follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Blowing a main battery fuse

Please excuse for my lack of knowledge on car electronics but I hope to get some help from those who know this.

I recently left my car at a reputable shop to have my horns changed to PIAA ones, get both front and rear bumper repainted, and steering wheel reupholstered.

After 7 days, I get a call to delay pickup by a day because they said the car wouldn't start today (day 6), and they checked the battery is OK, but found out the Main Battery Fuse is out and that they need to order a new one.

I question the installation of the horn and they answered that putting the horn on should not have been an issue since it was the first thing they did in day 1, and the car started/ran properly after as they moved it in and out of the paint area between days.

So dumbfounded, i just did some online reading and what i read was that for a main battery fuse to blow, it would likely be an error around installing the connections around the battery / terminals / alternator - which is something likely when doing the horn. Im just wondering that this shop has done this on many subies and since they arent giving me a clear answer, is it possible that they just made an error and is not admitting it, OR fuses like this can really blow out of coincidence?

I just told them not to replace the fuse just like that NOT until they try to find the source of the problem since the replacement may surely just blow, and i was assured theyll look into it but they didnt seem to share any idea where to start.

Im picking the car up in 2 days, but just wanted to drop by tomorrow to go have a look. What am i supposed to check on or ask them, and how can i help diagnose this problem?

Last edited by leevanf; 09-20-2019 at 01:13 PM.
leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Well that blows!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
spike021 (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Halo_2

Drives: 2014 MY15 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuses don't just blow there is a reason for it
Halo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Holy shit!
So you are telling me shop can't find a simple obvious faulty ground problem?

I would take it to another shop and never do business with those retards again. Please tell us the name of the shop so we can avoid it like a shit sandwich that they are.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
the problem with fuses is that you don't know you've fixed the problem until you replace the fuse.

and that assumes there as a problem in the first place. mistakes do happen.

fuses are there to protect stuff. replace the fuse, if it doesn't blow that means there was a mistake made, likely by a human or humanoid object. as i'm to understand the universe, humans are sometimes fault ridden, due to still being beta designs lacking over-the-air updates, with no current plans for a full official release.

stop worrying. replace the fuse.

there is no shop in the known universe that doesn't occasionally make mistakes. animals destroy things that make mistakes. we're better than animals, right?
leevanf (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:57 PM   #6
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the problem with fuses is that you don't know you've fixed the problem until you replace the fuse.

and that assumes there as a problem in the first place. mistakes do happen.

fuses are there to protect stuff. replace the fuse, if it doesn't blow that means there was a mistake made, likely by a human or humanoid object. as i'm to understand the universe, humans are sometimes fault ridden, due to still being beta designs lacking over-the-air updates, with no current plans for a full official release.

stop worrying. replace the fuse.

there is no shop in the known universe that doesn't occasionally make mistakes. animals destroy things that make mistakes. we're better than animals, right?

Thanks. What i dont appreciate however is that they want to charge me for the fuse, and dont have this mindset that “hey, the car was under our watch when it happened, so it was likely something we may have done electrically,” especially for something major like a blown battery fuse. (15usd).

All they said was “your fuse was out, it couldnt be the horn install because the car started fine after. We need to buy one from the dealer and delay pickup by a day” which gives me the impression its gonna die on me after i take it home or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote