follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #407
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPFRS View Post
Just took my 2013 FRS 51k into dealer with CEL/Traction ctrl light on. They are replacing Cam Sprocket and ECU under warranty. Anyone know if Toyo issued a TSB on this ?
I believe Toyota has one, yet it only says to replace the ECU (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Subaru has one that's more detailed. That's what I presented to the Toyota dealership.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #408
SSPFRS

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ok.. cool. Thanks for response. I just want to make sure what the are telling me is right on. Initially they doubted the repaired would be covered under power train warr and whithin an hour of them looking at it, they gave me a loaner and said they need to open a case with Toyo. Its been in 3 days. Seems this may be a somewhat common issue ?
SSPFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #409
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPFRS View Post
ok.. cool. Thanks for response. I just want to make sure what the are telling me is right on. Initially they doubted the repaired would be covered under power train warr and whithin an hour of them looking at it, they gave me a loaner and said they need to open a case with Toyo. Its been in 3 days. Seems this may be a somewhat common issue ?
My opinion is whenever a manufacturer releases a TSB, it's a common issue. Also, it can appear common enough throughout the community forums, because were specifically looking for it (or we were unfortunate enough to have it happen to us and decided to share).

Toyota should cover 100%, unless you're over on mileage or months according to the powertrain warranty. If not, file a complaint with corporate. That's what I did, and they helped.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #410
Sfrs2013

Drives: 2013 FRS supercharged
Not sure. However for an update on my same issue. I changed the oil after running a motor oil flush in engine for about 10 minutes. Also did a good clean on my air filter. I put in new oil and filter. I connected my Ecutek and cleared all the codes. So far I have driven the car a total of about 50 miles with no more CEL codes. The dealer did say that the car was a couple quarts low when they checked it but I don't recall my car using any oil at all. They wanted 3K to go into engine and fix cam sprocket too. I am really glad I didn't let them do anything! 3K is a lot of cash when all I have done so far is an engine flush and new oil. We shall see if it stays healthy!
Sfrs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #411
Sfrs2013

I can tell you this! My dealer told me that since I had not had the oil changed at dealer and there were no records of it being changed (because I do it), that they would NOT do any work under warranty. I think they used that as a loop hole! They also told me they were willing to help me out. They offered me a $400 discount on the total 3K to fix my car! Just be wary of the dealer. They had my car a week and kept promising me that I would not have to pay anything. They also told me they were running it by cooperate as well. After a week of going back and forth, They told me I would have to pay! In my opinion, way too many loop holes in the dealer warranties!
Old 12-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #412
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfrs2013 View Post
Not sure. However for an update on my same issue. I changed the oil after running a motor oil flush in engine for about 10 minutes. Also did a good clean on my air filter. I put in new oil and filter. I connected my Ecutek and cleared all the codes. So far I have driven the car a total of about 50 miles with no more CEL codes. The dealer did say that the car was a couple quarts low when they checked it but I don't recall my car using any oil at all. They wanted 3K to go into engine and fix cam sprocket too. I am really glad I didn't let them do anything! 3K is a lot of cash when all I have done so far is an engine flush and new oil. We shall see if it stays healthy!
That's great news. I hope it doesn't appear again. For me, it reappeared after a tank of gas. Lol.

FYI - Boxer/flat configured engines have the tendency to burn oil more than normal. I would check it every month or 1000 miles.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #413
Sfrs2013

So, after the tank of gas what did your issue end up being for sure? Cam sprocket? Thanks for the tip on the oil too. I change it earlier than I should but did not check it often which I will be sure to do from now on.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #414
Sfrs2013

How do you like this set up? Enkei TS-10s, BFGoodwrench Sport Comp2 tires
I have Enkei wheels but am going to need tires soon. Perellli is an awesome tire with a big price but I really liked the last set I had. I have BFs on my JEEP wrangler and love them too.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #415
alxtheoreo

Quote:
So, after the tank of gas what did your issue end up being for sure? Cam sprocket? Thanks for the tip on the oil too. I change it earlier than I should but did not check it often which I will be sure to do from now on.
It was the cam sprocket. I went through 2 ecu changes, and it came back each time.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #416
TheStig85

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly, you need to troubleshoot everything. Almost feels like everyone's situation is slightly different. Knock on wood, but I think my issue was just ECU related. I fought over it for months and months and months.
Quote:
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
TheStig85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #417
alxtheoreo

Quote:
How do you like this set up? Enkei TS-10s, BFGoodwrench Sport Comp2 tires
I have Enkei wheels but am going to need tires soon. Perellli is an awesome tire with a big price but I really liked the last set I had. I have BFs on my JEEP wrangler and love them too.
I like the setup. There's no stretch in the tire, yet the wheel lip does poke out a very, very small amount (like 2 millimeters). The tire is a 215-45-17.

Performance wise, it beats the stock setup. Price wise, it's inexpensive. If you want more grip, I would recommend going up in tire categories (e.g. a ultra or max performance summer tire).

And the wheel is light for the size: 17x8 at 17.6lbs.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #418
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Guys, a jammed spool valve will fuck up a perfectly good ECU. Once the ECU is out of whack, it MUST be replaced. It will never re-learn the correct initial position values. It sucks that the system is designed that way but, until someone cracks the low-level area where those values are stored, there's no return adjustment.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #419
Sfrs2013

This has all been a great help guys. I will keep my fingers crossed that an simple oil change did the trick for me. So far I have driven the car 100 miles without CELs. If I see this light again, I will plan on a pulled timing cover and maybe a cam sprocket change and then on to an ECU if CEL for this issue still haunts me.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #420
TheStig85

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
@TheStig85, I'm curious to see what your new VVT Initial Position Learning Values are. If it's not too much trouble, (it's some trouble, I know) could you post a screenshot of them?
Sorry for the late reply. Personal life been nutty. Just pulled them now:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
TheStig85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheStig85 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-14-2018)