follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2022, 03:59 PM   #43
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And everybody may as well get used to the fact that the rest of the world (including the other States) are all headed down the same road. California is just leading the charge.
finally someone who understands that conforming to California standards now is gonna save everyone else a huge headache down the road

Manufacturers have already gone from making two different versions of the car for the USA down to just making the California version because it complies with every other state and simplifies selling cars between states

Plus, for those living in california, a car that is all CARB legal and is making good power is just that much nicer. it holds A LOT more value and a much higher level of respect because the owner went through the trouble of keeping things legal.

for anyone worried about the California legality of this mod.. you dont have to. ive never once seen a smog tech open up a stock airbox during any smog check. California smog really isnt as bad as people make it seem.

hell even the tech at the state referee didn't open up the airbox in my golf when i was state ref'd

ill check the smog compliance sticker under the hood when i get a chance later today. if there is any mention of a charcoal filter in the intake system, then the tech should technically open up the airbox and peek at it. If there isnt anything mentioned, then the chances of your car failing because you removed that charcoal filter has gone out the door and you can remove it freely.

Last edited by mycrors7; 07-14-2022 at 05:21 PM.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #44
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Some states don't have as much industrial pollution so vehicle emissions aren't as critical.
We all breathe the same air. A lower population density doesn't absolve each individual of the contribution. While I feel that industrial pollution should be equally regulated, I disagree with the argument.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
We all breathe the same air. A lower population density doesn't absolve each individual of the contribution. While I feel that industrial pollution should be equally regulated, I disagree with the argument.
Industrial pollution is rapidly being more controlled than car emissions and has been for a while. It just isn't as obvious as car regulations because it doesn't impact individuals. It is behind the scenes so people ignore it.
Ultramaroon (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #46
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Some states don't have as much industrial pollution so vehicle emissions aren't as critical.
https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...-ghg-emissions
Old 07-14-2022, 05:18 PM   #47
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
There's no argument to disagree with. States which are able to meet air quality standards without overly restricting vehicle emissions don't need to over focus on vehicle emissions. Air quality is defined as a whole.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 05:19 PM   #48
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
finally someone who understands that confirming to California standards now is gonna save everyone else a huge headache down the road

Manufacturers have already gone from making two different versions of the car for the USA down to just making the California version because it complies with every other state and simplifies selling cars between states

Plus, for those living in california, a car that is all CARB legal and is making good power is just that much nicer. it holds A LOT more value and a much higher level of respect because the owner went through the trouble of keeping things legal.

for anyone worried about the California legality of this mod.. you dont have to. ive never once seen a smog tech open up a stock airbox during any smog check. California smog really isnt as bad as people make it seem.

hell even the tech at the state referee didn't open up the airbox in my golf when i was state ref'd

ill check the smog compliance sticker under the hood when i get a chance later today. if there is any mention of a charcoal filter in the intake system, then the tech should technically open up the airbox and peek at it. If there isnt anything mentioned, then the chances of your car failing because you removed that charcoal filter has gone out the door and you can remove it freely.
as a follow up, the MY2022 emissions label for a California BRZ checks the following:

(2)TWC : three way Catalyst ; basically the cat on the headers and the cat on the front pipe. both must meet EPA requirements. California cars must use CARB legal cats and have a visible EO number stamped on the cat itself.

WR-HO2S : wide-range heated oxygen sensor (pre-cat)

HO2S : heated oxygen sensor (post-cat)

SFI : Sequential Fuel Injection

DFI: Direct Fuel Injection

there is no mention of any charcoal filter required. you can pull the charcoal filter out of a California car and it will pass smog legally in California
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:58 PM   #49
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Only on this forum can someone go through the effort of getting and providing numbers for people to argue the numbers without contributing data themselves.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
CaptainFenderbaum (08-08-2022), Tokay444 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #50
quikag

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT - Ignition Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I removed the charcoal filter in less than one minute last night. Popped those two clips, rotated the airbox, jammed a knife through the charcoal mesh, stuck my fingers through the hole from the knife and ripped out the filter out. A few pellets of charcoal fell out and I just rotated the box, so they fell to the ground before aligning the airbox and flipping the two clips again.

So, results? I felt AT LEAST a 2hp difference and engine seems to rev more eagerly. I definitely got much more than my money's worth on this mod.
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quikag For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #51
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Only on this forum can someone go through the effort of getting and providing numbers for people to argue the numbers without contributing data themselves.
Only on any car forum will people fall for clickbait video titles and think they are getting far more than they really do.

BUT I SAW IT ON THE INTERNET
OkieSnuffBox (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #52
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Only on any car forum will people fall for clickbait video titles and think they are getting far more than they really do.

BUT I SAW IT ON THE INTERNET
Or thinking that 5-10whp is within the noise of error on a 200ish hp dyno. Its used to be 1-3hp, then it was 4-6hp now we are up to 10hp of noise error. Need to keep on moving that goal post to be right and all.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #53
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Or thinking that 5-10whp is within the noise of error on a 200ish hp dyno. Its used to be 1-3hp, then it was 4-6hp now we are up to 10hp of noise error. Need to keep on moving that goal post to be right and all.
Can be even more depending on the unit. This is not breaking news.

You keep in believing what you want to believe though.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-dyno-numbers/
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...meter-designs/

Last edited by Tcoat; 07-15-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:06 AM   #54
Ogt

Drives: ‘13 AT FRS
Just for fun, I understand Tcoat wants to die on this hill about it not being real for whatever reason. It’s repeatable results and was 3x times very consistent. So each run that decreased with heatsoak did so while still maintaining the 4-5peak gain? Clickbaity sure but still on the curve is there UP TO a 10whp gain. And to say that’s worthless and false because it’s not absolute peak seems as similar as saying “well the famed torque dip doesnt matter cuz peak”
Ogt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ogt For This Useful Post:
CincyJohn (07-15-2022), DylanJZA (07-22-2022), Tokay444 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #55
Ogt

Drives: ‘13 AT FRS
Yeah is 5-10 going to be noticeable? Off paper no lol.. but still the fact remains it’s available right here&now, free, and in combination of tuning and whatever other bolt ons you want.. could add up to 30? That you could notice.

If all else you’re still ignoring the concept showing how well the stock system does flow without it and how that could effectively make aftermarket intakes a terrible *value*
Ogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #56
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogt View Post
Yeah is 5-10 going to be noticeable? Off paper no lol.. but still the fact remains it’s available right here&now, free, and in combination of tuning and whatever other bolt ons you want.. could add up to 30? That you could notice.

If all else you’re still ignoring the concept showing how well the stock system does flow without it and how that could effectively make aftermarket intakes a terrible *value*
And saying "up to" as a qualifier is just a cop out. Could be .0001HP and that means it is "up to" 10.
Removing a thin carbon filter does NOT give you 10HP as the video states end of story.
I have already said several times that the stock set up is excellent and aftermarket is not required but that is all ignored because everybody is so focused on the fact I simply stated there was no 10HP gain to be had.
But everybody is welcome to pretend that it does magically make 10 if it makes them feel better.