follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Vmax911

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone running "on-axis" components up front?

Here's a little bit of my audio history with this car.
I am running a CDT 3-way system in the stock locations. I first installed it using 100W a side and the passive crossover. It was an improvement over stock, but lacked in the midbass and sounded a bit muddy at high volumes.

I then did a quasi active system, actively crossing the 6.5" drivers at 440Hz, and high passing the 3" in dash at 460Hz with a steep filter. 100W to the 6.5's, and 100W to the passive crossover for the 3" and tweeter. This got rid of the muddy sound. It sounded pretty good, but the sound stage still seemed to be anchored right at the dash speakers.

Stage 3 involved me getting a DSP, which allowed me to EQ both channels independently, and time align the drivers. This really improved the SQ, and brought the soundstage up into the windshield. It also allowed me to EQ out the midbass dip. I'm really liking the way it sounds, but wonder if I could get more "air" into the sound by trying to get the dash speakers on axis.

I was thinking of trying a 2" wideband and trying to angle it to be on axis yet still under the stock speaker grills. Then I would have to figure out what to do with the tweeters. Has anyone done a custom install or got the mids/tweets on axis? Or does anyone have any experience with on axis vs bouncing off the glass like the stock locations do in our specific vehicle?
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
you might have more luck on diymobilaudio. I haven't been over there in years, but I would be surprised if someone wasn't attempting what you are, and could help you out.

Good luck with the install.

BTW, what process are you using? I'm thinking of picking up a minidsp when I finally do my install.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
Vmax911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
you might have more luck on diymobilaudio. I haven't been over there in years, but I would be surprised if someone wasn't attempting what you are, and could help you out.

Good luck with the install.

BTW, what process are you using? I'm thinking of picking up a minidsp when I finally do my install.
Yeah, I will probably post over on Diyma. I wanted to check here since frequency response is so vehicle specific. I'm sure there are some audiophiles here somewhere.

I'm using a Ppi dsp-88r. The cheapest of the cheap. It seems to have a bad rap on the car audio forums. It has worked flawlessly for me, but I've only had it for a few months.

I was considering doing the MiniDsp. But I didn't feel knowledgeable enough to pull the trigger on a 2x8, or two 2x4's. And then I'd need a case, and a power supply. And do I need balanced or unbalanced, etc. But I hear that once you get past that part it's a pretty flexible unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vmax911 For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 AM   #4
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax911 View Post
Yeah, I will probably post over on Diyma. I wanted to check here since frequency response is so vehicle specific. I'm sure there are some audiophiles here somewhere.

I'm using a Ppi dsp-88r. The cheapest of the cheap. It seems to have a bad rap on the car audio forums. It has worked flawlessly for me, but I've only had it for a few months.

I was considering doing the MiniDsp. But I didn't feel knowledgeable enough to pull the trigger on a 2x8, or two 2x4's. And then I'd need a case, and a power supply. And do I need balanced or unbalanced, etc. But I hear that once you get past that part it's a pretty flexible unit.
Actually, I was told the other day that the r88 is a minidsp, just with some lipstick and rouge. That could be wrong, the source wasn't exactly and industry insider, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Vmax911

Quote:
Actually, I was told the other day that the r88 is a minidsp, just with some lipstick and rouge. That could be wrong, the source wasn't exactly and industry insider, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised.
So the previous version, the PPI DEQ.8 (and it's sister the Soundstream synthesis) were the minidsp versions. The 88r (and the Soundstream Harmony) are a different breed. Again, I've had no problems with mine, maybe the later models have newer firmware or something.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
So the previous version, the PPI DEQ.8 (and it's sister the Soundstream synthesis) were the minidsp versions. The 88r (and the Soundstream Harmony) are a different breed. Again, I've had no problems with mine, maybe the later models have newer firmware or something.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Try this link: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...build-log.html

I've heard the car and it sounds amazing. I'm doing something similar in my car, but using different gear. Right now I'm having 4" mids glassed into the dash panels (similar to the thread). I also have tweets in custom A-pillars and will do a passenger foot well sub enclosure once the new SI BM MK V subs come out (shallow moutn 12" sub). Amps and processor will be in the spare tire wheel well.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmbkk For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-21-2015), DAEMANO (08-20-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
Vmax911

Thanks for the link. I'm only about 17 pages in (lol) but it looks like he likes the stock location in the dash for the mids. Maybe I'll just play with repositioning the tweets for now.

I'd like to see pics of y our setup as well!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'm only about 17 pages in (lol) but it looks like he likes the stock location in the dash for the mids. Maybe I'll just play with repositioning the tweets for now.

My goal is to use some Morel tweeters and just run a 2.1 setup. I've got some ID OEMs, and I'm hoping they'll play well together. Especially if I can mount the tweeters on axis. But my first goal is to keep all drivers under the factory panels.

I never even considered going IB for the sub though. I'm going to have to read through all 51 pages of that thread now to see how it turned out.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
Vmax911

Quote:
My goal is to use some Morel tweeters and just run a 2.1 setup. I've got some ID OEMs, and I'm hoping they'll play well together. Especially if I can mount the tweeters on axis. But my first goal is to keep all drivers under the factory panels.

I never even considered going IB for the sub though. I'm going to have to read through all 51 pages of that thread now to see how it turned out.
I'd like to stay under the stock grills as well. How low can you crossover those Morel tweets?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #11
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
I'd like to stay under the stock grills as well. How low can you crossover those Morel tweets?
Morel says 1400 Hz. I'll likely try a little closer to 2000 Hz and work my way up. The ID OEMs have a carbon fiber cone. The stiffness of that cone should allow them to play well up to a similar frequency.

Last edited by Calum; 08-22-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
First post on the forum, but since I'll be going with the same subwoofer setup as the DIYMA brz, I thought I'd update you guys. The ib install is gone, replaced by a single stereo integrity bm mkiv, installed in the passenger foot well under the glove box.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
First post on the forum, but since I'll be going with the same subwoofer setup as the DIYMA brz, I thought I'd update you guys. The ib install is gone, replaced by a single stereo integrity bm mkiv, installed in the passenger foot well under the glove box.

Very nice. I had 2 Mk IV's and traded them for a Mosconi 300.2 amp. I'm holding out for the Mk V to be released and put it in the foot well also.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Quote:

I have the tweets and door speakers installed, but no amps in yet. It'll probably be a month or so before I get the dash pods. Once I get it all ready to go I'll take pics of the install. I can post an A-pillar pic, though if you want.