flash does work for this) and use auxiliary outputs to give power to the start/stop switch and to power a 1101T - Universal Proximity Key Bypass module. Unfortunately this requires you to give up a key. But it was worth it to me.

I'm still working on getting the viper system to make the factory beep. As I didn't opt to install the siren. ( I prefer to just have the two way function and catch the theif in the act)

Also to touch on the remote start on a manual car subject. If you get a remote start install by a certified installer it will not start in gear. All viper models that have manual transmission mode have a certain process to get the remote start to work. (not all do have a manual mode and a certified installer wont put one on that doesn't)

Manual transmission mode requires you to perform a certain sequence to shut the car off in order to be able to remote start. Including setting the parking brake opening a door, remote starting the car with the remote while it's still running then getting out shutting the door and locking the doors. It will them shut the car off for you and if the anyone enters the car or the alarm is triggered in anyway. It will not remote start.
Also just in case you didn't know if you remote start a car, if the alarm is triggered it will kill the car or if it's a kit without security or somehow they get in without triggering it, depressing the brake pedal will shut down the car (unless you insert the key in the ignition). I'm still trying to figure out a way to simulate a key in the ignition on my smart start key.
Dustin2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dustin2JZ For This Useful Post:
Frost (12-19-2013), Sportsguy83 (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 AM   #31
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
I never thought of getting remote start for a manual, even though I know most of them are safe now.. I always park with my gear in first, hill or not.. It's a good habit and I just cannot trust a malfunction to cause issues. Had it in my old automatic and it was convenient but the convenience and cool factor of it faded fairly quickly.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #32
Dustin2JZ
StatusLow

Drives: 2013 10 Series FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
I never thought of getting remote start for a manual, even though I know most of them are safe now.. I always park with my gear in first, hill or not.. It's a good habit and I just cannot trust a malfunction to cause issues. Had it in my old automatic and it was convenient but the convenience and cool factor of it faded fairly quickly.
If you live in a really hilly place. It's definately best to park in gear which makes remote start a bad choice.

Nothing's for everyone.
Dustin2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #33
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin2JZ View Post
If you live in a really hilly place. It's definately best to park in gear which makes remote start a bad choice.

Nothing's for everyone.

Food and water is for everyone.....
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #34
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I heard a rumor that there's a neutral sensing wire available from the Aisin 6MT gearbox in the twins. Dustin2JZ, have you looked into that?
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #35
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I know this thread has been dead a for a couple weeks
No, not weeks but more than a year!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #36
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:

Nothing's for everyone.
Yup, I make it a habit though so I don't forget when I do park on a hill. It doesn't hurt to always have it in gear parked, hills or not so remote start isn't for me. After having it for 2-3 years, I don't care too much about it either.. I loved the 2 way alarm though.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #37
MaXimus
Meh!

Drives: Satin White, 86, Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39313 - Has remote start functionality .
MaXimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #38
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Not everybody has grown up in harsh condition and know what it takes to adjust. They have no idea what "0 degrees F" is. "Cold" is, at least Southern California any thing below 60 degrees F.
Not really related but this reminds me of what football coach Bo Schembeckler of the University of Michigan said: " I don't want any fat-asses".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUB View Post
Just curious how cold can it be on mornings in SoCal?

Here in Canada in can go down to 0 degrees F (-30 Celcius) so I could see the point of having a remote starter but in SoCal ?
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #39
ucsmfu

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
update for the BRZ is out now, it works with the push start.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #40
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
update for the BRZ is out now, it works with the push start.
Update for which remote start system?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #41
ucsmfu

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Update for which remote start system?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Both viper and compustar drone mobile
Old 08-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #42
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
A while back someone posted up some options that the dealer has through the Subaru computer that the service department can access.. I can't seem to find it now, and I don't remember what forum it was on. But along with having the ability to change what touching the door does (either unlock the driver door, or driver AND passenger door) as well as how long the headlights stay on after you turn the car off, and many more options there was an option for remote start... Not sure if it was automatic only. If it's also for manual I would assume that there's a safety where it completely won't work if the car is in gear.. Worth asking a technician about tho!

-- This is what I was referring to in case anyone is ever curious. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2421351, which is similar to TIS Techstream..

Last edited by fika84; 09-29-2014 at 11:21 AM.
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote