follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2022, 01:41 AM   #15
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The tire type itself makes the most difference IMO. More than weight and sidewall (within reason).

I always caution against ultra-light wheels if your roads are extra crap because wheels can and do bend.

- Andrew
This.

My BMW X1 with the sport package came with 225/45/19 Bridgestone Potenza Summer tires.
They are a stiff hard riding tire.

We switched them out with Continental ExtremeContact DWS UHP All seasons for winter and they are noticeably WAY softer.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:09 AM   #16
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought my 1st gen 86 with Gramlights 57C6 in 18x7,5 with 225/40/18 PSSs (which looked amazing). Later switched back to the stock wheels & tires and definitely felt a difference in:

-noise level
-harshness (per my GF - "it's less unpleasant when you need to pee")
-agility and fun, but that's probably down to the lower grip tire

I never put the gramlights back on.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:51 AM   #17
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
That plus you will throw off speedometer and slower acceleration with larger diameter tire.

Yep its all about the weight. Especially on the outside perimeter. On a 17 the weight of the barrel is pulled in closer.
Isn't the OEM 17's heavier than the 18's?

Just remember this from C&D. It is the BRZ 18 vs the GR86 17, but I assume those weights are the same for each car.

I would of though compound and sidewall stiffness is that primary changes to the ride (all other things equal).
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:11 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
I would of though compound and sidewall stiffness is that primary changes to the ride (all other things equal).
Put 1 bar of air into a 1 liter container and 1 bar of air into a 2 liter container. Compress the sides of each container 25mm. Are they going to have the same pressure in the compressed state?
Old 08-14-2022, 11:05 PM   #19
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The tire type itself makes the most difference IMO. More than weight and sidewall (within reason).

I always caution against ultra-light wheels if your roads are extra crap because wheels can and do bend.

- Andrew
Yep. More performance oriented you go, the stiffer and stiffer the sidewalls get to aid in performance and turn in.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #20
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Put 1 bar of air into a 1 liter container and 1 bar of air into a 2 liter container. Compress the sides of each container 25mm. Are they going to have the same pressure in the compressed state?
Can I take a guess without googling I wonder?

There is probably some physics here about thickness of the wall, its own ability to compress, and the relative compressibility of a larger area of air vs a smaller one vs the amount you are trying to compress - but certainly 1 bar is still one bar pushing back on you - and the lower the pressure of the air inside, the more that pressure would define the overall effect - as things like the wall would be more relatively firm and therefore only come into the equation when the pressure needed to overcome the air pressure start to get high enough that there is also a difference in the compressibility of the wall.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #21
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Can I take a guess without googling I wonder?

There is probably some physics here about thickness of the wall, its own ability to compress, and the relative compressibility of a larger area of air vs a smaller one vs the amount you are trying to compress - but certainly 1 bar is still one bar pushing back on you - and the lower the pressure of the air inside, the more that pressure would define the overall effect - as things like the wall would be more relatively firm and therefore only come into the equation when the pressure needed to overcome the air pressure start to get high enough that there is also a difference in the compressibility of the wall.
The better way to illustrate this principle is a piston/cylinder like those plastic "flavor injectors" for cooking. Basically a syringe with a removeable needle.

Take the needle off, pull the plunger out as far as it will go. The seal the end with your thumb and push the plunger in as far as you can without breaking the seal.

Repeat, but this time start with the plunger in the middle.

The larger the starting volume the more compression it takes to equal the input force (assuming all other variables are constant).

Of course applying this to tires/suspension means you're almost certainly changing at LEAST one other variable in every given experiment, which muddies the waters considerably.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #22
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
The better way to illustrate this principle is a piston/cylinder like those plastic "flavor injectors" for cooking. Basically a syringe with a removeable needle.

Take the needle off, pull the plunger out as far as it will go. The seal the end with your thumb and push the plunger in as far as you can without breaking the seal.

Repeat, but this time start with the plunger in the middle.

The larger the starting volume the more compression it takes to equal the input force (assuming all other variables are constant).

Of course applying this to tires/suspension means you're almost certainly changing at LEAST one other variable in every given experiment, which muddies the waters considerably.
Yeah, it isn't the only factor, but it is one. Given all things equal, they still are not going to be exactly equal.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:39 AM   #23
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tires being equal, more sidewall = more comfort. Less harshness over small bumps imo. More sidewall protects the rim too. I run 225/55 R16 on street.

See if you can get a ride in someone's car with decent 17's
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote