follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2022, 06:50 AM   #15
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Are you able to make a recording of the noise?
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #16
Robotaz

Drives: 2022 GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Are you able to make a recording of the noise?

Good idea. I’ll try today. I suspect you’ll just hear typical rubber on asphalt road noise, and not the tone that howls, but I’ll try.
Robotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #17
Robotaz

Premium Michelin Pilot 4 noise

I wonder if dynamat everywhere I can put it up front will absorb a mysterious resonant sound I’m just really tuned into or something. I’m really surprised nobody is dealing with this. I guess it’s a good thing. It’s either the Michelins which will get fixed when I put on Contis, or it’s bearings. There nothing else that can do it. Or, it could be typical of the car and I need to get smaller wheels and fatter tires? Maybe dynamat the whole front?

I actually love this car and don’t mind normal road noise from cheap sports cars. It’s the tone that I can hear at all times.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:47 AM   #18
sds

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT
It’s the tires and the fact that the car has essentially no sound deadening. I too was shocked. There’s a thread in the 2nd gen BRZ subforum.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sds For This Useful Post:
Robotaz (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #19
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
1st gen had lots of road noise from tires, not expecting anything different for gen 2. Get a louder exhaust or install a subwoofer and drown out the noise if it really bothers you. Otherwise yea probably not best car for ya.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #20
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Not sure if there are vids of applying sound deadening for the 2nd gen, but its definitely something you will find for first gen.

Both gens in this car are all about making it your own and what you want, so absolutely make it be the car you want and add sound deadening. Down the track you can get some forged wheels or something if you want to claw back the few pounds that you are going to add. Enjoy the modification part of the car!
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
Robotaz (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 07:58 PM   #21
Robotaz

I took the car on some amazing roads and drove around an amazing 26,000 acre state park today and the car is awesome. I’m convinced it’s tires and that the most logical solution is to start applying dynamat and see what happens. Because it really resonates in specific areas of the cabin and not others, I’m pretty sure some sound deadening will stop what I’m hearing. I think it’s just resonance in metal surfaces and that dynamat will stop it. It’s not typical tire noise. It really sounds like superposition of random resonances.

I’m going to start applying it in simple areas to access and go from there. If I get results I’ll follow up.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:35 AM   #22
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
I started with the PS4 and switched to the A/S 4 today and still same noise.
That means it's NOT the tires. The A/S 4 and PS4 are quite different in terms of sound.

Why would you keep trying new tires at this point?

Either there's another, mechanical issue (i.e. wheel bearing) or the NVH of this car does not suit you.

I would rule out mechanical issues before doing anything else suggested (e.g. adding sound deadening or disconnecting the sound generator). You don't want a mechanical sound to turn into a mechanical failure.

Can you isolate the noise from the engine? Meaning, if you push in the clutch while at speed (letting the engine drop to idle while the car is still moving) does the sound change?
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:29 AM   #23
autosenses

Drives: 22 Raven 86, 19 STI, 15MK7 SE daily
I just posted on another thread about this. My 2019 STI has the exact same rear trunk layout to the new BRZ/GR. If you take the rear trunk trim out you will realize that the noise/frequency you are experiencing is replicated (if not mechanical issue). The sheet metal back there is thin and the vibrates with the exhaust. I laid simple sound deadening and it improved it.

Last edited by autosenses; 03-10-2022 at 06:18 AM.
autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #24
Robotaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2100 View Post
That means it's NOT the tires. The A/S 4 and PS4 are quite different in terms of sound.

Why would you keep trying new tires at this point?

Either there's another, mechanical issue (i.e. wheel bearing) or the NVH of this car does not suit you.

I would rule out mechanical issues before doing anything else suggested (e.g. adding sound deadening or disconnecting the sound generator). You don't want a mechanical sound to turn into a mechanical failure.

Can you isolate the noise from the engine? Meaning, if you push in the clutch while at speed (letting the engine drop to idle while the car is still moving) does the sound change?

It is resonant noise indirectly caused by tires, and changing tires doesn’t effect it. It’s not mechanical as in moving parts malfunctioning. It’s noise traveling through panels and other metallic objects. Appears to be normal, but annoying.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:06 PM   #25
dave99rt

Drives: '22 BRZ
I would try rotating the tires to see if the sound moves.

You could also take it somewhere and have them put it on a Road Force balancer.
That won't be free. You might as well take to the Toyota dealer and see if they will do it for free.
It could have a hard spot or something else going on.

I had a new, 2014 Ram truck with 20" tires. It would vibrate at ~65 mph. I had the tires Road Force balanced at my work (Kia dealer). Three tires were below 10, one was low 20s. We rotated the tire on the wheel and got it down slightly, but it had a bad/hard spot.

I could have probably gone to a Ram dealer and requested them to file a manufacturer claim on the tire. Never got around to it and traded for a BRZ.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:51 PM   #26
Robotaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99rt View Post
I would try rotating the tires to see if the sound moves.

You could also take it somewhere and have them put it on a Road Force balancer.
That won't be free. You might as well take to the Toyota dealer and see if they will do it for free.
It could have a hard spot or something else going on.

I had a new, 2014 Ram truck with 20" tires. It would vibrate at ~65 mph. I had the tires Road Force balanced at my work (Kia dealer). Three tires were below 10, one was low 20s. We rotated the tire on the wheel and got it down slightly, but it had a bad/hard spot.

I could have probably gone to a Ram dealer and requested them to file a manufacturer claim on the tire. Never got around to it and traded for a BRZ.

I’m assuming you just read the first post. Rotating and changing tire types and brands isn’t changing the noise. It’s noise in the body, chassis, and other various metallic components apparently.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:17 AM   #27
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
If changing tires doesn’t affect it, it’s pretty safe to say it’s not caused by the tires then.

If you want to find out if it’s the fenders having significant mass participation in some specific resonant frequency, you could tape some mass loaded vinyl to the inside of the fender and see if it changes. Easily undone if you use the right adhesive.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:26 AM   #28
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
Well the new tires did nothing. I have no dealer in town either.

I’d like to drive another one and see if it’s “normal”. If it is, I am sure I’ll end up trading it. I can’t stand the howling noise all the time. Maybe it’s a bearing, but I can’t imagine changing surfaces affecting it.
Why not try takin' her out on a drifting mission (get a drift vision quest brewing), turn that rubber into black roadway soup ..... shave a layer off , then maybe it'll sound better.

Just an idea