follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #71
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any update on the price for the arm rest?

Since the interiors are the same I'll assume it fits the BRZ as well. Now I just hope they don't F it up and make it all red to match the other FRS accents.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #72
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
I don't think we'll see a turbo until year 3. I think next year we'll get the HP tuned up to like 240ish with an STI/whateverscioncallsit version. Then those versions will be boosted on year 3, putting the HP up even higher.
LOL then you gonna be waiting for a long wait, cuz everytime Tada-san hears about turbo question, he face palm and shakes his head side way.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #73
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
LOL then you gonna be waiting for a long wait, cuz everytime Tada-san hears about turbo question, he face palm and shakes his head side way.
Quoted for truth, and to admit my mistake.

Yeah I'm taking this one back after talking to more people, and thinking about this from Subaru's perspective. As soon as you boost this car it becomes a RWD direct competitor to the WRX, which won't sit well or make much sense. I think that is strictly aftermarket at this point. Everyone seems to think it's "inevitable" but isn't thinking of the car the same way the designers are.

It's amazing what a few days of research does for your opinion on things... I feel like a new man.

Last edited by denkigrve; 05-13-2012 at 11:16 AM.
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to denkigrve For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (05-13-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #74
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
Quoted for truck, and to admit my mistake.

Yeah I'm taking this one back after talking to more people, and thinking about this from Subaru's perspective. As soon as you boost this car it becomes a RWD direct competitor to the WRX, which won't sit well or make much sense. I think that is strictly aftermarket at this point. Everyone seems to think it's "inevitable" but isn't thinking of the car the same way the designers are.

It's amazing what a few days of research does for your opinion on things... I feel like a new man.

There will be a turbo or supercharger in the near future.

No it will never be a direct competitor to the WRX. The WRX is a 4 or 5 door AWD sports sedan. Totally different car than the BRZ\FR-S\86

People want more power. They will get it from the factory. We might not see a turbo version in the FR-S but we will see one in the BRZ, in less than 2 years time. The key to success to this car will be to continually update it every year. Do be like honda and let the car basically be the same for 10 years like the S2000 and the NSX. Be a bit like Nissan and update the car a bit every year....(ie GT-R and 370z)

But you know what, is there not a new WRX\STI coming out next year on a completely new body and chassis? Hmmm. Will be interesting to see what they do...
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tripjammer For This Useful Post:
davesrave (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #75
DRACHENV6

Drives: tata nano
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHC View Post
and please don't say this includes putting HIDs in halogen housings, which is what I fear most of the FR-S purchasers will be doing.
Agreed. IMO, the only cost-effective way of getting true HID's on the FRS is to swap in BRZ headlights. Subaru (toyota) will probably price oem replacement headlights high enough that many will just opt for the BRZ.
DRACHENV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #76
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
SC noob questions: How much will it add to the weight of the car? How big of a hit does your MPG take assuming you use its boost on a regular basis? And what is it likely to cost?
(I thought the tC had an optional SC, but can't find it on the Scion site.)
50-100lbs on the nose depending. MPG will obviously go down, but boost is proportional to RPM, I've heard of people getting better mileage after SC installs. Cost would likely be around $4000 + labor.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #77
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
^^ What he said ^^

I'm sure a factory turbo/sc car or at least kit is coming. They needed to keep the car priced low to appeal to the masses, and knew that many of us would want to add power later. I really hope TRD can develop a roots-style SC instead of the centrifugal setup HKS is developing, to keep the weight further back in the chassis and to have the best low-end response. We'll have to wait and see!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #78
Vizard424

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/ Performance Package
Hey sorry for getting on this post a little late

But if the supercharger is anything like the one built for the tC please stay far away unless they deal with some serious quality issues. No offense to many of the good parts that TRD makes for other cars/trucks, the parts offered for the tC were less than durable. The tC supercharger was centrifugal, and most likely the FR-S will be too. TRD didn't have an intercooler for the supercharger and most small boost supercharger setups don't need them.

The result will probably be a centrifugal supercharger non-intercooled set to around ~5psi with about 35-40HP boost to the engine. This way they can go with a simple reflash of the ECU without upgrading injectors and maintaining minimal if any impact to MPG. The setup would probably cost around $2500-$3000 as that was how much it cost to get them installed from dealers for the tC. Really simple install actually so it shouldn't take many hours of labor.

The flaws and reason for the discontinued SC for the tC was due to a weak torque bar that connected the pulley to the compressor. It was known to actually warp and/or break off the pulley with aggressive throttle input. I.e. launching the car. Also the reflash for the SC made the tC run really lean and caused check engine problems. Worse still owners couldn't attribute problems of the SC as faults with the TRD unit and dealers didn't have to fix/pay for damages under warranty. If TRD can fix these problems (stop stealing other company's products and rebadging them and actually putting in R&D) then the SC would be a very cost effective boost for power output.
Vizard424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #79
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizard424 View Post
stop stealing other company's products and rebadging them and actually putting in R&D
TRD doesn't steal, they outsource. Big difference.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #80
Vizard424

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/ Performance Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
TRD doesn't steal, they outsource. Big difference.
My bad I didn't mean to offend but I do remember an incident a while back with the tC TRD parts. TRD offered a LSD for the car which was a rebadged Quaife unit. People realized this and started to buy the Quaife unit because they sold it at the price they sell all their LSDs around $1100. TRD didn't like this (TRD version sold for $1500) and Quaife was no longer allowed to sell the LSD without the TRD badge. Well, according to a Quaife representative.

Same thing went for the TRD SC for the tC. It was also a rebadged Vortech unit. According to speculation (I never verified) that was part of the reason why the SC was discontinued. Vortech didn't want to improve a product they're not receiving much money for. Again from speculation so I could be very wrong on this.

Also like I said my experiences of TRD were with the Scion tC, which I've heard the company dropped the ball big time. All their other products were very top quality and deserved the TRD badge from what I can tell. I'm just worried TRD doesn't drop the ball on the FR-S
Vizard424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #81
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
If TRD can fix these problems (stop stealing other company's products and rebadging them and actually putting in R&D) then the SC would be a very cost effective boost for power output.
I'm sorry, but I have to point out how inaccurate your comment of about TRD "stealing" products from another company: Vortech freely sold OEM parts to TRD USA, and had minimal involvement in R&D in the supercharger for the 2AZ... mainly telling TRD USA that a shaft-driven centrifugal supercharger was a poor idea. But they continued to sell parts to TRD USA anyway, even going as far as offering non-warrantied modifications to the shaft drive after studying the issues. Also, TRD USA did design and build two intercooler prototypes: one for a show tC, and another that made it's way into Dan Gardner's race tC which was quite successful in winning races. The reason why it wasn't offered is because (a) it put the price of the supercharger out of reach for many buyers, and (b) would have required external engine management to safely gain more boost, but California Air Resources Board (CARB) would not approve.

Quote:
My bad I didn't mean to offend but I do remember an incident a while back with the tC TRD parts. TRD offered a LSD for the car which was a rebadged Quaife unit. People realized this and started to buy the Quaife unit because they sold it at the price they sell all their LSDs around $1100. TRD didn't like this (TRD version sold for $1500) and Quaife was no longer allowed to sell the LSD without the TRD badge. Well, according to a Quaife representative.
The Quaife representative was mostly correct, but what he failed to mention is when OEMs agree to sell parts for rebranding, they often sign an agreement that TRD will becomes the exclusive distributor. My understanding is that Quaife independently offered a LSD for the 2AZ based on demand, even offering a direct group buy on Scion Life; afterwards, TRD decided to distribute the LSD. The same happened to StopTech regarding their Celica Big Brake Kit which was the same part # as the tC brake kit. Since StopTech was an OEM for TRD USA, they had to discontinue their Celica/Scion tC BBK. AEM also was an OEM for TRD USA for the Scion tC, however, they offered a competing Cold Air Intake without their bypass valve, so TRD USA had no recourse to ask them to discontinue the product.

Last edited by 2fast4you; 05-07-2012 at 05:54 PM.
2fast4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #82
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
My bad I didn't mean to offend but I do remember an incident a while back with the tC TRD parts. TRD offered a LSD for the car which was a rebadged Quaife unit... Same thing went for the TRD SC for the tC. It was also a rebadged Vortech unit.
I'm not at all offended, I'm simply attempting to relieve you of your misconceptions.

TRD paid Quaife to produce the LSDs for them to be resold to the consumer (presumably with TRD etched on them, rather than Quaife). It is quite possible that TRD/Toyota provided Quaife with technical information/assistance to aid in the development of an LSD for that particular platform. In which case TRD would have every right to ask Quaife to cease selling that particular LSD directly to the consumer. Or it could just be that TRD asked them nicely to stop and made veiled threats of no longer using them as a supplier in the future.

The Vortech part has already been covered by 2fast4you. But just to let you know, the TRD SC kits that don't suck are what you would refer to as "rebadged" Eaton units. What Toyota does with those is buy the blowers from Eaton, and then cast new intake manifolds to bolt them to.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #83
Dark_Angle

Drives: 91 Turbo Mr2
Is there any update on this list of items as far as price and avaiability?
Dark_Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #84
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
interested in the same..... really wondering what the likely hood of a TRD SC option is....

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote