follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #1499
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Somebody give this man a prize!! The FIRST innovate owner that is actually happy with the SC!!! Lmao!!

I would go ESC over Innovate any day, hands down. My decision to go turbo has already been made and parts purchased but in the grand scheme of things, ESC would be second and Innovate a distant 4th (after the Vortech kit )
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious, as this is the Internet. I love my innovate kit; install was super easy, tuning has been good, if slower than I'd have expected because I picked a busy tuner, and the results are hard to argue with. I picked this SC over the other options because it was easier to install than a turbo, and has a better power delivery for my uses than the vortech kit. An ESC wasn't on the radar. It's a good idea, if it wasn't a watered down, low power KERS-like creation. But even KERS is generally used with a regenerative brake system, negating the charging issue, our cars lack that.

Also, syncing 2 videos is not a valid comparison, put both cars on the road next to each other so they actually race, sick of this virtual dyno/virtual dragstrip bullshit.

Sent from...somewhere?
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #1500
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yah, seems to me the mud slinging is going both ways. Nobody can bash the Innovate system as it's a solid choice for those just looking for a substantial increase in power as well as driveability across the curve. 225+/- whp is nothing to sneeze at in a 2700lb car.

I agree it's hard to compare tachs in a video, too many variables, but in this thread there's a direct comparison between a mostly stock AP1 S2000 and an FR-S with this system (both ESC off and on). Off, the S2000 pulls about how you'd expect with an extra 30-40 whp in the VTEC power band. With the system on, the FR-S pulls on the S2000 like the S2000 pulls on the FR-S without the ESC, pretty encouraging in my book. Very rough estimate looking at that and knowing what an S2000 can do, you're talking a car capable of upper to mid 13's with a good launch... and that's on a system that is still very much in development. As this thing gains momentum (as I'm sure it will), the interest will drive this type of setup further and close the gap between it and other low cost FI solutions.

I'm definitely psyched this project has surfaced, and will continue to watch it closely. Good job guys
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #1501
Pug
Atoning Unifex

Drives: '13 BRZ Premium, WR Blue
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
@RedLeader: I'll have one of the ESC kits ready in a week or two. You may remember me from getting one of the badass heel plates. Sometime when we're in the same city (and the install and tune is done) you'll have to try my car and see what you think.
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #1502
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's a pity there isn't a reliable, affordable way to significantly bump up the max rpm on the electrocharger. It is a nice piece of equipment as is, but if it could deliver at higher rpm...
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #1503
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Sorry Canuk, no free ship fo you!

Is that $80 for all 3 batteries or per battery? Every FI kit includes a base tune. In this case we need to add $200 for the BRZedit license, whatever a tuner charges to flash the ECU or $200 for your own cable.

BTW, has anyone tried to tune this with a Unichip? I'd be curious if that little piggyhack could even keep the CEL off. LOL
80 for the 2 "dump batteries", Your stock battery should fit in Rob's new tray but ill let him confirm that. Nobody has tried with unichip yet sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.big.kahoona View Post
Been lurking in this thread for a while . GREAT STUFF
Thank you! Im very glad to be a part of this development. Dollar to HP ratio is king when talking about the phantom supercharger system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbar View Post
Always so hostile....

@fenton, has anyone been able to get 1/4 mile times or track lap improvements yet? I haven't been on here in a while.
Sorry no 1/4 mile time i do not have a track near me. We do now have a double recharger system which cuts charge time in half. Autocross wouldn't have a problem now. Shorter road course should be possible as well. Nurburgring is still out of reach though for the electric game

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher187 View Post
Damn @fenton I know you must get tired of being on defense LOL.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your platform all tweaked out and upgraded with headers+ full exhaust and water/meth if you go with it.
Its not even that im defending, im just posting the facts that i have already posted, this thread is getting quite large. All the defending i should have to do is direct to the first page where we went from 160hp to 206hp..... thats defence enough. 109tq at 4200rpm to 190tq sc'd..... get out of here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
It's apparent to me that many of the recent naysayers haven't even taken the time to read this GIANT thread - a lot of answers in there. Instead they're swooping in and making some assumptions. I think of myself as being pretty impartial - ultimately I'd love to have a turbo car, but I'm no where ready to commit the dosh and the installation. This thing can be installed, by me, in a couple hours. It can be un-installed cleanly in less than an hour. It does not make any claims to compete directly with any other mechanically driven supercharger out there, although it's pretty impressive as is (and it hasn't been fully refined yet). Lastly, keep in mind that Fenton is running this at higher altitudes.
I would LOVE to have a turbo as well. My last two cars were both turbo, 09wrx and 11sti. Personally I love the innovative SC and a couple of the turbo kits. I dont understand why some people want to put it down.... i think its great for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtimney View Post
OFF TOPIC--- I've been following this thread from the start. Everyone knew there would be controversy... and there has been. But, I gotta say I'm really surprised and impressed at how civil this conversation has been overall. There have been some nastiness, but compared to the other forums I've participated in this one has been an absolute love-fest.

Congrats to this community for creating one of the few "free marketplace of ideas" spots on the internet!
Even when I get attacked or talked down to I always try and respond with respect and in a courtious manner..... its something a professional does. I choose to talk to people on the internet as if they are right in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
Nick, you are comparing apples to alligators.

The driver of a turbo or SC car with exhaust mads and the like is *generally* looking for big HP gains.

The ESC is for the driver that is looking to improve the torque curve (on demand) on a much smaller scale.

I was very interested in the Innovative SC until the Phantom came along. The ESC meets all of my performance and reliability needs. I had concerns with 100% boost over a long ownership period. Being able to choose when I apply boost means a lot to me.
I was interested in Innovate as well, i just dont have the time or money to get it up and running the way i would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious, as this is the Internet. I love my innovate kit; install was super easy, tuning has been good, if slower than I'd have expected because I picked a busy tuner, and the results are hard to argue with. I picked this SC over the other options because it was easier to install than a turbo, and has a better power delivery for my uses than the vortech kit. An ESC wasn't on the radar. It's a good idea, if it wasn't a watered down, low power KERS-like creation. But even KERS is generally used with a regenerative brake system, negating the charging issue, our cars lack that.

Also, syncing 2 videos is not a valid comparison, put both cars on the road next to each other so they actually race, sick of this virtual dyno/virtual dragstrip bullshit.

Sent from...somewhere?
Sorry, syncing two video's was all I could pull together for a comparison last night. I dont know of anyone with a innovate kit in Canada let alone Calgary.

If nothing else it should prove to you that acceleration is "virtually" the same.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #1504
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
It's a pity there isn't a reliable, affordable way to significantly bump up the max rpm on the electrocharger. It is a nice piece of equipment as is, but if it could deliver at higher rpm...
Funny you should mention that. Rob has let me share a little secret / experiment.

This system effectively doubles the charge to the engine. That's a max of 8 psi with 4psi of NON PARASITIC boost. 4 psi at redline will be well over 250rwhp.

This system could be limited with the drag reduction sensors to keep the charge as close to 5psi as possible by pulsing the motors very fast at low rpm and basically running them flat out at higher rpm. 8 psi is probably not be a good idea at 2000rpm! Haha

Keep in mind you would need twice the juice to run this however.... but it does show there is a upgrade path in the future!

There is also a couple other things we are testing out and more information will be shared after next weeks dyno. All I can tell you now is im excited!!

AND YES, it does fit

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #1505
the.big.kahoona

Drives: 2013 Raven 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cot damn it I demand an ETA on this!
the.big.kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #1506
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Funny you should mention that. Rob has let me share a little secret / experiment.

This system effectively doubles the charge to the engine. That's a max of 8 psi with 4psi of NON PARASITIC boost. 4 psi at redline will be well over 250rwhp.

This system could be limited with the drag reduction sensors to keep the charge as close to 5psi as possible by pulsing the motors very fast at low rpm and basically running them flat out at higher rpm. 8 psi is probably not be a good idea at 2000rpm! Haha

Keep in mind you would need twice the juice to run this however.... but it does show there is a upgrade path in the future!

There is also a couple other things we are testing out and more information will be shared after next weeks dyno. All I can tell you now is im excited!!

AND YES, it does fit

I claim naming rights on this: Snail String Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #1507
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Garage
:facepalm:
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #1508
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Limitless potential! (sorry I had to )
Attached Images

bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-06-2015), NickFRS (08-22-2013), Pug (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #1509
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Limitless potential! (sorry I had to )
It's what we were all thinking.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #1510
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

AND YES, it does fit

WHOAAAAAAAAAAA, HE NOT TELL ME ABOUT THIS!!!! WHOAAAA
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bu-Tang For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-06-2015)
Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #1511
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok, my engineering mind has a suggestion. Instead of putting them in series, which would seem to limit the the amount of boost the first snail will provide, why not port them into the intake in parallel? I'm envisioning a butterfly type setup (horizontally opposed), or a mirror setup (with motors on the outside). Only thing to figure out at that point is fit and how the air would be ported in there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #1512
fenton

@HunterGreene, just as you are saying that you can see how the complexity has just expontentially increased.

This system takes Pressure Ratio x Pressure Ratio, the first does not limit the second as you have suggested.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-06-2015), HunterGreene (08-22-2013)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive