follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
stlgrym3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flex fuel kit, how safe are they?

Thinking of getting flex fuel kit with ACE 350 header and Delicious tuning. Not sure how safe the kit is. it’s altering factory fuel line/system, so for a non-technical guy like myself it sounds dangerous even though the power gain is really enticing.
stlgrym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
it is safe! you are adding 3 more connections and more fuel line so technically you are increasing you chances for an issue but it is so low I would not worry about it. Also stick with the OEM lines. Those are compatible with E85. The AN lines are not unless you get Teflon. plus with the AN lines you more than double you connection points.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
stlgrym3

Thanks. My next question is I’m fully aware of the Ethanol gain over petro, but I’m pretty sure most of the time I will run mixture of petro and e85 in my tank, can you really feel the power difference with mixture of fuel over straight up petro?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yes, you can feel quite a difference on a mixture. I am on the 2nd revision from Delicious; the red curve is straight 93, the blue curve is on 5 gallons of e85.
Attached Images

Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #5
stlgrym3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Yes, you can feel quite a difference on a mixture. I am on the 2nd revision from Delicious; the red curve is straight 93, the blue curve is on 5 gallons of e85.
Thanks, are u running Ace header with delicious flex fuel tune? The dyno chart numbers look kind of low for that setup. Isnt it supposed to push upward to 200whp with those mods?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I've had no issue with my kit. Got mine in '16.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
86p0wa

Drives: 2013 FR-S(Traded in) 2018 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My 13 FRS had E85 and I miss it on my new 86... soon
86p0wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgrym3 View Post
Thanks, are u running Ace header with delicious flex fuel tune? The dyno chart numbers look kind of low for that setup. Isnt it supposed to push upward to 200whp with those mods?

Yes, no idea why it is calculating this low, the difference between the current and stock hp is easily felt.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:13 AM   #9
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I too can say the difference is easily felt. If the difference from stock to header was a 10, the difference from 91 to E85 was about a 3 for me. Still noticeable, but not a horribly sad day if I have to run 91. Especially with the ACE header, the gains won't be a 10. I have yet to dyno the car while on ethanol with my setup, but from what I've read the ACE does such a good job, the gains for ethanol are smaller in comparison. Don't get me wrong though, it was a good decision.

On the safety note, I believe the kit is safe. I have yet to notice any fuel leaking or smells of ethanol from the engine bay. There was a kit out there that was catching peoples' cars on fire because they were leaking. I'd go with Delicious personally (totally not a biased opinion ). They're a great company to work with, and their flex kit is on point.
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:07 AM   #10
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgrym3 View Post
The dyno chart numbers look kind of low for that setup. Isnt it supposed to push upward to 200whp with those mods?
It's Virtual Dyno.....

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #11
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
OP: I have ran ACE and Delicious Tunings Flex Fuel kit on a couple of different BRZs. I can recommend the kit with no reservations. My main concern is that your expectations are realistic. The power difference is noticeable but not a huge leap. However, I have a hard time enjoying a stock BRZ now compared to one running an ACE and E85. The BRZ really feels proper with the FF kit and the ACE. I agree with other poster's that the E85 over 91/93 isn't huge but is noticeable. However, the cars throttle response and smoothness are what really make it even more fun to drive on E85. We all did it for more power, but E85 always seems to make a car feel like its having its best day. All the cobwebs are knocked out. This is not unique to the BRZ, but if you want your BRZ to be the best version of itself while still feeling stockish. You can't do any better in my opinion than the ACE/DTFF combo. I have tried, and failed to find a better set of initial mods.

I have ran a)OFT/OFH. b)OFT/Tomie Header. c)Ecutek/Tomei. Ace is the best, and with FF and Delicious tuning, its a great setup. Out of all the mods I have done to cars, its one of the least likely to cause buyers remorse or cause reliability concerns. I would suggest doing the revision map runs with Delicious, but if logging and etuning is not your thing...you can just run the base map with likely no issues.

I have been through the process 3 times with Delicious pertaining to a BRZ. Its an easy thing todo.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
SkyeHack (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
stlgrym3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
OP: I have ran ACE and Delicious Tunings Flex Fuel kit on a couple of different BRZs. I can recommend the kit with no reservations. My main concern is that your expectations are realistic. The power difference is noticeable but not a huge leap. However, I have a hard time enjoying a stock BRZ now compared to one running an ACE and E85. The BRZ really feels proper with the FF kit and the ACE. I agree with other poster's that the E85 over 91/93 isn't huge but is noticeable. However, the cars throttle response and smoothness are what really make it even more fun to drive on E85. We all did it for more power, but E85 always seems to make a car feel like its having its best day. All the cobwebs are knocked out. This is not unique to the BRZ, but if you want your BRZ to be the best version of itself while still feeling stockish. You can't do any better in my opinion than the ACE/DTFF combo. I have tried, and failed to find a better set of initial mods.

I have ran a)OFT/OFH. b)OFT/Tomie Header. c)Ecutek/Tomei. Ace is the best, and with FF and Delicious tuning, its a great setup. Out of all the mods I have done to cars, its one of the least likely to cause buyers remorse or cause reliability concerns. I would suggest doing the revision map runs with Delicious, but if logging and etuning is not your thing...you can just run the base map with likely no issues.

I have been through the process 3 times with Delicious pertaining to a BRZ. Its an easy thing todo.

Thank you. I’m currently on Tomei with OFT myself and not quite happy with the power gain. I’m contemplating with getting Jackson racing C30 to go with my header and Delicious custom tune, or stick NA with ACE Delicious FF package.

Do you feel a significant different between Tomei/OFT and your setup now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
You feel more power/torque everywhere with the ACE and DTFF tune. But, its not a transformation. Is it worth the money, to me yes, but it wont make your car real world quicker over the Tomei. It will run better, throttle will feel better on tip-in, you will feel a better swell of power(zero torque dip)...but its still a small swell. ACE/DT will fill in the gaps of your header setup. But no header is going to make your car a whole new machine. JRSC, that will do it.

So be honest with yourself of what you want from your car. An ACE/DTFF BRZ is a great NA car. But its still NA, so if you honestly want a definite kick in the pants, you will have to go FI. You can run FI on a Tomei no problem, its a good header. The tune could be what your missing. Nothing against Shiv, he has a decent budget option....but the DT/Ecutek is just at a different level. However, if you have the time and the budget..you could go ACE and DTFF. Enjoy it for a bit, and then go JRSC when/if you want more power.

Your biggest drawback is the tune most likely, not the hardware...but the ACE is better make no mistake. But we are talking in range of 10hp, not 30HP or 40HP. ACE is great, but not magic. So, its worth it to me to change...but is it worth it to you. I can't answer that. I have ran ACE on a past BRZ, so now I can't go backwards, and not have ACE on my new BRZ. So I'm screwed, I have to go ACE and DT

I wouldn't be happy with anything less.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
stlgrym3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
You feel more power/torque everywhere with the ACE and DTFF tune. But, its not a transformation. Is it worth the money, to me yes, but it wont make your car real world quicker over the Tomei. It will run better, throttle will feel better on tip-in, you will feel a better swell of power(zero torque dip)...but its still a small swell. ACE/DT will fill in the gaps of your header setup. But no header is going to make your car a whole new machine. JRSC, that will do it.

So be honest with yourself of what you want from your car. An ACE/DTFF BRZ is a great NA car. But its still NA, so if you honestly want a definite kick in the pants, you will have to go FI. You can run FI on a Tomei no problem, its a good header. The tune could be what your missing. Nothing against Shiv, he has a decent budget option....but the DT/Ecutek is just at a different level. However, if you have the time and the budget..you could go ACE and DTFF. Enjoy it for a bit, and then go JRSC when/if you want more power.

Your biggest drawback is the tune most likely, not the hardware...but the ACE is better make no mistake. But we are talking in range of 10hp, not 30HP or 40HP. ACE is great, but not magic. So, its worth it to me to change...but is it worth it to you. I can't answer that. I have ran ACE on a past BRZ, so now I can't go backwards, and not have ACE on my new BRZ. So I'm screwed, I have to go ACE and DT

I wouldn't be happy with anything less.
I have heard Delicious does make custom tune for JRSC with Tomei, but not a lot of people have this setup so I’m kind of on the fence on that.