follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
RevoG

Drives: Hot Lava 86 MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Electric Power Steering (EPS) noisy

Good day to all,

I have tried to research this but cannot find anyone with the same problem. So was hoping someone on here has had it or can help me out. When driving over uneven terrain, like cobble stones, I hear a rattle coming from the steering column. I have tried finding the cause and after several attempts found that the rattling sound is coming from the EPS. When I disengage it and turn the steering wheel I can hear the rattle. So it seems that I am in need of a replacement.

Anyone else ever have one fail on them?

RevoG
JR Supercharger, JR RS Pulley, JR Oil cooler, JDL UEL header, Dual resonated 3" JDL Overpipe Front pipe, Perrin 3" resonated cat back exhaust, Upgraded Koyorad radiator, ECUTek tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5, Bridgestone RE003 265/35/18, KW V3 Coilovers, Valenti sequential taillights, Kartboy short shifter kit
RevoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Is it by chance just loose on the column? By the description it sounds like too much play in the internal gears, but could also just be loose and moving around.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #3
RevoG

Anyone have any update on this? Seeing as my car is a Middle Eastern version I have several friends that all have the same problem. At the moment we have 5 cars with the same rattle, and some cars are completely stock.

Now I have inspected the steering box, replaced the steering arms as well as the steering column. Problem persists. It is clear that the rattle originate from inside the cabin, so the only two things left is the EPS or the shaft to the steering wheel. I am confident that it is the EPS but it is expense to replace on my own dime. (And no, the dealer is not an option)

So I need to find out if anyone has had this problem in the past and what was done to rectify it.
JR Supercharger, JR RS Pulley, JR Oil cooler, JDL UEL header, Dual resonated 3" JDL Overpipe Front pipe, Perrin 3" resonated cat back exhaust, Upgraded Koyorad radiator, ECUTek tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5, Bridgestone RE003 265/35/18, KW V3 Coilovers, Valenti sequential taillights, Kartboy short shifter kit
Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
RevoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Is it by chance just loose on the column? By the description it sounds like too much play in the internal gears, but could also just be loose and moving around.
No, the column is not loose. Have checked that already. Too much lay in the internal gears is probably the problem but do I replace the EPS or the upper steering shaft.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Is entirely removing the PS unit an option..? It's not like our cars are that heavy...
Old 10-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Cars are relatively light for modern ones. But w/o PS assist steering is VERY heavy. Old russian trucks that never had PS were MUCH easier to steer then twins w/o PS. Try stopping engine and turn wheel when stationary. Simple enough test to perform.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (10-12-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Is entirely removing the PS unit an option..? It's not like our cars are that heavy...
The steering ratio and probably the caster are set up for power steering so you'll probably hate it at parking lot speeds.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
wparsons (10-12-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
asnoir

Drives: An old Citroen Xantia TD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hello. Could you say me how do you disengage the EPS ? Thanks
asnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnoir View Post
Hello. Could you say me how do you disengage the EPS ? Thanks
Pull the fuse. The car is brutal to steer without it though.
jcw99 (04-11-2019), wparsons (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
darksnyder

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 (Hot Lave)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoG View Post
At the moment we have 5 cars with the same rattle, and some cars are completely stock.
Make it 6. Having the same rattle as well. I think some local garages are working on finding a fix. Found something interesting on the Australian forum, I think they have the same issue as the GCC specs:

"Hi all, Ive done a lot of research over the weekend and today and come up with some interesting results. I was able to simulate the exact same noise that we have grown to hate in both cars sitting in the drive way but not to the same extent as driving over rough roads so i am 90% convinced its not in the suspension, rack or intermediate shaft but in the power steer unit.
The Electronic power steer unit or EPS is made by JTEKT a sub company of Toyota I believe. JTEK make all sorts of automotive stuff including the Torsen LSD in the 86/BRZ. The column P.Steer or C-EPS has / is used by countless brands and models including Toyota Corolla so i had a look at the 86 and my 2009 Corolla and they are 99 % identical, DAM. On the JTEKT web site i stumbled across some engineering publications and in these I found that they have been chasing an issue that they call rattle and back lash of the worm drive gear in the C-EPS, one artical also mentions inverse input, I.E input forces from the wheels over rough roads ( bumps)to the C-EPS and how the C-EPS dampened's these inputs via electronic inputs so the driver does not feel these input forces from the road at the steer wheel and that this dampening may increase rattle backlash over rough roads. They also mention in depth how they have tried to reduce this "rattle" and development is on going. So it seems that any car that uses this type of C-EPS has the potential to make this noise over rough roads. I have added a link if anyone would like some light reading, I will be seeing Toyota tomorrow armed with this info.
Click on the link JTEKT ENGINEERING JOURNAL scroll down to the blue journal, No.1009E 2012 Automotive Technology Special Edition, click the drop down list and scroll to TECHNICAL REPORTS then the 4th line down click on Development of rattle noise analysis...... there's also and artical the 2006 journal."

http: / / *************/forum/f16/all-gt86-owners-must-read-3164/index22.html
darksnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I've been chasing a rattle like this for a while, I'm becoming convinced it's the PS unit too.
It got worse after mounting my Volks, which makes sense, the lighter wheels have less inertia to dampen forces from the road that get transfered to the tie rods.

Early 2013 model here.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I have this too. @darksnyder lead me to searching for a fix from the Corolla community and I've found a lot of discussion about this problem there. Turns out the Corolla, Lexus C200h and a few other Toyotas have very similar if not identical EPS systems. I see several different fixes for this problem. I see one guy simply tightened the bolts on the linkage. Some shimmed up the bearing. Mine seems to be coming from inside the EPS motor though. I've seen people take the EPS housing off and pump it full of grease. I'm really shocked there isn't more talk about this problem on this forum, especially from people who track their cars. I suspect because there have only been a dozen Twins sold and they are all low mileage compared to the gazillion Corollas that are on the road with 200K+ on them.

Tonight if I get a chance I am going to loosen and retighten the bolts on the linkage and see if that helps. If not I may take the whole thing apart this weekend and see if I can figure something out. Mine is getting worse by the day. If I do any hard braking it makes all kinds of racket.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-16-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
T0rt0r0

Drives: European gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Could you please try to take some pictures ?

I'm chasing a similar sound !

Thanks
T0rt0r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0rt0r0 View Post
Could you please try to take some pictures ?

I'm chasing a similar sound !

Thanks

I will for sure. I suspect a lot of people have this chatter and try to chase it down in the suspension when really it’s in the EPS.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote