follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
DemonRawr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Clutch Spring Removal & Throwout Bearing

I was wondering if those that had removed their clutch helper spring experienced problems with their clutch. About a month after the removal of the spring, I started encountering loud squeaking noises as I depress my clutch, but it would only last for the first 10 minutes.

I brought it in to the dealer to see what was the issue and it turns out that my throw out bearing was wearing grooves into the pressure plate (clutch was completely fine). They informed me that it was not a defect, but rather driving habits. However, I am doubtful that it was solely my fault as the car has only 12,000 miles on it! I always rest my foot on the dead pedal to prevent any pressure on the clutch. If there was any unecessary wear, it would just be the occasional hiccups from daily driving.

Would the removal of the clutch helper spring actually cause the throw out bearing to come into contact with the pressure plate even when there is no pressure exerted on the clutch pedal? From what I've gather, the answer is no; however, I've stumbled acrossed a thread on the Z06 forum about the rumor of GM dealerships checking for spring removal on Corvettes with tranny issues.

My only assumption of why this could be a possible issue is if the spring pushes the clutch pedal up at rest, but to my knowledge, the helper spring only assists with the actual stiffness of the clutch.

Let me know what you guys think.
DemonRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm calling bullshit on it being driving habits. My car started making a noise at 27k miles. The clutch assembly was replaced under warranty.

Look at this thread. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56882
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porcupint For This Useful Post:
DemonRawr (05-12-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Ozzman

Drives: old
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My clutch squeaked, the pivot ball for the throwout lever needed to be greased.
Ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, clutch, noise, spring, throwout