follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #57
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just found Jay Leno's Garage trim and tire lotion past few weeks. So far so good, but no comment on longevity. I put it on my wife's truck, '08 Chevy2500HD with copious fading and it's snapped it back into looking great. But again, we'll see if it lasts. It did seem to bring some oxidation off the plastic when using it as I have several microfiber towels now discolored from using it.

It has some nano tech on the label, not sure what that is, may be silicone based. But it doesn't shine the tires up like silicone type product. It just appears to clean them well and leave a clean matte looking appearance, which I like. Not a fan of glossy tires over here is all. Did same thing on the tires too in regards to leaving black on my wipe, but even worse than the trim in the interest of full disclosure.

It did a better job than the Turtle Wax trim restorer (messy and sticky) or Chemical Guys spray on Black on Black. The CG spray is nice for the grill as wiping that thing down adequately is impossible. These worked well, just didn't last. If I had to pick one though, it'd be Chemical Guys, if the Jay Leno product doesn't last, since the spray on application is just so quick and easy relative to using some lotion product.

Lotion type products have me completely ignoring the OEM grill being it's so complex to clean with a rag. Maybe a rotary tip foam cone or something would help. But, TBH, I'm too lazy for that and my time is worth to much to me to labor over that damn thing with a rag when I can finish it in 30 seconds with a spray product every two or three washes.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #58
tarzan_nojane

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Meguire's Ultimate Black was easy to apply and has lasted for more than a year in the desert southwest.
tarzan_nojane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarzan_nojane For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (08-13-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 07:58 PM   #59
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
A month on the Jay Leno Garage Tire and Trim care product sitting out in our hot summer weather in Oregon this year. Holding up better than the rest mentioned (chem guys/turtlewax) so I ordered more. We used some on the truck interior bits like the plastic dash and door panels. Does a good job with the antistatic properties as well. Repels the dog hair better than expected, bit shiny too, not terrible. Or that's what the dash is supposed to look like new, it does look good, but has a sheen to it. I'll keep it off my FRS dash

Last edited by jeepmor; 04-03-2022 at 09:02 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #60
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I used trim shine from stoner and it works quite well

https://www.amazon.com/Stoner-Car-Ca...806408&sr=8-22
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #61
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Gyeon Cure, works well and doesn't give that obnoxious shine.

Turtle wax trim restorer works well also. Gives a deep black and glossy appearance. And you can even wipe it down to remove some shine/glossiness.
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:59 AM   #62
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Try Griots garage ceramic trim. It restore and protect
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:42 AM   #63
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat! It only costs about $20 & you have several packets to coat trims of other vehicles. It instantly brings it back to black. It's been almost a year that I've applied it on my plastics & trims (windshield cowl, bumper grills, fog light cover, mud flaps, side mirror, rear bumper) & they still look rich black. I've tried many crea/gel type trim restorers but they can't just beat the protection & good looks of ceramic coating.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (04-03-2022)