follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #435
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hi.
I have a current generation lollipop joying unit which I have talked about here a bit.
I love it.

To weigh in on the mic, I DO in fact use the inbuilt mic and I come through very clear. To be honest I was hoping this would not be the case as I wanted an excuse to not have my phone answerable while driving.

I do however have an issue that I wonder if anyone else is experiencing.

Sometimes, randomly, my screen will start behaving as if I was controlling it.
For example, I can be listening to the radio, then all of a sudden it will stay skipping through the stations, before exiting to the home screen, opening apps, even to opening the menu then the apps store and getting to install random apps.
It can be fixed by turning the power off and back on normally. It might not happen for days, then suddenly does it everytime you drive.

Has anyone experienced ghosts in their system?
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #436
steve87j

Drives: Scion FR-S RAVEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
I'm getting ready to attempt this. The desired end result is an Android head unit with a backup camera while retaining the OEM inputs, so I'm looking at:

Head unit: Joying JY-TL123
(going with this one because of the CD/DVD drive...yeah, I'm old)

Harness to retain OEM USB port: Axxess AX-TOYUSB

Harness to retain OEM AUX port: Axxess AX-TOY28SWC

Antenna adapter: Metra 40-LX11

OBD2 splitter so the HU and ScanGauge can be connected at the same time: Obd2 Splitter Extension Cable Male to Dual Female Y
(this is the third car I've had my ScanGauge in and I'm used to it being there...don't want to get rid of it)

OBD2 to HU via USB: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB
(I always go with a wired option over wireless when viable, so for me this is preferable over bluetooth)

Backup camera: Esky EC170-06

After reading many many posts I'm pretty sure this is all of the correct stuff, but I just want to make sure before ordering all of it...if any of this is wrong or not needed please let me know!

If things work out in the usual way I'll get 1/3 to 1/2 way through then say "ugh fuck this" and wind up taking it somewhere to be finished
how did this project turn out? im thinking of doing the same thing.
steve87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #437
BRZyJ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve87j View Post
how did this project turn out? im thinking of doing the same thing.
So far so good...still working on the backup camera and I decided to add a powered sub. Gonna try and run the wires today before any rain comes ><

I caught some luck and was able to pick one up used with the harnesses included and re-pinning already done. As usual I'm doing the bulk of my research after the fact...there's several hours worth of reading over at the XDA forums regarding MTCB vs. MTCD units, various ROMS, xposed modules, and on and on. After a lot of reading, some trial and error and a couple of flashes I'm pretty happy with it.

The only drawback is that it is definitely not fast. Once it fully boots up (~30-45 seconds or so in my case) it's pretty good, but if your just shooting down to the corner store I wouldn't even bother turning it on. You can adjust the time until it fully shuts down (I'm using 5 minutes), so if your pumping gas or whatever it will come back up right away. I'd only install what you use regularly on it...I had a bunch of crap like Netflix and DirecTV which is amusing but doesn't help performance wise, lol. Being able to use google maps for navigation is pretty sweet, either download offline areas or tether it to your phone.

What I wound up with is an 800x480 RK3188 MTCB unit and I settled on Malaysk's Sept. 12th 5.1.1 ROM...looks like he has an update coming soon though. I found this to be a good starting point with a bunch of useful links, though some appears to be dated:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

In the end, it's a bit slow and has some quirks but that is completely outweighed by everything you can do with it...well worth it, IMO. Supposedly models with 2GB of RAM and 8 core processors aren't far off and that should do a lot to address the slow boot/speed issues.

*edit: forgot to mention, the radio reception is pretty dismal...not really a big deal to me, but I'm going to double check the antenna connection when I get the camera/sub wires back there...

Pretty bad lighting for pics, but:
Attached Images

BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZyJ For This Useful Post:
steve87j (10-18-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #438
shadoken

Drives: FRS RS 1.0
Does Google maps run suuuuper slow for anyone else?

It runs fairly decently if i remove updates. But then i cant store offline maps
shadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #439
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoken View Post
Does Google maps run suuuuper slow for anyone else?

It runs fairly decently if i remove updates. But then i cant store offline maps
The current version runs well for me, as long as I only have a few apps in the background (poweramp and obdlink). It stutters for the first few minutes after booting cold. As long as I let it load all the Android background crap for a few minutes first it runs pretty smoothly.

-Josh
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #440
steve87j

Quote:
So far so good...still working on the backup camera and I decided to add a powered sub. Gonna try and run the wires today before any rain comes ><
I think it looks awesome. Is this the same model as you?

RK PX3 1.6GHz Cortex A9 Quad Core, Resolution 800*480, Support 1080P
joying: SKU: JY-TL123

I really want it for GPS / and hands free everything else is just extra. anything else i need to buy for a smooth install?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #441
shadoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
The current version runs well for me, as long as I only have a few apps in the background (poweramp and obdlink). It stutters for the first few minutes after booting cold. As long as I let it load all the Android background crap for a few minutes first it runs pretty smoothly.

-Josh
I use the default media player since I thought Poweramp would use up more resources.

Btw I cant get the FF and Rew buttons on the right to work with poweramp , only the default player. Anyway to fix that?

Quote:
S

Pretty bad lighting for pics, but:
How is that Car Launcher ? Is it faster/slower than the default launcher that comes with the System?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #442
BRZyJ

Garage
Quote:
I think it looks awesome. Is this the same model as you?

RK PX3 1.6GHz Cortex A9 Quad Core, Resolution 800*480, Support 1080P
joying: SKU: JY-TL123

I really want it for GPS / and hands free everything else is just extra. anything else i need to buy for a smooth install?
Mine is actually a JY-TN123

They look identical and the specs are the same, but mine shipped with 4.4.4 and the JY-TL123 has 5.1.1

Now, this is where it gets confusing. From my understanding 4.4.4 KitKat models are MTCB units which can be flashed back and forth between 4.4.4 and 5.1.1 ROMS (the sellers claim this will brick your unit but I've done it several times, not with Joying firmware, but with Malaysk, booroondook and DSA...I tried them all lol). A few days ago I flashed Malaysk's latest 4.4.4 and it is considerably faster than the booroondook 5.1.1 I had been running.

The 5.1.1 Lollipop models are MTCD units, which due to some sort of hardware issue can not run 4.4.4.

Given that, you may want to consider the JY-TN123...it's $80 less (at least direct from Joying) and you'll have the flexibility to flash both 4.4.4 and 5.1.1 ROMs.

The unit itself and the harnesses should be all you need...maybe an antenna amplifier if your radio reception is as bad as mine...I still need to pull it back out and double check my connection. Also, on bluetooth calls I only get sound through the right (music works fine)...it's a known issue on some of these. There are some bluetooth mods on XDA I think but I haven't tried any of them as I'm rarely on the phone in my car. The dash trim at the radios lower right doesn't sit perfectly flush, but only OCD people like myself would notice. I'll mess with it later.

All of the reading, flashing, configuration tweaking, etc. is a definite time sink, but worth it in the end. I modified the MTCscreenClock/screensaver thing to match the car
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #443
BRZyJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
Sometimes, randomly, my screen will start behaving as if I was controlling it.
For example, I can be listening to the radio, then all of a sudden it will stay skipping through the stations, before exiting to the home screen, opening apps, even to opening the menu then the apps store and getting to install random apps.
It can be fixed by turning the power off and back on normally. It might not happen for days, then suddenly does it everytime you drive.
Sounds similar to this?:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/p...nted/74205716/

if so, not sure if thats a replaceable part in these things...

*edit: guess it is, here's a DIY if that is indeed the problem:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3246421

Last edited by BRZyJ; 10-18-2016 at 05:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZyJ For This Useful Post:
Karl07 (10-21-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #444
steve87j

Quote:

All of the reading, flashing, configuration tweaking, etc. is a definite time sink, but worth it in the end. I modified the MTCscreenClock/screensaver thing to match the car
is all that required? Out of box is it missing any features? I just want GPS and hands free to work the rest is just cosmetic for me i think?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #445
BRZyJ

Garage
Quote:
is all that required? Out of box is it missing any features? I just want GPS and hands free to work the rest is just cosmetic for me i think?
You'll probably find little things you want to change as you use it, but yeah, out of the box you'll be good. I can't remember what it comes with for navigation (iGO?) but you can always use google maps w/ offline areas or Waze or whatever if you tether it to your phone or have a 3G dongle.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #446
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I use the default media player since I thought Poweramp would use up more resources.

Btw I cant get the FF and Rew buttons on the right to work with poweramp , only the default player. Anyway to fix that?

How is that Car Launcher ? Is it faster/slower than the default launcher that comes with the System?
No the buttons only work with the stock player.

Disabling the Google app and other app you don't use helps with how the unit runs too.

-Josh
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #447
shadoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
No the buttons only work with the stock player.

Disabling the Google app and other app you don't use helps with how the unit runs too.

-Josh
Oh wow didnt know you could disable google app too , i thought it was needed for running. So i cant get rid of that and playstore running right?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #448
BRZyJ

Garage
Quote:

If you're willing to root your unit or flash a rooted ROM there are xposed modules that enable the control of poweramp and jet audio, or to re-map the head unit buttons entirely. I've had varying luck with them...only using mtc-keys at the moment (to re-map the 'mute' button to 'home' and the 'DVD' button to the music player).

Quote:
Seems about the same...I like it 'cause it seems less cluttered. It's got another layout you can use that looks like this:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OeLPChLGC...BPro1-001.webp