follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda
 
PandaSPUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 1,432
Thanks: 776
Thanked 697 Times in 438 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Need tips on swapping the clutch start switch

This is the second time where the switch has been acting up now. This is the switch that tells the car your clutch is fully engaged and allows you to start ignition.

Pain in the ass. The first time, I tried to do it myself but couldnt really reach around down there since the space is so tight so I had the dealer do it under warranty. But now my warranty is over so I'm looking for some tips.

Has anyone done this themselves before? I searched around and didnt find much. Only found the last time i had this issue: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=109749&page=3

I'd like to avoid taking the whole pedal assembly out if possible. The mechanic at the dealership also told me he didnt have to, just made some wisecrack about having the right tools. I'm thinking I need a set of thin wrenches?
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #2
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,726
Thanks: 26,741
Thanked 29,492 Times in 15,563 Posts
Mentioned: 679 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
This is the second time where the switch has been acting up now. This is the switch that tells the car your clutch is fully engaged and allows you to start ignition.

Pain in the ass. The first time, I tried to do it myself but couldnt really reach around down there since the space is so tight so I had the dealer do it under warranty. But now my warranty is over so I'm looking for some tips.

Has anyone done this themselves before? I searched around and didnt find much. Only found the last time i had this issue: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=109749&page=3

I'd like to avoid taking the whole pedal assembly out if possible. The mechanic at the dealership also told me he didnt have to, just made some wisecrack about having the right tools. I'm thinking I need a set of thin wrenches?
According to some dude on the Interweb, this is how you do it:

The under dash panels by the clutch pedal are removed

The defective clutch switch is disconnected and removed from the clutch pedal support

The new clutch switch is installed and adjusted

The electrical connector is connected to the new switch and the panels are re-installed

The vehicle is started to check the clutch switch for proper operation


Sounds simple enough, unless:

* you're over 65

* you wear tri-focals

* you can't see in low light

* your back won't twist anymore

* it's over 90 degrees

Maybe @Ultramaroon can find you a diagram, so you will know what for and where you are looking.??

Good luck!


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-22-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #3
Ultramaroon
yay!
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 28,763
Thanks: 46,246
Thanked 31,578 Times in 16,647 Posts
Mentioned: 1038 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
That stupid switch was one of the first things I defeated. Jumpered it so I don't have to load up the thrust bearings whenever I start the engine.


Ha... I was all over your first thread. Unless you have a pushbutton start, just get rid of that POS switch.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-20-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:35 AM   #4
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda
 
PandaSPUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 1,432
Thanks: 776
Thanked 697 Times in 438 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
According to some dude on the Interweb, this is how you do it:

The under dash panels by the clutch pedal are removed

The defective clutch switch is disconnected and removed from the clutch pedal support

The new clutch switch is installed and adjusted

The electrical connector is connected to the new switch and the panels are re-installed

The vehicle is started to check the clutch switch for proper operation


Sounds simple enough, unless:

* you're over 65

* you wear tri-focals

* you can't see in low light

* your back won't twist anymore

* it's over 90 degrees

Maybe @Ultramaroon can find you a diagram, so you will know what for and where you are looking.??

Good luck!


humfrz
Blah thats the thing, i know where it is. Easy to find. Just hard to reach with a wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That stupid switch was one of the first things I defeated. Jumpered it so I don't have to load up the thrust bearings whenever I start the engine.


Ha... I was all over your first thread. Unless you have a pushbutton start, just get rid of that POS switch.
Yea went over that last time. My car is parked at a valet lot, and most lots in nyc are valet operated. Whats the risk if an idiot valet hits the button without clutch in and the switch is gone?
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-21-2018), Ultramaroon (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,835
Thanks: 59,180
Thanked 101,574 Times in 44,014 Posts
Mentioned: 2416 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Blah thats the thing, i know where it is. Easy to find. Just hard to reach with a wrench.



Yea went over that last time. My car is parked at a valet lot, and most lots in nyc are valet operated. Whats the risk if an idiot valet hits the button without clutch in and the switch is gone?
Not a matter of "if" but when it would happen. The switch has been so common for so long that I couldn't even fault somebody that didn't know it was disconnected from starting the car in gear. Fine if you are the only person that drives it or get to talk to anybody that will before hand but not a great idea if people that do not know may be in the driver's seat.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda
 
PandaSPUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 1,432
Thanks: 776
Thanked 697 Times in 438 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not a matter of "if" but when it would happen. The switch has been so common for so long that I couldn't even fault somebody that didn't know it was disconnected from starting the car in gear. Fine if you are the only person that drives it or get to talk to anybody that will before hand but not a great idea if people that do not know may be in the driver's seat.
Yea thats pretty much my thinking. I can always tell the guys at my primary garage about it so they're aware, but theres no way I can trust the random valets across NYC lol.

Anyway, found this page which has the best pictures of the pedal assembly I've seen so far: https://www.subieautoparts.com/produ...edal-assembly/

Looking at that, I think my main issue was trying to reach the nut closer to the switch body. Its at an angle and pretty much blocked by the rest of the bracket holding the cruise control clutch switch. Gonna try again, this time only going for the more exposed nut.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,835
Thanks: 59,180
Thanked 101,574 Times in 44,014 Posts
Mentioned: 2416 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Yea thats pretty much my thinking. I can always tell the guys at my primary garage about it so they're aware, but theres no way I can trust the random valets across NYC lol.

Anyway, found this page which has the best pictures of the pedal assembly I've seen so far: https://www.subieautoparts.com/produ...edal-assembly/

Looking at that, I think my main issue was trying to reach the nut closer to the switch body. Its at an angle and pretty much blocked by the rest of the bracket holding the cruise control clutch switch. Gonna try again, this time only going for the more exposed nut.
Not sure where you could find one (Dollar store, bike shop?) but maybe if you could get one of the flat stamped wrenches and give it a bit of a bend in the right place?


__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda
 
PandaSPUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 1,432
Thanks: 776
Thanked 697 Times in 438 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not sure where you could find one (Dollar store, bike shop?) but maybe if you could get one of the flat stamped wrenches and give it a bit of a bend in the right place?


Hm ill stop by my local hardware store later and see what they have. Also gonna see if they have a stubby adjustable wrench. Something around 6" long might be short enough to work in that space. I just need something to break the nut loose and then i can remove by hand.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,726
Thanks: 26,741
Thanked 29,492 Times in 15,563 Posts
Mentioned: 679 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Hm ill stop by my local hardware store later and see what they have. Also gonna see if they have a stubby adjustable wrench. Something around 6" long might be short enough to work in that space. I just need something to break the nut loose and then i can remove by hand.

Well, you might consider sacrificing a cheapo wrench by cutting it in half.


I remember, back-in-the-day, in order to adjust the side draft carbs on my 1970 MGB, I had to take an old wrench, cut it in half and heat it up with a torch (to pound it down a bit to make it a Whitworth size). Yep, I still have that wrench.


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
Tcoat
No I don't race or speed
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 66,835
Thanks: 59,180
Thanked 101,574 Times in 44,014 Posts
Mentioned: 2416 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, you might consider sacrificing a cheapo wrench by cutting it in half.


I remember, back-in-the-day, in order to adjust the side draft carbs on my 1970 MGB, I had to take an old wrench, cut it in half and heat it up with a torch (to pound it down a bit to make it a Whitworth size). Yep, I still have that wrench.


humfrz
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,726
Thanks: 26,741
Thanked 29,492 Times in 15,563 Posts
Mentioned: 679 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not a matter of "if" but when it would happen. The switch has been so common for so long that I couldn't even fault somebody that didn't know it was disconnected from starting the car in gear. Fine if you are the only person that drives it or get to talk to anybody that will before hand but not a great idea if people that do not know may be in the driver's seat.
Good point!

Ol @Ultramaroon can get away with it because, in order to get his big feet in the footwell of his car, he has to push the clutch in


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
yay!
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 28,763
Thanks: 46,246
Thanked 31,578 Times in 16,647 Posts
Mentioned: 1038 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Yea went over that last time. My car is parked at a valet lot, and most lots in nyc are valet operated. Whats the risk if an idiot valet hits the button without clutch in and the switch is gone?
Whoops! Yes yes... bad plan. NVM
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,726
Thanks: 26,741
Thanked 29,492 Times in 15,563 Posts
Mentioned: 679 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not a matter of "if" but when it would happen. The switch has been so common for so long that I couldn't even fault somebody that didn't know it was disconnected from starting the car in gear. Fine if you are the only person that drives it or get to talk to anybody that will before hand but not a great idea if people that do not know may be in the driver's seat.

Good thinking!

Reminds me of a time, waaaay back-in-the-day, I got to park my car (1948 Chev coupe) in the almost attached garage to our old farmhouse. Why? Because my parents car wouldn't fit, because it was too long.

Anyway, I was very proud of the perfect, complete, OEM grill on my old car.

One day, my mother asked to borrow my car. You see, I always parked my car in first gear. So, when she went to start it by pushing the starter on the floorboard, she hadn't pushed in the clutch in and since the garage had a shelf that stuck out, the grill got totaled. She felt bad, I felt worse....


humfrz
Attached Images
 
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
yay!
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 28,763
Thanks: 46,246
Thanked 31,578 Times in 16,647 Posts
Mentioned: 1038 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not a matter of "if" but when it would happen. The switch has been so common for so long that I couldn't even fault somebody that didn't know it was disconnected from starting the car in gear. Fine if you are the only person that drives it or get to talk to anybody that will before hand but not a great idea if people that do not know may be in the driver's seat.
I have a real dislike of the pushbutton start. Anything that forces the operator to commit to running industrial strength machinery with no way to abort should come with a big cover surrounded by safety tape.


It should at least make you push once for ignition and hold a second time so you can let go instinctively if something feels wrong.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Unichip, USB cable, 2 tune selector switch, Clutch switch BII302 Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 6 04-13-2015 07:06 PM
Clutch Switch Bypass OmarGC Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 20 01-01-2015 09:41 PM
Swapping out exhaust tips, bolts broke off!!!! Help! BBYZILA Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 7 12-19-2014 07:04 PM
Start Stop Switch - BRZ Limited whatsinaname BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 7 05-18-2014 09:30 PM
Push-button start clutch switch mike the snake Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 8 04-14-2014 11:31 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.