follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #463
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, installed the Type A 350 header and it is magnificent to behold. There is a problem however: I am running a JDL ultra quiet front pipe and Corsa cat back and it is loud. I mean ear drums bleeding loud. I finally have my dream setup, and it is stupid. It also has Jackson racing supercharger on it. The ultra quiet front pipe has a 200 cell cat and a resonator in it, the Corsa has a big resonator and a muffler. What now? I daily this car, and I need to quiet it down. Please don't tell me to put the stock cat back on it, they get pretty buzzy. Has anybody had experience with adding another resonator to the system? What about a bigger muffler? @CSG Mike what say you? I have spent a bunch of money on my car, especially on the exhaust, and it is too loud for a track now- let alone the street.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 PM   #464
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ace 4-2-1 Header

^ Take off that corsa catback 0.0 or go to muffler shop to see what they can do.

Header always give you most noise over other stuff & it gets amplify thou catback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #465
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Well, installed the Type A 350 header and it is magnificent to behold. There is a problem however: I am running a JDL ultra quiet front pipe and Corsa cat back and it is loud. I mean ear drums bleeding loud. I finally have my dream setup, and it is stupid. It also has Jackson racing supercharger on it. The ultra quiet front pipe has a 200 cell cat and a resonator in it, the Corsa has a big resonator and a muffler. What now? I daily this car, and I need to quiet it down. Please don't tell me to put the stock cat back on it, they get pretty buzzy. Has anybody had experience with adding another resonator to the system? What about a bigger muffler? @CSG Mike what say you? I have spent a bunch of money on my car, especially on the exhaust, and it is too loud for a track now- let alone the street.
Yea...huge difference sir. Btw, we need to discuss on your next tune since you added all those parts on.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
twag4 (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #466
AlexBinJackson

Drives: 2015 Brz Blue Series Pearl White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Ace 4-2-1 Header

Quote:

How loud is loud to you unless the corsa cat back is all straight pipes I can't imagine it being as loud as you say especially because I have ace nameless hfc front pipe and t1r single exit with resonator and it's quite nice. Also have JRSC

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak from the front pipe to the overpipe on the header
AlexBinJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexBinJackson For This Useful Post:
twag4 (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #467
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBinJackson View Post
How loud is loud to you unless the corsa cat back is all straight pipes I can't imagine it being as loud as you say especially because I have ace nameless hfc front pipe and t1r single exit with resonator and it's quite nice. Also have JRSC

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak from the front pipe to the overpipe on the header
Does your T1R drone at highway speeds?
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:00 PM   #468
AlexBinJackson

Drives: 2015 Brz Blue Series Pearl White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Does your T1R drone at highway speeds?

Nope not with this header but my tomei uel did lol
AlexBinJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexBinJackson For This Useful Post:
JimmyMac (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #469
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Yea...huge difference sir. Btw, we need to discuss on your next tune since you added all those parts on.
Emailed from the website. Is this really how loud this is going to be? It is crazy loud just from dropping a catalytic converter!!?? I can't see any exhaust leaks so I don't think that is it. My wife will not ride in it, she is too embarrassed by the noise. I do want to try an upgraded tune with it first...before deciding my next move.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:07 AM   #470
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Emailed from the website. Is this really how loud this is going to be? It is crazy loud just from dropping a catalytic converter!!?? I can't see any exhaust leaks so I don't think that is it. My wife will not ride in it, she is too embarrassed by the noise. I do want to try an upgraded tune with it first...before deciding my next move.
Different exhaust systems and resonator locations may not be correct to cancel out those harsh resonance. From experience, HFC seems to drone more than a straight pipe and an OEM pipe. The exhaust will be loud with any catback exhaust other than stock. Likewise, my suggestion will be the TRD, MXP SP, stock, or go with something that's loud so it is very free flowing. Anything in between seems to just be terrible.

This header has a very efficient flow. You may have too many restrictions that are causing these sound waves to bounce all over the place.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
twag4 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #471
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Different exhaust systems and resonator locations may not be correct to cancel out those harsh resonance. From experience, HFC seems to drone more than a straight pipe and an OEM pipe. The exhaust will be loud with any catback exhaust other than stock. Likewise, my suggestion will be the TRD, MXP SP, stock, or go with something that's loud so it is very free flowing. Anything in between seems to just be terrible.

This header has a very efficient flow. You may have too many restrictions that are causing these sound waves to bounce all over the place.

Well crap! I thought I was doing well, and insuring car would not be stupid loud. Seems I missed the mark somehow. Also @CSG David, what do we need to do to get this tune right for my new setup?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:20 AM   #472
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
You need a different exhaust. The stock muffler will sound nasty (rattling), but will be SUPER quiet. Like, stock quiet.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #473
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well crap! I thought I was doing well, and insuring car would not be stupid loud. Seems I missed the mark somehow. Also @CSG David, what do we need to do to get this tune right for my new setup?
Perhaps this will help?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95331
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #474
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
Yeah I've thought of that. I just don't want to have to drop a whole lot more money. I guess I can put the Corsa up for sale if I decide to go that route. My exhaust sounded really good before the header. I got loads of compliments. It sounds like a ridiculously loud Honda now. I am supremely disappointed.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #475
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You need a different exhaust. The stock muffler will sound nasty (rattling), but will be SUPER quiet. Like, stock quiet.
I don't need stock quiet. In fact, I don't want stock quiet. Like I said in my above post, it was a bit loud, but sounded very good before the header. What would be your honest recommendation for 2.5" front pipe and cat back. I must do something different. I am considering stock catback. I am also considering just putting stock manifold back on until I can afford something different. I never imagined this header would more than double my volume. I have done many headers on v8 hot rods in the past. I've even done some cat deletes among some of the more modern of them, but nothing has ever been even close to this drastic of a change. Please give me your recommendation, this setup now is going to get me arrested.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #476
kuno

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What about switching to the stock front pipe and see whether that will reduce the noise. Should be an easy swap before you start selling the catback etc

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuno For This Useful Post:
Sherb (08-14-2016)