follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So how much is the Gen 2 performance worth for Gen 1 owners

So seeing all these good reviews for Gen2 makes me think about getting it. But the trade in value or even selling it private is likely in teens for value with 65k miles. That means easily 15k for a new one.

I love my Gen 1, 16 BRZ, it’s paid off and it’s my DD for a a 119 mile commute about 3 days a week. The more I think about I don’t think the power change is worth it, but I will test drive for sure when they are out.

Plus I would have to return to stock, keep what fits and sell what does not. Not the end of the world but not ideal.

I am sure plenty of others are thinking the same thing. Thoughts.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3458384

The interior is nicer in the new one, engine is better and rods seem stronger based on previous pics. Also does not seem as likely to have the same oil temperature issues as before. I wonder how many of my parts will be able to just bolt on?
Old 08-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I never had a problem with the torque dip. I've had 3 of the twins and also had a 2018 GTI and GR Supra. Obviously the BRZ is not as powerful but I never felt it was slow.

However, I am excited for the new lower peak torque because let's face it, it is going to be useful in daily driving and should feel better in spirited driving and on the track.

If I was in your position I would upgrade to the '22 because you have the '16 model which. You were able to wait out the mid-cycle refresh.

And if you're not in a rush and can wait another 3 years, you'd take a bigger hit on resale value but you'd get probably the last iteration of the gasoline and manual 2nd-gen twin. At this point it will have a few more improvements and tweaks as well as the performance package.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
zeroomega

Drives: Supra MKV, FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
For people who drive their 86s on tracks, the hp bump means a lot. The gen2 is more or less equivalent to a E85 with header tuned gen 1 and you don't have to worried about reliability issue came with tune and you don't have to look for gas stations that have E85 when you are at race track. The stiffer chassis will also benefit the handling as well. I will sell my gen1 frs for a gen2 once there is no mark up from dealers.
zeroomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hard to say.

for me specifically...no.
Mainly cuz i just got my 86 a few months ago.

I dont really experience all the drawbacks of the first gen to the degree of the complaints. The power is fine and it feels relatively beefy to me. Not turbocharged beefy like my X1 but i get a good sensation of pull. I think years of owning econoboxes helps with that perception. My last 2 cars had 137hp/125trq and 130hp/115trq. Those are noticeably gutless up hills compared to the FA20 even with the torque dip.

The interior changes....doesnt look all that drastic to me. I find it funny reviewers rave about the suede-like inserts sprinkled around the interior...they're located in the exact same spots as the first gen cars. (The 17+ 86 uses the same suede-like material, 13-16 twins used some lower grade leather/leatherette material, 17+ BRZ used a higher quality leather material) Maybe its cuz my car is the GT so the interior is a little bit more identically equipped with the 2nd gen car. Doesnt appear the material quality is all that different either.

Tech is obviously a big upgrade. The gauges though dont seem to display anything different in terms of information than what i have available. Aside from the full digial readout and the track mode look i get the same settings and functions as the 2nd gen car. (timer, dyno graphic, oil temp/pressure gauge, etc) maybe the only thing i dont have is individual tire pressure readings. Oh and assisted driving tech..yeah no. Would rather not have that and be a more better/careful driver with my eyes and brain.
Apple carplay/android auto? the 2020 gave me those with the new Head unit. And even though the sound system overall is...kind of bleh and subpar, its serviceable but...i didnt buy the car for the sound system.

Ultimately i dont think any of the changes are enough to justify a first gen to 2nd gen swap, at least not with a 17+ GT grade car. Just seems like for daily driving it isnt going to be all that much different, but if you do alot of hard driving and track driving it might be worth it.

and of course the torque dip pisses you off so much, then maybe just getting the more powerful engine is worth it by itself.

I think i would have gotten a 2nd gen though if i was a bit more patient and just waited it out but i didnt feel i needed to after test driving the first gen.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #6
SeanWilke

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you can go without your 86 for a bit, selling in this used market makes it worth it in my opinion.

I had a '13 FRS with 34k miles on it. It had an open recall on the motor for valve springs, and probably 60+ track and autox days. I just sold it for 21k.

Moving to a brand new car that's 9 years newer, performs better, doesn't have looming engine issues, and has a warranty, for not too much more just makes sense.

I actually did the math on two scenarios: keeping the FRS for another 5 years and then selling, or buying the gr86 and selling that in 5 years. I actually came out ahead in the gr86 scenario. Obviously that math includes guesstimations on what the value for either car will be, but I didn't even factor in possible engine repairs on the FRS.

Last edited by SeanWilke; 08-20-2021 at 08:17 PM.
SeanWilke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanWilke For This Useful Post:
Veloist (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #7
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWilke View Post
If you can go without your 86 for a bit, selling in this used market makes it worth it in my opinion.

I had a '13 FRS with 34k miles on it. It had an open recall on the motor for valve springs, and probably 60+ track and autox days. I just sold it for 21k.
That's insane. I also sold two of my cars during this market. Sold one (BRZ tS) back in March and they took it for the MSRP with 12,000 miles on it. At the same time I appraised my GR Supra and it wasn't good enough for me. Fast forward to last month I checked again and it was $7,000 higher than March. Done deal.

In 2017 I had a customer trade in a 2015 BRZ with 10,000 miles on it for $15,000.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
I’m looking at everything that is coming out at the moment, I look at this as an opportunity to get the last cool petrol powered cars to keep for a long time. Next gen GR86/BRZ is on the list or I might even keep my current gen car and get a turbo hot hatch/sedan as well. It’ll be a few years away for either though. My current car has 31k kms on it and over $5k of mods. Only the wheels can change over. So not worth it for me yet, but I’m very excited about the next gen and the feedback from the reviews.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-22-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,594 Times in 2,933 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Considering I'm pretty content with my BRZ with ACE headers and E85, I can wait. But I'd also like to see how much the aftermarket comes up with and how the NA FA24 performs outside press releases. However if I get a new vehicle, and considering I've had 2 twins now, I think I'd just move onto something else (my fingers crossed for a GR Corolla).

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #10
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'll seriously consider one end of next year; My FR-S turns 10 October 2022.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:48 PM   #11
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Garage
I think there would be a lot of drivers, perhaps not forum regulars, that would be attracted to this upgrade.

Its a pretty good upgrade, particularly for stock owners.

For modded owners, I mean I still think they will want it, BUT I mean there are so many benefits of just waiting that little bit longer for them.

More certainty around parts and tunes, limited editions will come out, the used car market will hopefully also provide some cars.

The only problem with the used mark is that the closer and closer we get to electrification I think cars start releasing and then not really going down in price with these types of cars.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:51 PM   #12
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Hard to say.

for me specifically...no.
Mainly cuz i just got my 86 a few months ago.

I dont really experience all the drawbacks of the first gen to the degree of the complaints. The power is fine and it feels relatively beefy to me. Not turbocharged beefy like my X1 but i get a good sensation of pull. I think years of owning econoboxes helps with that perception. My last 2 cars had 137hp/125trq and 130hp/115trq. Those are noticeably gutless up hills compared to the FA20 even with the torque dip.

The interior changes....doesnt look all that drastic to me. I find it funny reviewers rave about the suede-like inserts sprinkled around the interior...they're located in the exact same spots as the first gen cars. (The 17+ 86 uses the same suede-like material, 13-16 twins used some lower grade leather/leatherette material, 17+ BRZ used a higher quality leather material) Maybe its cuz my car is the GT so the interior is a little bit more identically equipped with the 2nd gen car. Doesnt appear the material quality is all that different either.

Tech is obviously a big upgrade. The gauges though dont seem to display anything different in terms of information than what i have available. Aside from the full digial readout and the track mode look i get the same settings and functions as the 2nd gen car. (timer, dyno graphic, oil temp/pressure gauge, etc) maybe the only thing i dont have is individual tire pressure readings. Oh and assisted driving tech..yeah no. Would rather not have that and be a more better/careful driver with my eyes and brain.
Apple carplay/android auto? the 2020 gave me those with the new Head unit. And even though the sound system overall is...kind of bleh and subpar, its serviceable but...i didnt buy the car for the sound system.

Ultimately i dont think any of the changes are enough to justify a first gen to 2nd gen swap, at least not with a 17+ GT grade car. Just seems like for daily driving it isnt going to be all that much different, but if you do alot of hard driving and track driving it might be worth it.

and of course the torque dip pisses you off so much, then maybe just getting the more powerful engine is worth it by itself.

I think i would have gotten a 2nd gen though if i was a bit more patient and just waited it out but i didnt feel i needed to after test driving the first gen.
Upgrade to the final gr86 edition when they are on the way out
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
g e (08-21-2021), saltywetman (08-28-2021), Sasquachulator (08-20-2021), timurrrr (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 11:15 PM   #13
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
That’s probably what I’ll end up doing, provided the test drive lives up to the hype.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-21-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #14
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
I dont think i'll do it but that sounds like the right way to go
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-21-2021), Dadhawk (08-22-2021)