follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #71
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
...as for the trans, I like the fact that it is clunky when cold *gasp* it actually feels mechanical
You live in Mesa, AZ. What does "cold" mean to you?
Try driving in zero degree weather and still see if you like the way it shifts when cold.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #72
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
You live in Mesa, AZ. What does "cold" mean to you?
Try driving in zero degree weather and still see if you like the way it shifts when cold.
..you got me there, but nonetheless it is still clunky when it ain't at the proper temps
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:03 AM   #73
Zentec

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
If our transmission was in an Alfa it would be described as character. As it's in Japanese machine it's described as 'crap'. Poor car..
Just a little off. If it was in an Alfa t would be described as $12,000 character money buys character. If it was in a Land Rover it would be described as elite, if it was in a Jaguar it would be described as broke. If it was in ford it would be described as found on road dead. If it was in Kia it would be described as crap. In Japanese it would be described persise so persise that if your not persise your self you have trouble getting it in gear. :smile:
Zentec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zentec For This Useful Post:
JD001 (02-06-2018), Quasar Kid (01-28-2020)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #74
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
..reading about the torque dip has officially become worse than reading about politics/religion...it is too easy to complain about the power, yall bought the wrong car folks. you need to fork over more cash to get the best of both worlds agility & power, otherwise stop the cryin...

...as for the trans, I like the fact that it is clunky when cold *gasp* it actually feels mechanical
People just expect a flat torque curve in a car, especially a sports car. I floored it in my dad's 2001 mazda protege and it felt faster because the torque didn't go away at 3000 rpm. Now that I have replaced the headers and the tune the torque dip is gone. It feels like 200 bhp now. It's not like the car has to wait to get on boost for the torque to come on. That dip is simply a flaw and shouldn't be there. I have no idea why its there, but I suspect it has to do with emissions.

If people want to leave that valley in their torque curve where it should be a steady rise to a peak that's fine. Their car isn't my car
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #75
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
..you got me there, but nonetheless it is still clunky when it ain't at the proper temps
Those of us driving in Northern climates would be happy with clunky, most of us are locked out of 2nd gear completely without double clutching
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:17 AM   #76
toyubie

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This entire thread...

tl;dr get yourself some of this and let your goddamn tranny warm up
toyubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toyubie For This Useful Post:
JD001 (02-09-2018), Tcoat (02-09-2018), Zentec (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #77
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
People just expect a flat torque curve in a car, especially a sports car. I floored it in my dad's 2001 mazda protege and it felt faster because the torque didn't go away at 3000 rpm. Now that I have replaced the headers and the tune the torque dip is gone. It feels like 200 bhp now. It's not like the car has to wait to get on boost for the torque to come on. That dip is simply a flaw and shouldn't be there. I have no idea why its there, but I suspect it has to do with emissions.

If people want to leave that valley in their torque curve where it should be a steady rise to a peak that's fine. Their car isn't my car
..?..please show me a NA dyno chart which doesn't have torque dip for virtually any car, cheap or expensive. This forum has already gone through the motions of beating this concept to death...think @Tcoat posted some good dyno chart examples in the past..

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
Those of us driving in Northern climates would be happy with clunky, most of us are locked out of 2nd gear completely without double clutching
time to get a car with a manual connected by cables
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-09-2018), Zentec (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #78
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
..?..please show me a NA dyno chart which doesn't have torque dip for virtually any car, cheap or expensive. This forum has already gone through the motions of beating this concept to death...think @Tcoat posted some good dyno chart examples in the past..

time to get a car with a manual connected by cables
Yep. And not going to post again since it is dyno charts that many people base their concern about the dip on. Hell, people that have never driven the car complain about the dip based on the charts.
HKz (02-09-2018), Zentec (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #79
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
..reading about the torque dip has officially become worse than reading about politics/religion...it is too easy to complain about the power, yall bought the wrong car folks. you need to fork over more cash to get the best of both worlds agility & power, otherwise stop the cryin...
No one is crying. It's just annoying to watch people defend a negative characteristic and suggest we should either pretend it's not there or buy a different car if we don't like it. Both of those ideas are ignorant. I bought the car because it's a great platform. The torque dip is just one more thing to fix. Maybe the Camry forum or some other non-enthusiast forum would be more appropriate for these apologist perspectives, because it's comical from an enthusiast's perspective.

Quote:
..?..please show me a NA dyno chart which doesn't have torque dip for virtually any car, cheap or expensive.
That's easy. Look at pretty much any BMW M engine ever for starters. What would be difficult is for you to show a modern sports car with a torque dip as severe as the FA20.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
Pat (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #80
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
No one is crying. It's just annoying to watch people defend a negative characteristic and suggest we should either pretend it's not there or buy a different car if we don't like it. Both of those ideas are ignorant. I bought the car because it's a great platform. The torque dip is just one more thing to fix. Maybe the Camry forum or some other non-enthusiast forum would be more appropriate for these apologist perspectives, because it's comical from an enthusiast's perspective.

That's easy. Look at pretty much any BMW M engine ever for starters. What would be difficult is for you to show a modern sports car with a torque dip as severe as the FA20.
Ah so those that are not bothered by it are fanbois and not good enthusiasts. Got it.

Not one but two dips. Cool

HKz (02-09-2018), Zentec (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #81
gtengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ah so those that are not bothered by it are fanbois and not good enthusiasts. Got it.
Yes, if you make apologies for a severe torque dip and tell others they bought the wrong car for complaining about it and fixing it I'd say you're a fanboi and not much of an enthusiast.

Quote:

Not one but two dips. Cool
Like I said, show me one "as severe"as the FA20. A dip from 229 ft-lb to 222 ft-lb is not as severe as a dip from 154 to 136. For one, the actual difference is less, and second, it's less impactful as a percentage of peak torque reduction. So the Cayman's torque dip is both less than the FA20, and less of an impact as a percentage of peak torque.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #82
Tcoat

Quote:
Yes, if you make apologies for a severe torque dip and tell others they bought the wrong car for complaining about it and fixing it I'd say you're a fanboi and not much of an enthusiast.

Like I said, show me one "as severe"as the FA20. A dip from 229 ft-lb to 222 ft-lb is not as severe as a dip from 154 to 136. For one, the actual difference is less, and second, it's less impactful as a percentage of peak torque reduction. So the Cayman's torque dip is both less than the FA20, and less of an impact as a percentage of peak torque.

Apparently I missed the part where people said to not change it if you don't like it.

I am not into bench racing by graph so I will leave that up to the real enthusiasts to debate.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #83
gtengr

Quote:
Apparently I missed the part where people said to not change it if you don't like it.
Telling someone to buy another car is pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
I am not into bench racing by graph so I will leave that up to the real enthusiasts to debate.
Reading numbers on a graph from the manufacturer is basic analysis and interpretation, no bench racing involved.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #84
Tcoat

Quote:
Pitch until you win.

It's basic analysis and interpretation, no bench racing involved.
Ya. Sure.