follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
MAPerformance

Old 01-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
sweetfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Malperformance Catch Can install

I have the Malperformance catch can but having alittle difficulty understanding how to install. any one down to help? The install instructions are on the youtube video for their turbo kit install - [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxqdb6oArIg"]Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ MAPerformance Turbo Kit Install | Part 2 - YouTube[/ame] it starts at 4:30 thx guys!
sweetfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfrs View Post
I have the Malperformance catch can but having alittle difficulty understanding how to install. any one down to help? The install instructions are on the youtube video for their turbo kit install -
it starts at 4:30 thx guys!

If you need help the best bet is to contact
@MAPerformance

I have no doubt they can help you as there customer service is quite good
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
YIKES ....... I see what you mean ...... they talk fast ..........

I'd give them a call and ask them to talk you through the install.

humfrz

PS, oh ..... I type soooo slow ......
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:47 AM   #4
sweetfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
If you need help the best bet is to contact
@MAPerformance

I have no doubt they can help you as there customer service is quite good
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
YIKES ....... I see what you mean ...... they talk fast ..........

I'd give them a call and ask them to talk you through the install.

humfrz

PS, oh ..... I type soooo slow ......

oh no i know they have awesome customer service. best I've personally seen from any shop! they forwarded me to the video, i just thought you guys would know
Old 01-30-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfrs View Post
oh no i know they have awesome customer service. best I've personally seen from any shop! they forwarded me to the video, i just thought you guys would know

All I know is that that's the trouble hose people had issues with crawford BPBs coming lose its on the top of the manifold on the left side after you remove the FA20 cover.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I made a really sh*tty bitmap that simplifies the hose routing.

Once the MAPerformance can is installed, your PCV system no longer connects to the engine anywhere.

Remove the old PCV check valve from the top of the rear passenger side of the engine, make sure to pound the check valve out of it, then reinstall it. The original PCV line runs from rear of block to rear of intake. It will now run from rear of block to the passenger side catch can, leaving the intake manifold port unused. That port needs to route to the BOV with a hose, or if you don't have the turbo, it must be capped and clamped or you will have bad running problems.

The original CCV line (front of block behind A/C compressor) used to connect to the intake hose upstream of the throttle body, it will now run under the intake manifold and connect to the driver's side catch can.

On the subject of lines connected to the intake manifold, Make sure you clamp the EVAP purge solenoid line (underneath the intake manifold.) in place. If you do not, it will pop off under boost, and you will have starting/idling/running issues.

The video instructions say "power steering pump" when they should say "Air Conditioning compressor" but you get the point. That should clear up some location confusion. Everybody makes mistakes.

This is a VTA can; it deletes the original pcv system entirely. Your tune will need to compensate for that, as the old tune accounts for airflow through the PCV into the engine under vacuum.
Attached Images

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus

Last edited by Spartarus; 01-30-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
sweetfrs (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
sweetfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
I made a really sh*tty bitmap that simplifies the hose routing.

Once the MAPerformance can is installed, your PCV system no longer connects to the engine anywhere.

Remove the old PCV check valve from the top of the rear passenger side of the engine, make sure to pound the check valve out of it, then reinstall it. The original PCV line runs from rear of block to rear of intake. It will now run from rear of block to the passenger side catch can, leaving the intake manifold port unused. That port needs to route to the BOV with a hose, or if you don't have the turbo, it must be capped and clamped or you will have bad running problems.

The original CCV line (front of block behind A/C compressor) used to connect to the intake hose upstream of the throttle body, it will now run under the intake manifold and connect to the driver's side catch can.

On the subject of lines connected to the intake manifold, Make sure you clamp the EVAP purge solenoid line (underneath the intake manifold.) in place. If you do not, it will pop off under boost, and you will have starting/idling/running issues.

The video instructions say "power steering pump" when they should say "Air Conditioning compressor" but you get the point. That should clear up some location confusion. Everybody makes mistakes.

This is a VTA can; it deletes the original pcv system entirely. Your tune will need to compensate for that, as the old tune accounts for airflow through the PCV into the engine under vacuum.
Thank you very much!!!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
MAPerformance

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sorry! I just saw this thread now! Did you get it figured out? If not, I can get one of my techs on the phone for you. Just let me know.
MAPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAPerformance For This Useful Post:
sweetfrs (02-03-2016)