follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 AM   #85
GT86 Guy

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can anyone make a small guide on what to buy and what is needed?
GT86 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #86
Knshro13

Drives: 10 series FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86 Guy View Post
Can anyone make a small guide on what to buy and what is needed?
You will need a set of 10series/RS 1.0/RS2.0 headlights.

and some re-pinning.

There are a few diagrams on this forum. but its quite easy.

Or you can buy a harness that another member sold.

good luck.
Knshro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:52 AM   #87
Knshro13

Drives: 10 series FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahquit View Post
Resurrecting this old thread...

From reading the thread it sounds like the gt86 and jdm lights would be wired the same since Moto-P seems to use either title interchangeably.

However, I picked up a set of jdm lights (will swap to lhd cutoff) and they only have 6 wires in the 8 pin harness, not 7 like in Moto-P's guide.

For anyone who installed actual jdm lights (and not euro gt86 lights), what order did you pin the wires?

I saw the garagefrs page, and the lights they used also have 6 wires but not all the same colors (theirs has a white wire but mine has a green wire). So it's a bit confusing! (Below is a pic of mine)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

You sure those are JDM?

My jdm set had 7. Moto and I got our headlights from the same source.

The USDM 10Series/RS1.0/RS2.0 all have 6 wires in the 8 wire plug.
Knshro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knshro13 For This Useful Post:
FRSToyota86 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:08 AM   #88
FRSToyota86

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks Moto, I was able to use the information you provided and made a harness. I made use of some Diodes, I was able to keep my DRL and DRL Always on!

Thanks.
Vortech V3 Supercharger| 12 PSI|E85 MotoEast Flexfuel kit|Crawford AOS| Mishimoto Oil Cooler|3"Perrin Resonated CBE| 3" JDL Front/Over Pipe|OpenFlash Performance Headers|Exedy Stage 2 Ceramic Clutch |Yonaka Coilovers|17x9 O.Z. Wheels| 245/40r/17|TRD Brake Pads|Perrin Master Cylinder Brace |ChaseBay SSBrake Lines|CF Side Fins|OEM Shark Fin Athena|Yospeed Console Plaque|R/T Shift Knob|Fog Lights|Backup Camera|Navigation| |TRD Quickshifter|Motul Gear Oil|

Last edited by FRSToyota86; 03-26-2017 at 10:57 PM.
FRSToyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #89
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sorry to bump an old thread... but is there a way to reduce the light output of the LED strip?

I've installed the Monogram lights to my base '14. Everything works as it should but the LED light is just too bright. At the moment, the headlight's LED +/GND leads are connected to the Parking +/GND. Is there another power source I can tap to that would produce a dim LED light? TIA!
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #90
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread... but is there a way to reduce the light output of the LED strip?

I've installed the Monogram lights to my base '14. Everything works as it should but the LED light is just too bright. At the moment, the headlight's LED +/GND leads are connected to the Parking +/GND. Is there another power source I can tap to that would produce a dim LED light? TIA!
No. There isn't natively.

Typically for US market, the FRS LEDs are only active for DRL, which you have to custom spice power from the original DRL source (from DRL resistor source). This is separate from the parking power.

Diode Dynamics and Beatrush offer a DRL always on harness kit with a resistor that supposedly dims night time output, but I don't have experience with it. Again, I believe you need to implment original DRL function to use it (aka power from resistor source). There is also a DIY where you wire in an inline resistor.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
iLuveKetchup (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #91
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I'll chime in since I just got finished with my headlight upgrade project. I used the JDM/Euro headlights and in the connector top row they have: Pin 1 (not used); Pin 2 (white wire) for the LED high; Pin 3 (green wire) for LED low; Pin 4 (black) for LED ground.

I noticed on a wiring diagragm of the Monogram headlights that Pin 1 is white (LED high), Pin 2 and Pin 3 are not used, and Pin 4 is black (LED ground). Is it possible that the Monogram lights have a green wire, maybe on Pin 2 or Pin 3 and that maybe it would be the LED low? Don't have a photo to check so I'm shooting in the dark here.

Did you try the "Always On" module, and I wonder if it reduces the output of the LED?
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #92
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
No. There isn't natively.

Typically for US market, the FRS LEDs are only active for DRL, which you have to custom spice power from the original DRL source (from DRL resistor source). This is separate from the parking power.

Diode Dynamics and Beatrush offer a DRL always on harness kit with a resistor that supposedly dims night time output, but I don't have experience with it. Again, I believe you need to implment original DRL function to use it (aka power from resistor source). There is also a DIY where you wire in an inline resistor.
So if I connect headlight LED (+) to the DRL source (+), the LED strip will turn off when the low/high beams are on?

I don't like the LED strip much and was thinking of just removing the LED light functionality altogether, but this is a good compromise. Thanks so much! I'll try this next.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #93
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfordart View Post
I'll chime in since I just got finished with my headlight upgrade project. I used the JDM/Euro headlights and in the connector top row they have: Pin 1 (not used); Pin 2 (white wire) for the LED high; Pin 3 (green wire) for LED low; Pin 4 (black) for LED ground.

I noticed on a wiring diagragm of the Monogram headlights that Pin 1 is white (LED high), Pin 2 and Pin 3 are not used, and Pin 4 is black (LED ground). Is it possible that the Monogram lights have a green wire, maybe on Pin 2 or Pin 3 and that maybe it would be the LED low? Don't have a photo to check so I'm shooting in the dark here.

Did you try the "Always On" module, and I wonder if it reduces the output of the LED?
"Always On" module? Is this the DRL resistor?

The Monogram has 6 leads:

Red (thicc) - headlight +
Black (thicc) - headlight gnd

Yellow - high beam +
Blue - high beam gnd

White - LED +
black - LED gnd

I've re-pinned to the OEM FRS 6-pin connector as follows:

----------- TAB -----------
-----------------------------
Red | Black | Yellow
White | black | Blue
Old 03-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #94
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfordart View Post

USDM HID/LED lights don't have a low power source/circuit for night time LED bar like the JDM and EURO lights do.

Quote:
So if I connect headlight LED (+) to the DRL source (+), the LED strip will turn off when the low/high beams are on?

I don't like the LED strip much and was thinking of just removing the LED light functionality altogether, but this is a good compromise. Thanks so much! I'll try this next.
Yes, exactly. It functions exactly how the DRL usually does.

The major difference is that the LEDs will not work at night. They also don't won't turn on when you use high beam. This is from my general understanding.

I haven't wired mine into DRL yet so I can't say with 100% certainty what all of the operational scenarios are
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
iLuveKetchup (03-04-2018)

Tags
gt86, gt86 headlights, headlights, lhd