follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #1
megamarines

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to megamarines
AutomotiveTouchup Paint Experience?

Hey guys, so I'm looking up methods on how to paint some wide fender pieces and noticed AutomotiveTouchup makes ready to go 12 oz spray cans of paint with our color codes. I'm looking at their C2Z Yuzu to match my own, and was wondering if it's a good investment to paint them myself using this method.

Obviously sand the pieces down, prime, spray, and clearcoat; but is the spray can method effective for such a large surface area? Or am I wasting my time?

Paint can be seen here: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...ion/2015/fr-s/

Anyway, any help would be seriously appreciated. Thanks!
megamarines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have used this on my Argento FR- S. It works great. I put a big gash in my fender by hitting a table saw in my garage. I tried touch up paint but it looked like crap. So I got serious and bondo'ed it. Then sanded it smooth. And I mean SMOOTH (1000 grit sandpaper).Then sprayed it with 3 layers of base coat and one layer of clear coat. After a couple days I rubbed it down with rubbing compound and it looks perfect. And silver is a really hard color to match.
You just need to take your time and pay close attention to details. Any slight defect in preparation will really show through.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
megamarines (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
megamarines

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to megamarines
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I have used this on my Argento FR- S. It works great. I put a big gash in my fender by hitting a table saw in my garage. I tried touch up paint but it looked like crap. So I got serious and bondo'ed it. Then sanded it smooth. And I mean SMOOTH (1000 grit sandpaper).Then sprayed it with 3 layers of base coat and one layer of clear coat. After a couple days I rubbed it down with rubbing compound and it looks perfect. And silver is a really hard color to match.
You just need to take your time and pay close attention to details. Any slight defect in preparation will really show through.
Were the three basecoats with one spay can? Also do you have pics?
megamarines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes it was one can. 12 oz. of paint will cover a lot. As far as pictures go, I could post one but you wouldn't see anything. The repair was perfect. Just like new.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote