follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Inter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spec-D headlights...

Hey guys, first post ever here sorry if my formatting is trash. (2013 FR-S)
Basically I bought and installed my Spec-D headlights and it went okay, I just have a couple general questions for people who've had them long term.

1.) I was hoping to see if anyone has found a LED that can fit in these? I bought some LEDs hoping they'd just pop right in but its a different type of light.
2.) After installing the lights I noticed my turn signals blink extremely fast now, Assumed I messed up the ground connection but I re-did it 2-3 times to no avail.
3.) Should I worry about fogging or yellowing of the actual housing similar to the issue from the stock one ? I was thinking of clear-coating them but I decided against it since they're brand new.

Thanks.
Inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:31 AM   #2
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
1. D2H bulb should work

2. Vaguely remember seeing someone say that when you start switching your lights to LEDs (which the spec D indicators are) then it messes up the relay signal and you need to buy a flasher relay to fix it.

https://led86.com.au/product/led-fla...elay-toyota-86

Could be wrong

3. They should have a protective coating already, but keep in mind they're cheap quality headlights so prone to cracks/ breaking. Should be fine on the fogging/ yellowing- pretty sure that's fixable anyway with headlight restoration products
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
Inter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
1. D2H bulb should work

2. Vaguely remember seeing someone say that when you start switching your lights to LEDs (which the spec D indicators are) then it messes up the relay signal and you need to buy a flasher relay to fix it.

https://led86.com.au/product/led-fla...elay-toyota-86

Could be wrong

3. They should have a protective coating already, but keep in mind they're cheap quality headlights so prone to cracks/ breaking. Should be fine on the fogging/ yellowing- pretty sure that's fixable anyway with headlight restoration products

Thank you so much ! I remember one of my friends mentioning a flasher relay. I'll look into installing that, appreciate the response !
Old 06-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter View Post
Thank you so much ! I remember one of my friends mentioning a flasher relay. I'll look into installing that, appreciate the response !
Leds have less electrical resistance so it makes the flow of the system Faster. Diode dynamics make a relay to correct this, and for 20 bucks more or something you can get one that strobes your turn signals when you want to show off your car or something. As for yellowing/fading, just buy a 15 dollar 3M headlight restoration kit 4 years from now if they fade, dont kill yourself trying to protect them. Welcome to the crew
Old 06-17-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
Leds have less electrical resistance so it makes the flow of the system Faster.
this isn't correct at all. the oem flasher modules base their flash rate on a specific expected current consumption.

led's draw less current than incandescent bulbs, and so because they draw less current, they fall below the expected threshold that the oem flasher relay expects, so it flashes fast to warn of a bulb out that's not actually out.
HaXx (06-20-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey guys, first post ever here sorry if my formatting is trash. (2013 FR-S)
Basically I bought and installed my Spec-D headlights and it went okay, I just have a couple general questions for people who've had them long term.

1.) I was hoping to see if anyone has found a LED that can fit in these? I bought some LEDs hoping they'd just pop right in but its a different type of light.
2.) After installing the lights I noticed my turn signals blink extremely fast now, Assumed I messed up the ground connection but I re-did it 2-3 times to no avail.
3.) Should I worry about fogging or yellowing of the actual housing similar to the issue from the stock one ? I was thinking of clear-coating them but I decided against it since they're brand new.

Thanks.

Spec-D Owner here for about 3-4 years now.

D2S Bulb fits without the metal spacer. Stock projector is hot garbage anyways and I replaced them finally. Retrofitted in some new morimoto's and they're great.

Not sure if they still have that weird purple boomerang but I replaced that too while I had it apart with a white LED strip, there is a guide on here.

Soundman98 is right. LED's produce less current draw. So the car "thinks" one of the bulbs is out and flashes quickly to compensate. This happens to almost every car especially if you replace regular bulbs with LED. Need to get a flasher relay that plugs in under the steering wheel area.

My headlights started peeling after a year or two. I just buy a new clearcoat kit every year.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
Inter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
Leds have less electrical resistance so it makes the flow of the system Faster. Diode dynamics make a relay to correct this, and for 20 bucks more or something you can get one that strobes your turn signals when you want to show off your car or something. As for yellowing/fading, just buy a 15 dollar 3M headlight restoration kit 4 years from now if they fade, dont kill yourself trying to protect them. Welcome to the crew
Thanks brother glad to be here, I installed the flasher Relay today and it worked great !
The Following User Says Thank You to Inter For This Useful Post:
HaXx (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks brother glad to be here, I installed the flasher Relay today and it worked great !
Glad the flasher relay fixed it, strange you had to do it in your Spec D's and I didn't need to in my VLANDs or valenti side markers
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket, fogging, led, lighting, specd