follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
Samwise_4k86
4k Garage

Drives: Rocket Bunny V2 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LS Swap - Haltech Elite 2500 Can integration

Hi All,
Been hoping to purchase a LS Swap haltech harness from Wiring specialties but given that there's apparently been material delays on this since January i'm exploring further options.

Looking to pick up this Elite/Harness combo from Haltech, along with their WB2 Wideband kit:
https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-1...etc-dbw-ready/

wondering if anyone here has any info or experience with this, namely what is required for the Can integration in to the 86 as well as what's the best option for Throttle pedal (assuming we can't retain the 86 one, despite the can integration)
Samwise_4k86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,212 Times in 516 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You might find information by digging around the KPower K24 swap kit and the base map it comes with or emailing Haltech themselves.

There is a dropdown in Haltech for 86 CAN integration and we use the stock 86 DBW throttle body just fine, though you can probably run any normal DBW TB with your swap.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:54 AM   #3
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Seems like the Kpower jumper board and harness should work to make the stock harness and CANBUS system integrate with the LS base map and CANBUS compatibility software available from Haltech. The stock engine harness supports eight injectors for the FA20 motor. The Kpower harness and jumper board has provisions for four injectors and less the other inputs and outputs for the 2500 ECU. It seems like those wires could be run from the Kpower harness once you pin them in their connector (the 1500 and 2500 have the same connectors), and then run the new wires into the engine bay and/or into the stock harness. It might take a lot of the work out of things. I don’t know.

https://kpower.industries/collection...rd-and-harness
Old 06-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #4
Samwise_4k86
4k Garage

So update to this from myself...
Have been speaking to Haltech Aus Support (UK Support is utterly abysmal) and although it seems all the software-based infrastructure is fully there to support an easy BRZ/GT86 Can integration there is a couple of steps to carry out to get this fully functioning.

Having said that i've still not been able to fully answer my own queries.
The first of which being exactly where in the loom is best to tap in to for the Canbus integration on the 86, any ideas. Is there a Can Hi and Can Low wire going to the AC1 engine loom connector?

Secondly being how to tap in to the Throttle pedal wiring for the Haltech control, I recently found this other thread which shows off the 86/FRS Throttle pedal wiring diagram:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3372588

but this doesn't quite correlate in my totally-not-wiring-guy mind of how that matches up to the Haltech throttle pedal wiring shown here:

Can anyone connect the dots for me on this one?

Last edited by Samwise_4k86; 06-02-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
The differences between the two ECUs are dual knock vs single knock control and the 8 vs 4 injectors and ignition outputs. I don’t see any reason why everything from Kpower wouldn’t swap over from the Kpower kit to your setup. The CAN, throttle and pedal should all be able to work. In theory, if the sensor and actuator plugs were the same shape and wires then all that would be needed is to wire the remaining injectors into the stock harness because the stock engine plugs support 8 injectors, so then you would need to do a custom harness from the 2500 to the four other ignitors and whatever else is needed, or you could splice into the harness or double wrap or something.

The other thing is I don’t know if looking at the assignments for the pins from our K24 setup would help, but that is another option to maybe tease out these issues.
Old 06-04-2022, 04:07 PM   #6
Samwise_4k86
4k Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The differences between the two ECUs are dual knock vs single knock control and the 8 vs 4 injectors and ignition outputs. I don’t see any reason why everything from Kpower wouldn’t swap over from the Kpower kit to your setup. The CAN, throttle and pedal should all be able to work. In theory, if the sensor and actuator plugs were the same shape and wires then all that would be needed is to wire the remaining injectors into the stock harness because the stock engine plugs support 8 injectors, so then you would need to do a custom harness from the 2500 to the four other ignitors and whatever else is needed, or you could splice into the harness or double wrap or something.

The other thing is I don’t know if looking at the assignments for the pins from our K24 setup would help, but that is another option to maybe tease out these issues.

I see what you're saying but I personally don't see the benefit of this.
With the Haltech LS harness it's essentially Plug and play apart from having to connect the CAN Hi & Lo Wires and having to wire up the throttle pedal.

Sure the K-power setup would resolve this but then you have to mess about wiring or hooking up 4 extra injectors and coils.
It just feels like moving the problem further down the line and I think i'd much sooner just wire up the throttle pedal than screw about with Injector wiring myself.

Trying to get a K-engine solution to work with an LS just feels like a bit of a red herrings to me.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #7
Joethefo

Drives: 13 BRZ
I've got the elite 2500 in my car almost ready for startup once my engine is finally in and Ive done a ton of wiring studying both before and after purchasing it. I bought it directly from Haltech once the harness I needed (LS2 with stock injectors)was back in stock.

First off if your on the fence about buying the Haltech and harness just do it, the quality and time you'll save is well worth the price. Plus the ability for power adders or making changes to your build in the future are great.

Additionally, the Haltech customer support team are awesome, even if you have little to no knowledge of wiring I'm sure they would try their best to answer questions.

The canbus hi/lo coming directly out of the factory ecu is where I connected my Haltech to. Since the stock ecu is no longer needed and has been discarded.

A33-18 CAN2 Lo A33-19 CAN2 Hi

As far as the pedal wiring, Im planning on wiring it as below:
VC1-5v supply
VC2- 5v supply

VPA1-App 1 signal
VPA2-App 2 signal

Ground 1- Ground 1
Ground 2- Ground 2

I still need to test the pedal wiring voltage and signals to confirm this will work but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Also, for Fuel youll end up bypassing the factor brz fuel controller. As it adjusts the fuel pressure depending on certain conditions. Where as the LS engine should see 58-60 psi constantly. And depending on your fuel setup you'll end up running the haltech fuel wire directly to the pump.

Im no expert this is just what I've found in my wiring diagram studying and Haltech info.

At the end of the day, if you still struggle with the wiring Id suggest maybe finding a local haltech dealer/tuner that could install it for you. This could provide you with quality work and probably a warranty on your ecu in the event something is backwards and causes damage to it.
Joethefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
Samwise_4k86
4k Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joethefo View Post
Snipped to save space

Thats some good info, I largely came to the same conclusions recently as I finally got time to read through the wiring diagram and begin planning out my wiring.

I am also hoping to cut out the AC1 connector as I believe (with the exceptions of a few grounds) the majority of this goes to the 4 ECM connects A33, 34, 35 and 36

Here's what i've planned so far, the Can bits and the throttle are similar to what you've mentioned above but hopefully this helps you with their connector/pin/colo(u)rs.
The bits about 12v Ignition supply and Reverse lockout are just for my own reference really