follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #365
Bluefire98

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iag48st View Post
How many of you have done the spark plugs at around 100k? I’m at 75k and not sure if the previous owner did it. It’s a certified pre owned car that I bought with 63k miles and dealership looked through the maintenance to see if the plugs were done but There’s no record of spark plugs being changed.
I did mine just over 60k since I may sell the car within a year. Seems like most people get away with waiting till 100k but I'd just rather be on top of things. It's probably perfectly safe to push it farther. Btw don't even bother trying to replace them without lifting the engine. Bite the bullet and take off header and unbolt the 2 motor mounts. Jack up each side with a block of wood between the jack and the block. It's not that bad of a job really. Just bad relative to any other plug change on an inline 4.
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #366
RJG_FRS_612

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
That’s awesome and congrats on getting the Hakone edition! That green paint and bronze wheels look so good on the 86. They also knocked it out of the park with the interior! Do you miss your FRS at all? I haven’t driven a 2019 or 2020 but I’ve seen a lot of reviews that say it feels like a more refined car, but still with all the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im not sure yet, I'm still waiting for it to be ready at the dealer. Hopefully tomorrow, getting antsy lol.
RJG_FRS_612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJG_FRS_612 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #367
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG_FRS_612 View Post
Im not sure yet, I'm still waiting for it to be ready at the dealer. Hopefully tomorrow, getting antsy lol.

The wait must be really tough!! I’m stoked for you! Post up a comparison after you get some seat time in the new one.
The longer we go without hearing anything about the 2nd gen twins, the more I want to buy a new 1st gen. But I don’t want to give up my FRS yet. Lol I really like the looks of the Zenki, but they made so many little improvements with the Kouki.

JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #368
RJG_FRS_612

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
The wait must be really tough!! I’m stoked for you! Post up a comparison after you get some seat time in the new one.
The longer we go without hearing anything about the 2nd gen twins, the more I want to buy a new 1st gen. But I don’t want to give up my FRS yet. Lol I really like the looks of the Zenki, but they made so many little improvements with the Kouki.

I've spent about a week with the new one and can agree with the others it feels like a more refined car. I think Toyota really stepped up the build quality once Scion was nixed. The interior looks/feels much nicer regardless of a mostly identical aesthetic design. The added tech is a nice touch as well, albeit rather limited compared to other 2020 cars that are available. Not sure why they put the back up camera in the rear view mirror when theres a much larger screen on the dash. The most noticeable difference is the gear ratio change as well as the tiny hp increase. It did not get rid of the infamous torque dip completely, but it feels greatly reduced at lower RPMs. The car feels a bit tighter, but I got this optioned with TRD sway bars and springs. My only gripe are the stock tires...I had Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on my FR-S and they have a much stiffer sidewall and felt more grippy. Tires will probably be my only mod once the stock ones are done.
RJG_FRS_612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #369
gonsalves12

Drives: 2013 FRS
2013 with 131k mi when I sold it. My VIN wasn't affected by the valve spring recall per my local toyota dealer. Everything was working fine mechanically. Most of my miles were highway miles comuuting to work daily. I would change engine oil every 7.5k mi. Change trans/differential oil ~ every 30k mi. I would change the spark plugs every 60k mi.
gonsalves12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gonsalves12 For This Useful Post:
phm14 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #370
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Garage
Quote:
I've spent about a week with the new one and can agree with the others it feels like a more refined car. I think Toyota really stepped up the build quality once Scion was nixed. The interior looks/feels much nicer regardless of a mostly identical aesthetic design. The added tech is a nice touch as well, albeit rather limited compared to other 2020 cars that are available. Not sure why they put the back up camera in the rear view mirror when theres a much larger screen on the dash. The most noticeable difference is the gear ratio change as well as the tiny hp increase. It did not get rid of the infamous torque dip completely, but it feels greatly reduced at lower RPMs. The car feels a bit tighter, but I got this optioned with TRD sway bars and springs. My only gripe are the stock tires...I had Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on my FR-S and they have a much stiffer sidewall and felt more grippy. Tires will probably be my only mod once the stock ones are done.
I made a similar transition, with similar satisfaction. I used to run star specs on my track MX5-great tire. I'm loving the PS4s, on a slightly wider wheel, on my Bilstein equipped Hakone. Looking forward to a track day, once things cool down a little down here.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #371
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
How much of that feeling on the more refined feeling could be chalked up to it just being a new car vs one with age and miles on it do you think?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #372
FR-S_or_SS

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2016 Camaro SS
Sitting at 113,8xx mi AT, haven’t done the the valve spring recall.
Took her to Pure Automotive

Looks like I need to replace both valve cover gaskets and re-seal front timing cover gaskets...
FR-S_or_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #373
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mine is a bit over 137,000 now, should be more like 150 but CV19 has put a real damper on my travel schedule this year.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #374
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Don't think that coming from Scion had anything to do with it. The 86s everywhere else were all built the same as the FRS. The only real difference was we got some of the niceties that Scion did not offer as far as the interior goes and even that isn't greatly changed in the base models. All the other changes would have happened even if they didn't rebadge it so it is more of a timing coincidence than an upgrade to better quality because it caught up to the rest of the world and became a Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
How much of that feeling on the more refined feeling could be chalked up to it just being a new car vs one with age and miles on it do you think?
There is a marked improvement in many things. I 100% agree with his thoughts on the final drive change. It most certainly adds a bit of pep on take off. It isn't huge and I don't think the 5hp increase has any affect at all but the drive does. It however comes at the cost of a bit worse highway mileage when cruising in 6th but it is a fair trade off.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #375
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

There is a marked improvement in many things. I 100% agree with his thoughts on the final drive change. It most certainly adds a bit of pep on take off. It isn't huge and I don't think the 5hp increase has any affect at all but the drive does. It however comes at the cost of a bit worse highway mileage when cruising in 6th but it is a fair trade off.
Oh, yeah. I am definitely with everyone on the final drive. I test drove one last year just to see and it is night and day comparing stock to stock. I really think the new final drive with e85 and basic bolt-ons would be perfect basically. I want to swap it in eventually, especially since in AT trim it shouldn't hurt my MPG too much lol

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #376
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Oh, yeah. I am definitely with everyone on the final drive. I test drove one last year just to see and it is night and day comparing stock to stock. I really think the new final drive with e85 and basic bolt-ons would be perfect basically. I want to swap it in eventually, especially since in AT trim it shouldn't hurt my MPG too much lol
Well the impact is a whopping 2mpg so not even really worth mentioning. I only noticed because my driving pattern is so regular that I was on a solid 32MPG for 6 years and now am perfectly pegged at 30.

As far as the rest goes both RJG and I have Hakone's so to say the interior is nicer than the FRS is like comparing apples to cucumbers.
finch1750 (08-11-2020), mazeroni (01-24-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #377
NtSoDirtySanchz

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ
2013 MT CBS BRZ - Bought used in 2016 at 22k miles, currently at 141k miles. Had a couple 1300 mile road trips when moving for my internship/job. Kept up with normal fluid changes. Avoiding the recall like the plague
  • TOB gave up around 70k. Got the dealership to get it fixed along with a new clutch/flywheel and a few other maintenance items that needed addressing at the time
  • Got rear ended taking off from a green light in 2018. 3 cars involved, the one behind me got the worst of it. I needed a new trunk and rear bumper.
  • Had to snap several wheel studs off during a tire rotation because they seized (never had that happen on any cars I've worked on)
  • Rotors and pads will be replaced soon. Looked really good at 130k with maybe 40% left on the pads. (lots of open road driving where I live in KY)
  • Driver side door actuator gave out about a year ago. Will replace that whenever I'm bored.
Car has been good to me and plan to drive it for a while. Shooting for at least 250k
NtSoDirtySanchz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NtSoDirtySanchz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-15-2021), FRSapex (01-24-2021), joro2 (01-15-2021), mazeroni (01-24-2021), Teseo (01-26-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 12:58 AM   #378
MattKane7980

Drives: 2013 FRS
2013 MT FRS. Bought the car in 2019 at 55k. Currently at 105k. Never had the valve spring recall done. Went forced induction around 97k. Has been doing swimmingly running 10psi with the speed by design sbd500x kit. I've only had one issue, because it's a 2013 the coil packs tend to die on forced induction applications. My cyl 3 coil pack was causing a misfire issue when at 6k during WOT. Replaced the coils packs and it's been running perfect ever since. I run the car fairly hard everytime I drive it. Motul 8100 5w30 every 4k miles. Let's hope this post doesn't jinx anything.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
MattKane7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattKane7980 For This Useful Post:
FRSapex (01-24-2021), kevaughan (10-16-2021), mazeroni (01-24-2021)