follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #99
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No alignment then? What does firestone charge for spring/strut installs, just curious. I have not had good luck at chain stores in general.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #100
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Only the rear was aligned but not to what I wanted it, tech(a complete moron) couldn't align front because he couldn't reach the front camber bolts, some how he said he adjusted toe correctly though(he didn't). I installed the parts myself, Firestone just fucked up the alignment and bumper for a total of $9X. Oh yeah, I have him on video blasting around the parking lot after the alignment saying my car sounds like shit too(bushing inserts, lots of NVH from trans and diff).
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #101
Decep

Good alignment shops can be so hard to find. I had one that thought +/- 0.5 degree difference in toe across 2 front wheels was fine, i had another that couldn't get the steering wheel straight and blamed the local roads' crown (lol). Finally found a specialty space nearby with the inside of it being like a japanese hobby store from the 90s, and an old Japanese dude who really knew what he was doing and got everything dialed down no problem, no grief about adjustable aftermarket parts etc, for the same price everyone else was charging to "hit the numbers in the green"
Old 08-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #102
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
Only the rear was aligned but not to what I wanted it, tech(a complete moron) couldn't align front because he couldn't reach the front camber bolts, some how he said he adjusted toe correctly though(he didn't). I installed the parts myself, Firestone just fucked up the alignment and bumper for a total of $9X. Oh yeah, I have him on video blasting around the parking lot after the alignment saying my car sounds like shit too(bushing inserts, lots of NVH from trans and diff).

Warning, the front springs on my set took 4 weeks to settle almost a full inch (no joke.) This was the only issue I've experienced with them. Still, that means if you align now (and yours are like mine), you'll most likely need another one in a month.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #103
Trueweltall

Well I finally got a decent alignment done(without them curbing my front bumper!), that was a long wait. The tech knew his stuff and put up with me insisting on certain camber and toe angles. I am not unhappy with the Showa suspension but if I did it all over again I would have gotten coilovers at this point, mainly due to the room between the body of the car and the sway bar endlinks, and the room from the tire to the spring. I could not run anywhere near as much camber as I wanted after getting top hats(only at -1.4, end link is almost rubbing body). The ride is firmer than stock, it's noticeable and it doesn't beat you up, car feels more planted in a corner. Honestly went into this thinking I didn't need all the adjustable stuff and by the end of it realized I was wrong, once these wear out I am going to pick up some Tein coilovers and call it a day.

Also don't bother asking Showa for instructions, these kits are "Japan only" in their eyes and they don't want to help or support people in another country.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trueweltall For This Useful Post:
Horrid_Funk (08-13-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #104
Decep

camber only -1.4? I have 2017 OEM springs (aka 4x4 stance) with spc camber bolts and my alignment tech got almost -2.0 degrees in the front for me.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #105
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Some people are saying that you don't really need suspension adjustability, but after owing for a year a set of coilovers I can say that even a 1-way option adjustability is quite useful. Not all roads are the same and it is nice to have the extra damping when joining a race track or when you want to drive more aggressive on ordinary roads. On the other occasions you change the damping to soft and you have comfort that is even better than the factory. Another thing people don't realize is the difference of buying a suspension that was imported instead of buying one that was manufactured locally. The imported product no matter if it was imported directly by the customer or a vendor will cost more because of the extra shipping costs, import costs, additional taxes etc. As mentioned also above if something happens or the customer wants extra guidance, the manufacturer will not care much since the product is considered to be basically "Japan only". I had a similar experience in the past and I imported a JDM suspension for my Forester, but I decided to not do the same for the BRZ. For less money I got a much better German suspension with adjustability and it was much easier to get also the certification.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #106
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
Well I finally got a decent alignment done(without them curbing my front bumper!), that was a long wait. The tech knew his stuff and put up with me insisting on certain camber and toe angles. I am not unhappy with the Showa suspension but if I did it all over again I would have gotten coilovers at this point, mainly due to the room between the body of the car and the sway bar endlinks, and the room from the tire to the spring. I could not run anywhere near as much camber as I wanted after getting top hats(only at -1.4, end link is almost rubbing body). The ride is firmer than stock, it's noticeable and it doesn't beat you up, car feels more planted in a corner. Honestly went into this thinking I didn't need all the adjustable stuff and by the end of it realized I was wrong, once these wear out I am going to pick up some Tein coilovers and call it a day.

Also don't bother asking Showa for instructions, these kits are "Japan only" in their eyes and they don't want to help or support people in another country.
I bring back this old thread just to ask you how your Showa Evolution behave after so long time.

Are the same comfortable with the factory suspension, do they hold well compared with Bilstein or Sachs tS suspension (if you have driven a tS), and generally what is your opinion about them?

I prefer them from tS suspension cause they advertise them for comfort, at least they share similar dual flow valve system with Ohlins DFV and KONI FSD that have fast/slow suspension bump for uneven roads...

By the way you are more lowered than what Showa suggests for your model year, why?

Last edited by JIM THEO; 09-09-2018 at 08:29 PM.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #107
Trueweltall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
camber only -1.4? I have 2017 OEM springs (aka 4x4 stance) with spc camber bolts and my alignment tech got almost -2.0 degrees in the front for me.
Front end links are stock, not adjustable. Anymore negative camber than that and it will smash into the chassis. Down the road I will get adjustable end links and run more camber but right now it gets the job done.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:17 PM   #108
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
bringing back an old thread, but I'm about to reactivate my sponsor account and blow out some old stock of the Showa Tuning spring/shock kits.

great upgrade for those of you that bought a used car and want a decent refresh for street use.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #109
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
in case people are interested, clearing out inventory:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3556819
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
venturaII (01-04-2023)