follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #71
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nl View Post
So OP thinks being being able to feel the torque dip makes you a princess, but apparently it's super manly to be sad because your engine isn't pretty looking...

It's too bad about the 987 and 981...terrible little cars, cause of their ugly, stupid flat engines...it just looks like...a box of parts just thrown together
Shit!
You know what that looks like?

daiheadjai (07-06-2015), frsvr4 (07-06-2015), stugray (07-03-2015), wbradley (07-04-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #72
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
My god... that's an amazing looking car!!!! Any vid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
For me this is
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59dHABgEAIw"]Best of Subaru Impreza WRC97-2000 tarmac action - with pure engine sounds - YouTube[/ame]

Boxer engine sound so~~~~~~~~~~~ amazing when it mix with tires squealing, BOV, Anti-lag, dirt/pebble hitting fender & ppl cheering. To me, that shows what boxer engine is made out of!

...but everyone have their own opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Shit!
You know what that looks like?

Really? Your pic reminds me of this engine lol

& btw, if anyone who doesn't know, that's boxer engine by Ferrari (H12). They try to make it great boxer engine... but they didn't get near good as Porsche or even Subaru (IMO).
Old 07-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #73
ic-racer

Drives: frs 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Reading a thread on the GRM board on FRS ownership. While the joys of driving are unanimous, the lack of love for the boxer is pretty strong from those that own the car.

So, I thought to bring the question over to FRS central...Would you prefer that the Twins had a non-boxter engine?

My unjustified opinion after 3 years is that I wont ever buy another car with a Subaru engine. Not that it has done me bad, but I just dont like it and time is not making me any fonder.

And before anyone spews chapter and verse from The Book of Subaru about CG being ruined: don't bother because unless you move the engine to the roof, the difference would not be noticeable.
Boxer engine is one of the main selling points for me. One-third of the engine in my other car (which is really just an upgraded Berlinetta Boxer with red cam covers).
ic-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #74
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I wouldn't have bought this car if it didn't have a Boxer e gine. This is exactly the engine I wanted... 200hp, high-strung Subaru 2-liter with direct injection, timing chain and a top mounted oil filter.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #75
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think a 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4L Inline 4 would have been ideal and would have provided plenty of room for double arm suspension.

I'm not the biggest fan of the FA20, and while I know I've been spoiled by Hondas engines over the years, the FA20 seems very unrefined. The 200HP is plenty of power for me but the NVH of this engine, the layout and power delivery are below expectations along with the silly go-forward-before-you-go-back header layout (but I understand packaging restrictions). Folks can go on and on about the CoG but an inline 4 with proper double arm suspension would be superior to this.

I too bought this car despite the engine.
AsianStyle (07-03-2015), frsvr4 (07-06-2015), NOHOME (07-03-2015), Vracer111 (07-03-2015), WolfpackS2k (07-25-2018)
Old 07-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #76
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I think a 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4L Inline 4 would have been ideal and would have provided plenty of room for double arm suspension.

I'm not the biggest fan of the FA20, and while I know I've been spoiled by Hondas engines over the years, the FA20 seems very unrefined. The 200HP is plenty of power for me but the NVH of this engine, the layout and power delivery are below expectations along with the silly go-forward-before-you-go-back header layout (but I understand packaging restrictions). Folks can go on and on about the CoG but an inline 4 with proper double arm suspension would be superior to this.

I too bought this car despite the engine.
I don't agree with all of OPs points (don't think the flat layout is what the issue is), but I agree just like you, I got the car despite its engine.

I find it ridiculous that the OP gets attacked for having his own opinion. I think I made a similar post awhile back where I explicitly stated I love the car and can't think of any other car I would rather buy, but I don't like the engine.

Then somehow I got attacked by the hordes and was called a troll, when I have been a contributing member of the forums for the last 3 years of ownership. So, strange given the fact that the majority of other car enthusiast and media members have shared the same opinion as the OP.

Some earlier said this has been discussed over and over again, but in actuality it usually just turned more into insults to people who share OP's opinion than a real discussion. A horde mentality that the fa20 is the best engine and you are wrong to think otherwise.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsianStyle For This Useful Post:
frsvr4 (07-06-2015), NOHOME (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #77
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
I don't agree with all of OPs points (don't think the flat layout is what the issue is), but I agree just like you, I got the car despite its engine.

I find it ridiculous that the OP gets attacked for having his own opinion. I think I made a similar post awhile back where I explicitly stated I love the car and can't think of any other car I would rather buy, but I don't like the engine.

Then somehow I got attacked by the hordes and was called a troll, when I have been a contributing member of the forums for the last 3 years of ownership. So, strange given the fact that the majority of other car enthusiast and media members have shared the same opinion as the OP.

Some earlier said this has been discussed over and over again, but in actuality it usually just turned more into insults to people who share OP's opinion than a real discussion. A horde mentality that the fa20 is the best engine and you are wrong to think otherwise.

When posting on this forum, you need to keep in mind that for many this is their first new car or the attainment of a dream. Most things that are not flattering to the marque are treated as personal attacks. Just the nature of the beast, been here since the cars came out and I don't expect anything will ever change.

Last edited by NOHOME; 07-03-2015 at 02:54 PM.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #78
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
with the silly go-forward-before-you-go-back .
I always assumed that the "go forward before" part of that was only to make installing a turbo easier for the consumer.

My other boxers dont "go forward before going back".

Yeah and Boxer engines suck. Those Testarossa engineers were clueless.

Last edited by stugray; 07-03-2015 at 02:54 PM.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #79
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
I find it ridiculous that the OP gets attacked for having his own opinion.
He wasn't attacked for having an opinion.

At first he was attacked for expressing that opinion like a jackass. When you start out implying that the car doesn't have a "real" engine in it, you're just begging to be smacked down. Then he was attacked for getting all butt-hurt when people didn't agree with him.

In other words, he threw the first punch, and now he's crying because people hit back. Nothing more than a fucking troll.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
driftguy (07-03-2015), DriftinFRS (07-09-2015), frsvr4 (07-06-2015), Jose_Timberlake (07-06-2015), soulreapersteve (07-04-2015), strat61caster (07-03-2015), stugray (07-03-2015), Ultramaroon (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #80
driftguy

Drives: In between cars... 2018 Ninja 1000
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So, strange given the fact that the majority of other car enthusiast and media members have shared the same opinion as the OP.
Who? What media members? What car enthusiasts that actually DROVE the car? The overwhelming majority here disagrees with the OP, that's clear. I've read numerous media reviews praising the engine. Where's this majority you speak of?
driftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #81
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think anybody who says this engine is perfect is an idiot, it has drawbacks but nearly every time it gets discussed the only realistic solution proposed is some mythical I4 that simply doesn't exist, there isn't a real alternative to the FA20 being built right now to my knowledge. To me that makes the FA20 the best engine for the car. If you've got an alternative 2.0L (or less) NA engine that makes 100hp/L with a low c.g. that gets good gas mileage I'm all ears. All those factors have played a part into making this car as good as it is, sacrificing one of them could have big ramifications to the bottom line price, it's sales figures, and performance.

Points to @rice_classic for pointing out that the macpherson struts could have been ditched with an inline layout, but then again how many Toyota sports cars don't have Macphersons? Certainly Subaru has been relying on them for decades so that would be a non-Subaru component of the design? IMO drivers have been working around subpar suspensions for decades (cough mustang cough), I'll take the lower c.g.

If I had any complaint about a flat four it'd be how silly it is for a 2.0L four cylinder to have two timing chains, two heads, and four camshafts. Much heavier than a mythical I4.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
AsianStyle (07-03-2015), frsvr4 (07-06-2015), Hoahao (07-03-2015), Ultramaroon (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #82
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
When posting on this forum, you need to keep in mind that for many this is their first new car or the attainment of a dream. Most things that are not flattering to the marque are treated as personal attacks. Just the nature of the beast, been here since the cars came out and I don't expect anything will ever change.
There is a lot of immaturity on this board, for sure. But to be honest, your dislike of all boxer engines seem to stem from superficial reasons, hearsay, and paranoia. Anyone with a logical head on their shoulders will consider this approach irrational.

Of course a message board full of people who actually own the car will have more positive things to say about it than another board full of enthusiasts of a different platform. People gravitate to what they like and that's fine, but don't hate on others opinions.

The engine isn't perfect, no engine is apparently, but it's pretty damn good at what it does. Throw a catback on it and the sound gives it a whole new character. Subaru are just as reliable as any other engine maker, and plenty of Subarus go well into the 200k+ mile range. The flat layout does introduce some issues, but they're minor, and far from catastrophic flaws.

Instead of plain hating boxers altogether because they don't have the same appeal as some sexy V8 with sculpted intakes and flowing headers, why not look for things to appreciate?
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (07-03-2015), strat61caster (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #83
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
I should also point out that boxer engines are the preferred engine for small aircraft up to ~400 hp.
That is due in large part to it's inherent reliability.
Anyone who has been to a aircraft museum would know that the boxer layout has been used in more IC vehicles than almost any other.

Last edited by stugray; 07-03-2015 at 06:31 PM.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #84
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Subaru are just as reliable as any other engine maker, and plenty of Subarus go well into the 200k+ mile range. The flat layout does introduce some issues, but they're minor, and far from catastrophic flaws.
Especially the naturally aspirated ones...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stupid thread