follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2017, 04:46 AM   #1
texastwurkt3am

Drives: '17 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did they change the speakers from the '13 to the '17 or is the HU just that bad?

Just traded in my 2013 BRZ Limited for a 2017 BRZ Limited and I am in love with virtually every change except for the horrendous sound quality of the new audio systems. One of the first things that needs to be done is an audio overhaul and fast but I wanted to isolate all the culprits before I rip my car apart. I tried finding a firmware update, but I can't find anything even remotely close to it or a portal for them that works. All the links I found for Subarunet 404'd. Does anybody know if they changed the speakers, or is the new headunit really just that bad?
texastwurkt3am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:11 AM   #2
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
Issue from all sources ?

Is the sound quality poor from all sources "FM. USB, Bluetooth ..." ???
I don't see anything that would be firmware related that would effect all sources. Have you listened to another 2017 BRZ Limited and found the same audio issue that you hear in yours ??
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Kerrija

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
In the settings turn off the sound restorer and volume smoothing. You can try this guy's setting for the EQ too. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=96
Kerrija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrija View Post
In the settings turn off the sound restorer and volume smoothing. You can try this guy's setting for the EQ too. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=96
thanks for this... I'm gonna try this on my way to lunch
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you move the "sound imaging" (or whatever the wording is...) more toward the front, it sounds better IMO.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Wow, bass boost much? Those EQ settings are bizarre.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Wow, bass boost much? Those EQ settings are bizarre.
I'm assuming it's because he said he mainly listens to rap.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
I'm assuming it's because he said he mainly listens to rap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #9
texastwurkt3am

Sorry for the late replies. I wish I still had the pictures I took of my old setup before switching but I deleted them promptly after finding out they were now useless in the new model. Basically I used to be able to listen to the radio on full blast, for years. The audio was completely clean and crisp. Not super bassy, but more than enough to accentuate the music and give some rumble. This newer model, I am lucky if I can even get it past 33-35 without the entire thing sounding suuuuuuper distorted and really poor quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVM View Post
Is the sound quality poor from all sources "FM. USB, Bluetooth ..." ???
I don't see anything that would be firmware related that would effect all sources. Have you listened to another 2017 BRZ Limited and found the same audio issue that you hear in yours ??
It's not great from other sources but Bluetooth is definitely the worst offender. Lots of small cutouts and clips. Firmware can actually change a whole host of things, like the fake EQ in the '17 that brings up entire band ranges instead of the isolated frequency areas listed

Quote:
That looks like a disaster from my experience testing the settings but I'll at least give it a shot whenever I get my car back. I got rearended the day I bought it, 20 minutes later... it's in the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
If you move the "sound imaging" (or whatever the wording is...) more toward the front, it sounds better IMO.
Weird, on the '13 I had that towards the back, and without it on the back in the '17 it sounded super rumbly with faux bass. You know that bass that just sounds distorted without actually giving any benefit
Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #10
jslack

Drives: 2017 Red subaru BRZ Limited
The 17 BRZ head unit is horrendous. And the speakers aren't much better. Blue tooth took upwards of a minute to connect if that quick. So I replaced head unit and all speakers in the car and added a 12 inch sub in the back. sound deadened the car and it sounds much better. I just added the JL audio TWK 88 and now sounds even better that I can tweak each speaker individually. The only down side right now is the Kenwood ddx9904s just doesn't fill the whole opening. I know Carbon Car Systems in Australia does sell the trim ring for the aftermarket radio. http://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop/...rz-facia-2017/
here is that link. Not sure if 130 plus shipping is worth it if I can do some playing around with ABS myself.
jslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #11
texastwurkt3am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslack View Post
The 17 BRZ head unit is horrendous. And the speakers aren't much better. Blue tooth took upwards of a minute to connect if that quick. So I replaced head unit and all speakers in the car and added a 12 inch sub in the back. sound deadened the car and it sounds much better. I just added the JL audio TWK 88 and now sounds even better that I can tweak each speaker individually. The only down side right now is the Kenwood ddx9904s just doesn't fill the whole opening. I know Carbon Car Systems in Australia does sell the trim ring for the aftermarket radio. http://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop/...rz-facia-2017/
here is that link. Not sure if 130 plus shipping is worth it if I can do some playing around with ABS myself.
I'll most likely definitely swap out the HU and throw in some RCA cables while I'm in there, see how the speakers are, and add a sub or two. It's a shame too because I used to be able to abuse the crap out of the one in the '13 and it took it like a champ. Half of my initial drive home was spent configuring the radio instead of just enjoying the drive home, and I still wasn't satisfied with the result
Old 11-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
TOLM

Drives: Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastwurkt3am View Post
I'll most likely definitely swap out the HU and throw in some RCA cables while I'm in there, see how the speakers are, and add a sub or two. It's a shame too because I used to be able to abuse the crap out of the one in the '13 and it took it like a champ. Half of my initial drive home was spent configuring the radio instead of just enjoying the drive home, and I still wasn't satisfied with the result
Wait for another couple weeks. I do not drive my 2017 much.. only 600 miles for 6 weeks, but the oem woofers seem to require quite a bit of time to break in. Another thing i did - each source allows you to adjust the level: SVL i think in sound menu for that source - I had to raise it by like plus 10 for USB and aux that i am mostly using. The system is sure a bit underpowered, this helps a lil. Equializer settings: flat, always flat. Time alignment (position adjustment) - better be left untouched in this HU (IMO).

Apart from HU functions (my gps is super slow and kinda sucks, mostly using google maps on my smartphone).. SQ wise, I find the sound system in my BRZ awesome. I've seen and I've had better systems in the past (have some competition experience from like 10 years ago back in europe and built several systems myself since that) but the stock system sounds pretty amazing. Loving the whole three way frontal setup with an external amp. Heavy metal and classics being my favourite music styles both sound awesome. I do not plan to change anything but will add a subwoofer (work in progress right now).
TOLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
texastwurkt3am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLM View Post

Apart from HU functions (my gps is super slow and kinda sucks, mostly using google maps on my smartphone)..
Wait you have GPS? I was under the impression that the '17 didn't have navigation, probably because the one in the '13 never fu***** worked. Ever. What model year is your car?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #14
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastwurkt3am View Post
Wait you have GPS? I was under the impression that the '17 didn't have navigation, probably because the one in the '13 never fu***** worked. Ever. What model year is your car?
I thought the Canadian BRZs still got the old Head Units in 2017. My 2017 definitely doesn't unless you use the terrible for-purchase app on your smartphone.
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, headunit, oem, radio, speakers