follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #2269
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
I have an FR-S on eibach pro-plus kit (springs, and sway bars). One day I want coil-overs, but I have a kid in college, and t goes he second goes to college next year- so not in the budget now. My question regards steering feel. I put 17x9 on 245/40-17 tires on the car with the springs and swaybars at the same time. To me the steering is a little more vague, or soft feeling now. The car still handles miraculously, and even better. But, I would love to regain a little steering feel. Do the positive steering response bushings that add caster help with this once larger tires are introduced? I assume the larger tires are the cause. I have camber bolts for the front that the allignment shop didn't install because I had zero camber (I'm unhappy about that), and I am going to put SPC control arms on the back to reduce the -2.1 degrees I have back there. I want to get to around -1 front and rear if possible. Do you reccomend these camber settings for a DD/weekend ringer/occasional autocross car? Would some negative camber help with the soft/vague-ness of the steering? Should i do the positive steering response bushings such as those offered by Perrin and Whiteline. Please advise, and thanks for this thread!
The alignment alone will have a pretty big effect. Get as much as you can with the bolts up front...you'll still have well under -2 so don't worry about tire wear as long as toe is 0 or minimal. -1.5 would be nice if you can get it. For the rear, -1.5 or a little more would be good too. This is assuming you're running decent tires.

The bushings will definitely help too and we feel a big difference with front control arm bushings like the PSRS kit and the Whiteline ALK. The extra caster is nice as a bonus.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
twag4 (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #2270
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The alignment alone will have a pretty big effect. Get as much as you can with the bolts up front...you'll still have well under -2 so don't worry about tire wear as long as toe is 0 or minimal. -1.5 would be nice if you can get it. For the rear, -1.5 or a little more would be good too. This is assuming you're running decent tires.

The bushings will definitely help too and we feel a big difference with front control arm bushings like the PSRS kit and the Whiteline ALK. The extra caster is nice as a bonus.

- Andy
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the info!
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twag4 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 01:06 AM   #2271
YouShallKnow

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
After round 1 of the 86 cup, I'm re-thinking my suspension setup, mostly because of the point system.

Currently it's Swift Sport FRS Springs on Bilstein b6s.

I'm considering changing back to stock springs to regain some points. I have both stock FRS and BRZ springs lying around.

Here's what I'm considering, any input would be appreciated.

1. Ditching the Swift springs in favor of FR-S fronts and BRZ rears under the "stiffer is better" theory.

2. Switching to BRZ springs all around since they are considered neutral.

3. Keeping the swift springs and adding a bump steer kit to compensate for the lowered geometry.

What do you think?

Would you recommend the whiteline bump steer kit for non-lowered cars?

Finally, since I'm going to be under there, are there any other bushing or braces you'd suggest?
YouShallKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:00 PM   #2272
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShallKnow View Post
After round 1 of the 86 cup, I'm re-thinking my suspension setup, mostly because of the point system.

I'm considering changing back to stock springs to regain some points. I have both stock FRS and BRZ springs lying around.

1. Ditching the Swift springs in favor of FR-S fronts and BRZ rears under the "stiffer is better" theory.

3. Keeping the swift springs and adding a bump steer kit to compensate for the lowered geometry.

What do you think?

Finally, since I'm going to be under there, are there any other bushing or braces you'd suggest?
What's the rest of your set-up like? Alignment, tires, etc.

- Andy
YouShallKnow (02-03-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #2273
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankacura View Post
Oh great more than I expected!!
I'm running T2's dropped 1" with stock spring perches and can confirm you can get -2.6 in the fronts with the oem bolts.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:24 AM   #2274
frankacura

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great! Do you have the camber# on the rear with only your drop? Stock susp mine was +- -1.2
frankacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #2275
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Unimportant damper question.
Do dampers have a wear in period? That is, after a certain amount of time do they start working better than when they were first put on the car? This assumes that any difference can be felt.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #2276
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Do dampers have a wear in period? That is, after a certain amount of time do they start working better than when they were first put on the car? This assumes that any difference can be felt.
Yes..
Captain Snooze (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #2277
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankacura View Post
Great! Do you have the camber# on the rear with only your drop? Stock susp mine was +- -1.2
Using stock control arms my rear is -2.0 on driver side, -2.5 on passenger. My car was hit in the driver side quarter panel over a year ago and repaired, so you may not experience the same numbers.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #2278
scirocco78

Drives: Scion FRS
I have a couple of questions.
Do you guys have any real information on what was changed in the suspension for the 2015 FRS?
Do you have any information on the bump stop spring rates? Any differences between the FRS and BRZ? How about 2015 FRS versus the early years?

Can you tell I'm a stock class auto-xer
scirocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #2279
YouShallKnow

Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
Quote:
What's the rest of your set-up like? Alignment, tires, etc.

- Andy
I have stock wheels with 225 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, camber bolts with maximum camber -1.75 up front, with -2.25/-2.75 in the rear from my 1" drop. Everything else is stock (no camber plates or LCAs or anything).

Original question is below for your convenience.

Quote:

What do you think?

YouShallKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #2280
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
They absolutely do. I put on Bilsteins last year and the first time out at autox the car had very little body roll (extremely stiff) and I put down absolutely god-awful times (last place in STX). The next one was about a month later, in which time they had really softened up and I took STX by a decent margin against the same group of drivers. The dampers had been so stiff the first time that I couldn't put much load on them before they just broke the tires loose.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to was385 For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (02-03-2015), Racecomp Engineering (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #2281
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShallKnow View Post
I have stock wheels with 225 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, camber bolts with maximum camber -1.75 up front, with -2.25/-2.75 in the rear from my 1" drop. Everything else is stock (no camber plates or LCAs or anything).

Original question is below for your convenience.
IMO the Swift FRS springs aren't the greatest for handling.

Since you have both sets of OEM springs, I think you might be better served with stock BRZ front and stock FRS rear and save the points.

- Andy
YouShallKnow (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #2282
YouShallKnow

Quote:
IMO the Swift FRS springs aren't the greatest for handling.

Since you have both sets of OEM springs, I think you might be better served with stock BRZ front and stock FRS rear and save the points.

- Andy
I think so too, thanks for the confirmation. What do you think about the bump steer kit with that setup? Is it still beneficial with stock ride height?