follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #2703
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The RS-R Sport-i and Tein Mono sport are both in that price range and have had good reviews.

I'm considering both myself for when I add coilovers next spring.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #2704
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
This is definitely something I would like to know. I have personal experience with FA for the S2000 and Evo applications and track use. Is there something different with the FRS/BRZ? Any recommendations for a good damper kit in that price range ($1,500, I'll even stretch it out to $2,000 but not including any suspension arms)? Thanks in advance.
Unfortuanately, I'd have to go do the research again. It may have been they were only rebound adjustable, but it's been a while. That certainly would have taken them off my list.

I also remember reading about some manufacturers that aren't actually building a set of coilovers tuned to the platform - it's just existing parts made to fit physically... I don't recall who was on that list.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #2705
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Wow, that's it?

Thanks I guess?
Well...I'm not one to stand up for CSG Mike (I kid I kid) but I think he was just making a joke. $1500 coilovers are going to be difficult to compare to Ohlins. I wish it were that easy. That said, there are some very good options still in your price range that are quality stuff.

One simple solution would be Bilstein HD shocks. They aren't too expensive and pair nicely with our Yellow springs. Easy way to go if you already like the look and balance of your car...you'll just get better transitions/response and a slightly better ride.

Calum on here just went from our Yellow springs to our Tarmac 0 coilovers which are roughly in your price range. His roads are quite rough, too. You could ask him what he thinks of his new set up.

Either one would make me happy for a daily driver fun BRZ/FRS and I wouldn't miss Ohlins too much. The Ohlins are very good, but still could use a little more travel.

Stretching the budget a little to around $2k would get you some Bilstein PSS10, which are very comfortable coilovers that still perform well. Progressive springs though.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (09-16-2015), Calum (09-16-2015), Clipdat (09-16-2015), CSG Mike (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #2706
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I didn't say I wanted Ohlins performance at a $1,500 price, I'm just looking for "somewhat comparable" performance.

Honestly surprised at @CSG Mike's unhelpful reply.
To me, "somewhat comparable" means "similar to" or "almost as good as". There just isn't for $1500.

I apologize if my candid answer is not to your liking; I'm just stating facts.

If the ohlins didn't offer a significant benefit at that higher price point, nobody would purchase, and they wouldn't be in business.

Asking for recommendations at $1500 is different from asking for a $1500 product that performs "somewhat comparably" to a product nearly double the price.

This is coming from a guy who doesn't like the off the shelf Ohlins r&t/dfv.

Based on your original question, my inclination is that you want performance over comfort; I'm not one to make blind recommendations. How exactly are you looking to change the behavior of your car? This will determine my recommendation.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-16-2015), wparsons (09-17-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #2707
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I also remember reading about some manufacturers that aren't actually building a set of coilovers tuned to the platform - it's just existing parts made to fit physically... I don't recall who was on that list.
There a LOT of coilovers on that list. Megan/BC did this extensively for Subaru and EVO.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-17-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #2708
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Thanks, been eyeing the Tarmac 0s for a while, just not sure if I need/want adjustable damping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Tarmac 0 coilovers which are roughly in your price range. His roads are quite rough, too. You could ask him what he thinks of his new set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #2709
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I generally like the way that the car handles with my only suspension mods being the RCE Yellows and also switching to 17x9 +45 wheels on 245/40 tires.

What I don't like is the fact that I had to run a 3mm spacer in front to fit these without hitting the oem spring perch. I'm hoping that with a coilover I can actually get a performance alignment and get some beneficial negative camber in front. Additionally, even though I want to only keep my drop around 20mm, I will be also picking up the SPC LCAs to adjust rear camber.

Regarding handling & damper performance, I don't like how "unsettled" the car feels over rough road conditions at high speeds or through mid corner bumps. If I only drove my car on the track I'd keep the Yellows with the oem dampers as they're great on perfectly smooth surfaces.

There's a few canyon roads that I drive on that I will bottom out/scrape the front of the car every time because the dampers can't rebound quickly enough to the changing road condition. So that's primarily what I'm looking to address.

And yes, I will take performance over comfort any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Based on your original question, my inclination is that you want performance over comfort; I'm not one to make blind recommendations. How exactly are you looking to change the behavior of your car? This will determine my recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #2710
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
There a LOT of coilovers on that list. Megan/BC did this extensively for Subaru and EVO.

- Andrew
Yep, completely ignores motion ratios, weight distribution, etc. And the kids wonder why that junk gets poo-poo'd.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-17-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #2711
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
so, here's a question i have for both
@Racecomp Engineering and @CSG Mike.

I recently ended up buying a used Ground Control fully adjustable coilover system with the following spring rates. It came off the car after about 7000 miles.

Here's the invoice to give you an idea of what the system contains and what sort of car and handling type it was set up for.

My build is basically as shown in the signature.

For the track I plan to use the 720form wheels with RE-71R 245/45-17s

For the street, stock wheels and michelin PSS in 225/45-17s.

I definitely want it to be stiffer for the track but not so stiff that it would be a major pain to daily drive, which I do since she is my daily.

Here are my questions:

I would like to keep the car at stock height if possible but if not, no more than a inch drop. Any issues with running with no drop ?

Would you recommend getting different spring rates? softer from the ones on the kit right now? Or run them as is.

My first track day is this coming Monday and plan to run the stock suspension and collect data around the track, sector times etc and then compare to the ground control suspension on the next track day.

What alignment settings would you recommend also by the way for a compromise setting that would work well on the track and also for DD?
Attached Images

sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #2712
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks, been eyeing the Tarmac 0s for a while, just not sure if I need/want adjustable damping.
I was also considering the zero's when I was shopping around, just decided to bite the bullet and went with the ohlins since I passed on going FI. I believe the zero's are only height adjustable. I also like Andrew's recommendation of getting the Bilstein B8 sport dampers since you already have the springs (also non adjustable).

Either way, since we both practically drive the same roads, I would recommend you get something with single adjustablility. I know its out of your budget, but I was also looking at the Bilstein B16's as an option. Keep in mind, for bumpy roads like Redwood & Pinehurst, we are mostly looking for good bump travel, which is one drawback I found with the Ohlins.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #2713
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
I generally like the way that the car handles with my only suspension mods being the RCE Yellows and also switching to 17x9 +45 wheels on 245/40 tires.

What I don't like is the fact that I had to run a 3mm spacer in front to fit these without hitting the oem spring perch. I'm hoping that with a coilover I can actually get a performance alignment and get some beneficial negative camber in front. Additionally, even though I want to only keep my drop around 20mm, I will be also picking up the SPC LCAs to adjust rear camber.

Regarding handling & damper performance, I don't like how "unsettled" the car feels over rough road conditions at high speeds or through mid corner bumps. If I only drove my car on the track I'd keep the Yellows with the oem dampers as they're great on perfectly smooth surfaces.

There's a few canyon roads that I drive on that I will bottom out/scrape the front of the car every time because the dampers can't rebound quickly enough to the changing road condition. So that's primarily what I'm looking to address.

And yes, I will take performance over comfort any day.
Yes you're at the point that you do need better dampers, especially with the wider wheels and tires and should probably skip the Bilstein HD shocks. I would look into the coilovers I mentioned. Also feel free to PM or call on the phone if you have any questions.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #2714
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post
so, here's a question i have for both
@Racecomp Engineering and @CSG Mike.

I recently ended up buying a used Ground Control fully adjustable coilover system with the following spring rates. It came off the car after about 7000 miles.

Here's the invoice to give you an idea of what the system contains and what sort of car and handling type it was set up for.

My build is basically as shown in the signature.

For the track I plan to use the 720form wheels with RE-71R 245/45-17s

For the street, stock wheels and michelin PSS in 225/45-17s.

I definitely want it to be stiffer for the track but not so stiff that it would be a major pain to daily drive, which I do since she is my daily.

Here are my questions:

I would like to keep the car at stock height if possible but if not, no more than a inch drop. Any issues with running with no drop ?

Would you recommend getting different spring rates? softer from the ones on the kit right now? Or run them as is.

My first track day is this coming Monday and plan to run the stock suspension and collect data around the track, sector times etc and then compare to the ground control suspension on the next track day.

What alignment settings would you recommend also by the way for a compromise setting that would work well on the track and also for DD?

What I'm getting from that is you're running 475/500 f/r?

If I remember my Eibach stuff right, 0600.250.500 is a 6" long spring, 2.5" diameter, 500lbs per inch
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #2715
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What I'm getting from that is you're running 475/500 f/r?

If I remember my Eibach stuff right, 0600.250.500 is a 6" long spring, 2.5" diameter, 500lbs per inch
it is 500 front and a 475 rear. heavier spring to account for the added weight of the supercharger I was told.

Will I be able to keep stock height with this spring setup or close to it?

I was told it is 64$ for each new spring if I wanted different spring rates.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #2716
DerHauptDigga

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am looking for a good coilover setup around 2k or under.
I daily my FRS, and have a 100 mile round trip commute for work everyday.
Am I a damn fool for even thinking about buying coilovers?
Or is there a well balanced comfort/performance based coilover someone could recommend to me?

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.
DerHauptDigga is offline   Reply With Quote