follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2023, 04:16 PM   #29
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
i dont think people actually recognize a taco as a back-to-the-future car....the delorean took all that luster.

Its like Fast And Furious (before they went all superhero) is basically Dom's Charger, the Supra, and Brians GTR. No one cares about the other cars.

but damn near everyone knows that initial D is part of the 86 heritage
maybe for those that were into the car, but for anyone that liked trucks, that truck was all that mattered. my interest in the delorean peaked at the point that it looked fast, but had a v6 for a drivetrain.

but why/where did people learn of the 86 heritage?

i never knew of intial d or wangan midnight until well after i had decided to purchase the car and started looking into it further. at that point, manga's/anime were the same thing, and were only for the cheeto-covered comic book lurkers.

but without even searching, i can tell you about marty mcfly's obsession was with a 1985 black sr5 xtracab that was a single year option with the old-style solid front axle, but the new style body. that set of roll bars has sent me down rabbit holes that i'm almost too ashamed to even admit to...
https://silodrome.com/back-to-the-future-toyota-hilux/

toyota even did a promo 2016 tacoma re-make. it was a 1-off-wonder though. they never sold parts for it, and most was custom-fabbed
https://www.motortrend.com/news/back...-back-to-1985/

i've tried finding a source for the light bar-- it doesn't exist anywhere, i've got ideas to build my own. it's the only reason i've priced out hydraulic tubing benders.
Old 06-25-2023, 11:58 PM   #30
drivejumpfly

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by removedonut View Post
What is the problem with the brakes exactly?
The reviewers have stated the car would benefit from a brake fluid type change at least for track duty
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:26 AM   #31
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
The reviewers have stated the car would benefit from a brake fluid type change at least for track duty
Basically all cars need a fluid with a higher boiling point for track days and better pads. This has been well known for decades.

So that's not any deficiency of the stock brakes.

I'd bet the "Performance Pack" cars with Brembo's are using the exact same fluid as the non-Brembo cars.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:28 PM   #32
removedonut

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Nothing, especially for a street car.

Just fine on a track with a pad/fluid swap.
Precisely my thoughts - it always confuses me how people jump straight over modifying any other part of the braking system and right to blowing money on a BBK just because they don’t like the feel of the stock brake pads.
And I say this as somebody who blew money on a BBK. And then put akebono ceramics on them just like the stock pads lol.
removedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 12:50 PM   #33
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by removedonut View Post
Precisely my thoughts - it always confuses me how people jump straight over modifying any other part of the braking system and right to blowing money on a BBK just because they don’t like the feel of the stock brake pads.
And I say this as somebody who blew money on a BBK. And then put akebono ceramics on them just like the stock pads lol.
It's like a lot of modifications.

"I want to do X"
"Ok, why do you want to do X? What behavior are you trying to correct?"

*crickets*

Hell, I want to do a BBK just because it would look awesome behind my wheels and I have no intention of tracking mine.
fredzy (06-26-2023), soundman98 (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #34
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Want my wheels more horizontal to the local grav gradient and make the car hover.

Simples, right?
Old 06-26-2023, 07:22 PM   #35
wangson

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Trueno Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fixed:

wangson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wangson For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-29-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 11:43 AM   #36
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
The Brembos are red. That's about it.

The stock brakes will engage the ABS, which means they're more than capable of applying the maximum braking force the tires can grip under. If you want to stop better/faster, you need grippier tires, not bigger brakes.

As others have said, the conditions matter more than anything else - on a track you're going to heat your brakes to the point where you start to boil the stock brake fluid. THAT is going to immediately tank your braking ability just like if you didn't bleed the lines and left air in there. So that's why "better" brake fluid is basically required for track days (it has a higher boiling point at the cost of being more hydroscopic, meaning it'll yank water out of the air faster and go bad sooner. It's also more expensive.) Pads for the same overall reason - stock pads are built for road use: low noise, low dust. But at high temps they wear faster to the point that on a track you'll burn them up super fast - like the first day probably.

I mean, the Brembos do look cool with the white lettering on the red, but there is a LOT you can do to make the brakes "better" for a tenth the cost, then get some high-temp red paint and make the stock calipers pretty.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 11:49 AM   #37
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
More details...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...package-drive/

According to this article, the brake upgrade is more than the calipers... larger rotors and pads are part of it too. As the linked article states: not a huge difference in bite... and a fluid change is recommended. I imagine the larger rotors, coupled with good fluid and pads will make this a nice upgrade for the occasional HPDE user.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
Sport-Tech (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 11:54 AM   #38
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
As others have said, the conditions matter more than anything else - on a track you're going to heat your brakes to the point where you start to boil the stock brake fluid. THAT is going to immediately tank your braking ability just like if you didn't bleed the lines and left air in there. So that's why "better" brake fluid is basically required for track days (it has a higher boiling point at the cost of being more hydroscopic, meaning it'll yank water out of the air faster and go bad sooner. It's also more expensive.)
I've never had any issues running off-the-shelf parts store DOT4 or DOT5.1. In fact the few times I've wound up using "special" racing brake fluid it has disappointed me, just doesn't last as long. IMO more expensive and harder to get specialized brake fluid is not required for most of us.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:08 PM   #39
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I've never had any issues running off-the-shelf parts store DOT4 or DOT5.1. In fact the few times I've wound up using "special" racing brake fluid it has disappointed me, just doesn't last as long. IMO more expensive and harder to get specialized brake fluid is not required for most of us.
That's what I'm talking about. Higher DOT ratings have higher boiling points and are more hydroscopic. DOT3 is "standard" because it has the Goldilocks zone of longevity and reasonable heat tolerance.

It's just not tough enough for track use.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:10 PM   #40
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
The Brembos are red. That's about it.

The stock brakes will engage the ABS, which means they're more than capable of applying the maximum braking force the tires can grip under. If you want to stop better/faster, you need grippier tires, not bigger brakes.

As others have said, the conditions matter more than anything else - on a track you're going to heat your brakes to the point where you start to boil the stock brake fluid. THAT is going to immediately tank your braking ability just like if you didn't bleed the lines and left air in there. So that's why "better" brake fluid is basically required for track days (it has a higher boiling point at the cost of being more hydroscopic, meaning it'll yank water out of the air faster and go bad sooner. It's also more expensive.) Pads for the same overall reason - stock pads are built for road use: low noise, low dust. But at high temps they wear faster to the point that on a track you'll burn them up super fast - like the first day probably.

I mean, the Brembos do look cool with the white lettering on the red, but there is a LOT you can do to make the brakes "better" for a tenth the cost, then get some high-temp red paint and make the stock calipers pretty.
I don't even bother trying to explain anymore that tires stop cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...package-drive/

According to this article, the brake upgrade is more than the calipers... larger rotors and pads are part of it too. As the linked article states: not a huge difference in bite... and a fluid change is recommended. I imagine the larger rotors, coupled with good fluid and pads will make this a nice upgrade for the occasional HPDE user.
The article said the pad surface increases (no joke it's a larger caliper and rotor) but doesn't say anything about compound, it's still going to be a street compound. For what the performance pack costs, assuming if you're actually tracking and not just hard parking, you're going to be changing the suspension anyway.

Then I'll the AP Sprint kit which is a better setup for tracking than the OEM Brembo setup..........and it knocks 20lbs off the nose of the car.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:42 PM   #41
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
I've never understood the obsession with the SACHS dampers and "Brembo" brakes. High level Brembo brakes are $4k+ just on their own just for the front.

Add-in what I'm sure are going to be ridiculous markups. Dealers will be trying to sell these well north of $40k.
For $1200, the 1st gen PP had larger brakes, better dampers and wider wheels. While someone could go through the trouble of trying to sell their stock components after buying aftermarket components, at $1200, this was a good factory package for the price. Even if someone planned to upgrade all of these components to better brakes, coilovers and custom wheels, it was far easier to sell these upgraded components on the used market to zenki owners than trying to sell base components, so it made financial sense to buy these components either way, if not for performance, for resale value too.

Quote:
An $1195 option available only for the $28,465 Limited trim with the six-speed manual transmission, the Performance package effectively results in a car costing $3345 more than the base BRZ Premium. And forget about it if you eschew clutch pedals. The hardware includes larger 12.8-inch front and 12.4-inch rear brake rotors (up from 11.6 and 11.4) clamped by Brembo four-piston front and dual-piston rear calipers, along with Sachs dampers and 17-inch wheels that are 7.5 inches wide rather than the standard 7.0 inches (1).
soundman98 (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #42
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
For what the performance pack costs, assuming if you're actually tracking and not just hard parking, you're going to be changing the suspension anyway.
I guess I'll just keep hard parking!

Just upgraded tires, fluids, pads, and -2 degrees are all I want/need/use.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote